Calgary?

Would Calgary be way too out there for a boy’s name? I totally adore it, but I’m afraid no one else would. Place names are really in, as are [name_u]Cal[/name_u] names ([name_m]Calvin[/name_m], [name_m]Callum[/name_m]), so could Calgary work? Calgary, [name_f]Canada[/name_f] does have significance to me as a place, so that adds to my love of the name. I’d pair it with something sensible and well-known like Calgary [name_m]Marcus[/name_m], and I’d probably nickname him [name_u]Cal[/name_u]. So what do you think: useable or just too much?

Calgary is an interesting place name to get you to [name_u]Cal[/name_u]. I love the idea of using a meaning name for your child.

However, knowing Calgary, I wouldn’t name a child after it - not sure where you’re from, but here on the west coast Calgary has a certain reputation I wouldn’t saddle a kid with. Plus, if I step away from the city association, it’s a strange name, it’s actually two names smooshed together - [name_u]Cal[/name_u] + [name_u]Gary[/name_u]. [name_u]Cal[/name_u] is having a comeback, [name_u]Gary[/name_u] not so much.

If you love [name_u]Cal[/name_u], and want something less-heard for a longer form:
[name_m]Calloway[/name_m] (my personal fave!)
[name_m]Caledon[/name_m]
[name_m]Calhoun[/name_m]
[name_m]Calix[/name_m]

I am a huge fan of [name_u]Cal[/name_u]- names but find Calgary a little too out there for my tastes. I think it totally works as a middle name.

My favorite [name_u]Cal[/name_u]- names for boys:
[name_m]Caledon[/name_m]
[name_m]Callen[/name_m]
[name_m]Callahan[/name_m]
[name_m]Calloway[/name_m]
[name_m]Callum[/name_m]
[name_m]Calisto[/name_m] / [name_m]Calixto[/name_m] (probably wouldn’t name a kid this but I like it all the same!)
And, super out there: [name_u]Calypso[/name_u]. I can’t help it, I love it for a boy or girl.

My cousin’s named this! I’ve always liked it, it is a bit different but I think the [name_u]Cal[/name_u] nickname ~normalizes~ it a bit. We’re east coasters so I don’t think any negative associations with the city have ever been a problem.

It would be cool to see someone else using it!

I’m from the east coast, so I’m not familiar with an negative reputations. Are they really terrible? Here on the east coast I doubt many people have heard of the negative associations, just like I haven’t. So maybe over here it’s more useable… But I wouldn’t want to burden a child with a name that would give him trouble if he decided to travel someday.

And I’ve also thought about the fact that it’s kind of a name hybrid. I agree that [name_u]Gary[/name_u] is really out of style, but when I say Calgary, I don’t really put a lot of emphasis on the end, so it doesn’t really sound anything like [name_u]Gary[/name_u]. And perhaps since it is a hybrid of two more well-known names that makes it more useable?

Thanks for your honest feedback. :slight_smile:

Woah, I never thought I’d hear of another Calgary! That’s so awesome to know that someone else has used it and gotten away with it! I’m an east coaster as well and haven’t really heard of any negative associations with the city, so I’m hoping that wouldn’t be a big problem. Thanks for your feedback. :slight_smile: