Calling all Christians! Delilah!

I really love the name [name_f]Delilah[/name_f]! It has such a melodic sound and it’s 3 syllables but doesn’t feel like it needs a nickname. But my problem is the story of [name_m]Samson[/name_m] and [name_f]Delilah[/name_f]. I am a [name_u]Christian[/name_u] and [name_f]Delilah[/name_f] is a character in a popular story from the Bible and let’s just say she isn’t the good guy. I really love The name [name_f]Delilah[/name_f] but I worry that other Christians will find it weird that I named my daughter that. So fellow Christians what do you guys think??

1 Like

I’m a [name_u]Christian[/name_u] with [name_f]Delilah[/name_f] on my list :grimacing::woman_shrugging:t3: I know some don’t like the connection and while it’s not the most positive, I feel like I can disassociate it enough because I know quite a few little [name_f]Delilah[/name_f]’s!

I do understand why you have reservations though, as the Biblical figure was not a great one.

4 Likes

I’ve had the same worries. [name_f]Delilah[/name_f] is so beautiful, but the character is definitely not a great namesake. I recently heard [name_f]Lila[/name_f]/Lilah on a little girl recently though and thought it was a great alternative!

2 Likes

Yeah it wouldn’t be great to read that story as a little girl and know you shared a name… :grimacing:

I don’t think other Christians would judge you for it though!

I would also be hesitant, but [name_f]Delilah[/name_f] seems much more usable than [name_f]Jezebel[/name_f], for example. I wouldn’t let it bother you too much!

1 Like

Hi there! [name_f]Delilah[/name_f] is a very lovely name. However, if your daughter will be raised mostly surrounded by Christians, personally I think most people would immediately think of the [name_f]Delilah[/name_f] in Scripture when they hear your daughter’s name. I think that could be an uncomfortable commonality for your daughter, especially as a child. Like others have mentioned, [name_f]Lilah[/name_f] is a beautiful alternative!

3 Likes

I don’t think [name_f]Delilah[/name_f] is too tied to the Bibical story, but if it bothers you, you can shorten it to “[name_u]Del[/name_u]” or “[name_f]Lilah[/name_f]” or use an alternative, like [name_f]Delia[/name_f] or [name_f]Tallulah[/name_f]. Good luck.

I don’t think it’s too tied to it. I think it’s mostly tied with Hey There [name_f]Delilah[/name_f] by PWT

1 Like

I agree with this. It’s a cute name, but I don’t think it would be a good idea. Especially since she’ll know the story. It could possibly be fine as a middle name?

1 Like

Hi!

Personally as a [name_u]Christian[/name_u], I ADORE this name but wouldn’t use it because of the connotation. It’s really a shame- it’s so pretty.

I think [name_f]Delilah[/name_f] is a beautiful name and have thought about using it myself! However, my first and middle names come from the Bible. I grew up reading about who these women were in the Bible and always appreciated that they were positive examples in the faith. This also came up in school as I grew up attending a [name_u]Christian[/name_u] School and we studied the Bible, etc. These memories have made me think twice about using some otherwise very beautiful names. :pensive:

1 Like

Fellow [name_u]Christian[/name_u] here…

I’ll be honest when it comes to naming our kids, hubby and I very much look into the biblical characters legacy… and even some those Godhas used positively we’ve edged from due to negative connotations (Ex. [name_m]Judah[/name_m]… while overall positive and part of the lineage of [name_m]Christ[/name_m] he was also known for that situation with [name_f]Tamar[/name_f])

So for me [name_f]Delilah[/name_f] is one I would ever have at the top of my list. I will say if I had to pick a villain of scripture though as a name [name_f]Delilah[/name_f] could be it in that there is a radio show host who has brought great legacy to that name.

I do like that advice that if their surroundings are primarily biblical it may be good to edge away in that their peers have a good chance of also having biblical names so being [name_f]Delilah[/name_f] amongst [name_u]Noah[/name_u]’s, [name_f]Mary[/name_f]’s, and Ezras could lead to some name regret later.

1 Like

I’m a [name_u]Christian[/name_u], but it wouldn’t matter to me either way b/c I have bad associations with it from the Bible. I wouldn’t have to believe in the Bible to find the name unpleasing.

I’d probably go with [name_f]Lilah[/name_f] over [name_f]Delilah[/name_f] although I do really like the name.

To be fair, I don’t think the story of [name_f]Delilah[/name_f] is solely known by Christians. It’s pretty well known in general.

Still, I’m a [name_u]Christian[/name_u] and I’ll weigh in. Personally, [name_f]Delilah[/name_f]’s legacy is so well known, the name seems inextricably tied to this condemned woman. However, as the name [name_f]Delilah[/name_f] grows in popularity and the Plain White Tees Song song echoes throughout our heads, [name_f]Delilah[/name_f] is slowly growing a power of its own separate apart from its Biblical namesake. Additionally, I would argue that [name_f]Delilah[/name_f] was just another soldier, except she represented the Philistines, and had the story been told from her perspective, it would’ve seemed like a victory.

King Nebuchadnezzar II of Babylonia successfully ordered his people to destroy the Philistine state, so these ancient people disappeared from historical record after the end of 5 BC. Ultimately, they aren’t around to give their account and are deserving of sympathy.

The Bible is filled with warring nations, all of which include their own tales of courage. It just depends on whose side your on. Back then, a female soldier may have acted differently from her male counterparts, but she deserves the same respect. Sexuality often was/is a woman’s weapon, yet while that is denigrated, a man’s violence is rewarded.

Go for it, except I will caution you that [name_f]Delilah[/name_f] is trendy and that there will be those who may find it even shocking if they come from a devout background. If you’re worried, I would consult your local church.

Best of luck :two_hearts:

5 Likes

I wouldn’t find it super weird, honestly. I definitely think most Christians will instantly associate the name with the Biblical figure, but I don’t think it’s the same as naming your daughter, say, [name_f]Jezebel[/name_f]. [name_f]Delilah[/name_f] definitely has a lovely, appealing sound, and, while the vast majority of Christians probably won’t be able to dissociate the name from the story, most can probably overlook it. It’s probably best to ask those you are closest to about whether they’d find it inappropriate or not as I think every family and community will feel differently. :woman_shrugging:t3:

Fwiw, [name_f]Delilah[/name_f] is certainly a beautiful name, but I probably wouldn’t consider it myself because the associations are so strong – not even because one of its primary associations is negative, but purely because I’d not like to constantly have people going, :grinning: “Oh, like the song?” or :face_with_raised_eyebrow: “Oh, like [name_m]Samson[/name_m] and [name_f]Delilah[/name_f]?”
I’d lean towards [name_f]Delia[/name_f], [name_f]Daliah[/name_f], or even just [name_f]Lilah[/name_f] myself.

As a [name_u]Christian[/name_u], I’d automatically have negative associations with the name [name_f]Delilah[/name_f] based on the Biblical story

I personally would never use it. [name_f]My[/name_f] very christian family would probably flip out.

Same with the name [name_f]Jezabel[/name_f] for me.

I am a [name_u]Christian[/name_u], and personally it wouldn’t bother me. There are so many other associations with the name [name_f]Delilah[/name_f] that one negative one isn’t enough to put me off the name. ([name_m]Even[/name_m] if it is biblical)

However I think your first association with the name is the most important. So if the first thing you think of is the biblical character I would avoid it