Caedmon

I love the name [name]Caedmon[/name] for for the fact that he was the first English poet, given his song by God and for its Old English sound and look. My dilemma on it is the pronunciation. I once told my medieval English professor I wanted to name my son after [name]Caedmon[/name], and she said that I’d better use it as a middle name, because it started with the word “cad”! I know that she is right, that the Old English pronunciation is Cad-mun. My question is, does that matter? When you see it, do you automatically think “cad”? Or would you say “[name]Cade[/name]-mun”? And does anyone even use the word “cad” in a derogatory sense anymore?

bump?

[name]Caedmon[/name] is pronounced “cad mun” which would lead me to advise you to use it for a middle name. It is sometimes noted as Irish, Celtic or Welsh meaning “war warrior”. I have heard the word “cad” quite often in recent months in regard to the numerous celebritites who are committing adultery at an alarming rate. In the modern era of instant news and public interest in the lives of others, the term will be used with increased frequency I believe.

I honestly pronounced it “[name]Kay[/name]-edmon”, at first glance. It is a nice name though.

And I have no idea what “cad” means, which means maybe other people don’t either.

I would pronounce it correctly. Caed-man sounds like you are making up a new variation on the trendy [name]Cade[/name], and is [name]WAY[/name] too close to the ubiquitous [name]Caden[/name].

I actually missed the “M” when I first saw this post- I thought it was another variant spelling of [name]Caden[/name]. I think that might be a problem.

Although the old english pronunciation would be Cad-Mun, the modern pronunciation is Cayd-mon. There are many names/words that were pronounced one way back in the day that have changed over time. There is actually a modern christian band called [name]Caedmon[/name]'s Call, and they pronounce it Cayd-mon.

If you run into any pronunciation issues when people first meet your son, you or he can always gently correct them - I’m sure the same is true of many people today!

I’m with monkeyandthebee - I don’t know the “proper” pronunciation, but I’ve always said “Cayd-mon’s” Call too, and I think that’s how I’ve heard others say it too.

on second thought - I’m kind of bummed that I’ve been pronouncing it incorrectly and I would prefer my erroneous version, but the purist in me would have difficulty deliberately pronouncing it incorrectly. I still think it’s a great name.

I agree with Monkeyandthebee, it’s correct old English pronunciation is Cad-mun but I’ve had professors pronounce it Cayd-mun. And even if you were to go with the old english pron. I’ve never heard anyone (at least in my area) seriously use the term ‘cad’ in a derogatory sense, in fact I thought of the word ‘caddie’ before I thought of ‘cad’ because I’ve heard that term used more frequently…

I’m still here trying to figure out how I ever came to think that this name had three syllables and was said like [name]CA[/name]-ed-mon. Maybe someone told me that it was. I’m not sure, but I’m just in shock that this name has two syllables. Where did that idea come from? :lol:

Wow, thanks for the replies, everyone! I have to agree with some of you. I like the sound of “[name]CADE[/name]-mun” but I would always know it was “CAD-mun”–and I’m too much of a purist/history lover/snob to let myself say it the other way. Maybe this is one I’ll just have to let go. Great name, though!

It’s an interesting name becuase it is so uncommon but to be honest, it looks tryndee at first glance and while it may not matter to you, most people probably wont bother to find out about it and discover that it is in fact not trendy. Also I keep hearing it as Cave man, I’m not sure why. My apologies for being so blunt. :wink:

We appreciate bluntness here!

(And this isn’t one of my REAL contenders, anyway, just something I always liked. :wink: )

My brother is named after [name]Caedmon[/name] - Caed is his name, my mom chopped off the “mon” part. We pronounce it like [name]Cade[/name]. It IS in the middle place though; he goes by his middle. :slight_smile: