Calling all ladies with popular names!

There were five other Jessicas in my 2nd grade class, so I got stuck with [name_u]Jessie[/name_u] for the next 20 years.

I was a [name_f]Jessica[/name_f] born in a year it was #1 for girls. I never minded having a common name. It fit me and it was nice to be part of a “club” like others have said. It has also been wonderful to have a name that is easily recognized, spelled, and pronounced.

With a “unique” name, you run the risk she will feel like an oddball and resent being singled out. With a “common” name, you run the risk she will feel like she blends into the crowd and resent being so “normal.” There are risks with any name so all you can do is pick one you love, that has meaning to you, and go with it.

It annoyed me quite a bit in school. I was always (first name) (last initial/last name). I do prefer having a common name, I think, to something completely out there - but I think there has to be an acceptable middle ground. I’m less inclined to give my own future kids a popular name - definitely outside the top #50 at least.

This has been the most fascinating thread too me.
I don’t have kids yet but I’ll be giving them very unpopular names. Names that are on point with other names like the Gladiator trend, and place names. But ones people haven’t really used yet. I’m a break the top 1000 names and I’m hesitant to use it.
That being said my name was #198 the year I was born and my sisters was #32. She’s always struggled with have a more normal name said she always felt less special.
I’d also like to put out their my kids won’t be going to a school till college. They’ll be homeschooled, so there’s no 'I knew 50 [name_u]Ashley[/name_u]‘s.’
Here’s my reasons:
Association: I’m very concerned about association causing people to treat them differently. “I knew an [name_u]Ashley[/name_u] and she was mean”
That person treats them differently.
Differentiating:
The child doesn’t feel the need to be like everyone else, and can just be themselves. (which may or may not be a problem depending on the personality of the child.
I preferred having a different names growing up.

I’m not talking outrageous names that people can’t even say, with a weird spelling. [name_m]Just[/name_m] names people haven’t heard before.

Theres pros and cons to any which way you look at it.
[name_f]Emma[/name_f] to [name_f]Gemma[/name_f]
[name_u]Hudson[/name_u] to [name_m]Judson[/name_m] (nameberry suggestion)

Maybe find a few others you like and have them ready when you deliver. Spend a bit of time with her to really figure out what her name ought to be. Or name her [name_f]Emma[/name_f], which you both love, mother knows best. :slight_smile:

I DESPISED having such a popular name. I was forever fantasising about having a name that was just a tiny but prettier or more unusual. There was an [name_f]Autumn[/name_f] in my year- an uncommon name in the UK at the time- and I was so jealous of her!

My little sister is [name_f]Sophie[/name_f], which I love, but she too also hated having a top 10 name.