Calling all BOY moms!

FINAL UPDATE: Y’all I have been drawing and coloring triceratops’ for DAYS! We are just using balloon in orange, green, yellow, and black and decorating a wall in the living room with the drawings, a picture banner with lights that has pictures from birth, one week, and from April - March, and a Happy 1’st birthday banner.

UPDATE:
What idea do you think of when you see the colors like fluorescent orange, lime green, and turquoise?

Original Post:
My son, Salem is turning ONE in March. We are trying to pick a theme for his party but we don’t want the traditional Mickey Mouse, Paw Patrol, Dinos, Car/Trucks, Wild-One, etc.
We haven’t found anything he likes yet to base anything off of.

What theme/idea did you use for your little boys 1st birthday?

Not a mom, but I have little brothers! One of my brothers had a farm themed b-day and the other had a plane themed one. Similarly, I (a girl, not a boy) had a circus themed b-day when I turned one.
[name_f]Hope[/name_f] this gives you a few ideas!

1 Like

Our little boy is about to be born, so haven’t thrown him any birthday parties yet!

Is there something he enjoys that feels less traditional to you? A favorite tv show or character or place? Maybe even his favorite color?

That’s the thing though, he doesn’t show interest in anything.

Maybe safari? That could be cute with little animals.

Dr Seuss? You could do different book and character themes.

First bee-day with little bumble bees I’ve seen a friend do before.

Winder one-der land with snow and winter stuff depending on if it’s cold where you are

1 Like

my neighbor just had a first trip around the sun with stars, suns, constellations, etc for her son and it looked so cute! i also just saw on instagram a ‘sweet little one’ party with lots of donuts, cakes, cookies etc which i thought was adorable.
other ideas
harry potter chosen one
reelin in a big one- fishing
one-derland peter pan

3 Likes

His birthday is [name_u]March[/name_u] 20th and I feel like that’s more into spring than winter.
I’ve thought about a [name_f]Easter[/name_f] theme but I feel like that should be for [name_f]April[/name_f] babies.

I liked the peter pan idea but my fiance just ruined it for me with his peter pan is a kidnapper theory

noooo LOL :joy:

1 Like

[name_m]Peter[/name_m] Rabbit would be cute for a [name_u]March[/name_u] Bday!
[name_f]My[/name_f] friend did Mr. One-derful for her little boy.

[name_f]My[/name_f] daughter will be one in [name_f]April[/name_f] and I’m planning an Under the [name_u]Sea[/name_u] theme for hers because she loves to be in water! I think its a gender neutral theme, though.

3 Likes

Mom to boys but we didn’t do a first birthday party. Instead family day trips….

But whether or not he shows interest in something shouldn’t necessarily be the biggest factor to the party. The thought on first birthdays are that the children won’t remember a thing about them and that they are more for the parents then for the kids…. So pick a theme you like best and run with it.

3 Likes

We didn’t really do a party since he was so little and covid was really bad in our area at the time. Besides, like you said, they aren’t really into anything at that age… I made a little photo area to take his birthday pictures. It wasn’t anything great. Cheap wrapping paper, a 1 balloon, a few other little balloons, gifts…

That’s really all we did, other than give him a few presents and a cute card for his memory box. He is actually about to turn 2 now and has a lot of interests now but we won’t be doing a party this year either.

I have friends who have done sea animals/narwhals, lemonade, watermelon and farm themed parties. Those ones aren’t super mainstream.

1 Like

He has shown very brief interest in things but seems as if by the end of the day that changes. I feel like it is a bit weird because all my friends were able to pick things their kids like. Cody’s niece [name_f]Journee[/name_f] is 9 months old and has been into Trolls since she was about 4 months old. His nephew [name_u]Jayden[/name_u] turned 1 in September… his party was Scooby Doo because he is obsessed. [name_f]My[/name_f] kid just seems to have commitment issues lol.

He has 3 stuffed animals he’s been attached too…
A triceatops, a bear and a raccoon… all things that are used for typical themes.

I’ve tried basing it on the colors he seems to like… orange, lime green, turquoise, and yellow. but I can’t think of anything to do with that.

[name_u]Woodland[/name_u], Farm, Zoo themed all work great for girls and boys. Does he have a favourite book or toy you could base it around? Our daughters first birthday party was a [name_m]Peter[/name_m] Rabbit theme because she LOVES her [name_m]Peter[/name_m] rabbit stuffy and has loads of bunny books she likes to read.

1 Like

Well, we don’t consider anything typical for boys or girls in our family, but these are some things my sons love or used to love:

• wild animals and the jungle
  • space
  • the circus
  • unicorns
  • dinosaurs
2 Likes

I think we did magical creatures for my son’s 2st bday like fairies, dragons and unicorns. He wore little wings and it was freaking cute as heck

1 Like

not a mom but a party planner of many a child party!

He isn’t going to remember this one, honestly he’s not gonna remember the first 3 or 4. The kind of understood thing in my circle of friends is that the first birthday party is really for the parents/family. That said, go with whichever YOU like.

Also a color theme is still a theme! You can go to Party City and find a bunch of color specific goodies.

5 Likes

What about a space theme? Like “One in a million” with stars and planets? You can do a lot with this!

1 Like

[name_f]My[/name_f] cousin’s first born had an ocean themed first birthday, he was born in [name_u]July[/name_u] and we all wore beach hats and sunglasses and hawaiian shirts :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Not a mom (yet), but for my first birthday my parents just had me and some of my friends play in the yard with bubbles and sutch, and made a cake shaped like my favorite animal!