Calling all NYCberries! Need a big apple MN

[name]Hi[/name]! We are looking for a creative “ode to NY” middle for our son- something w a cool, downtown vibe. Doesn’t have to be as obvious as [name]Hudson[/name]/ Astor/ etc. Any suggestions??? Dying for help! Thanks!

Come on berries! I know you have it in you!!! :slight_smile:

[name]Whitney[/name]? [name]Gramercy[/name]? Vanderbilt? [name]Moses[/name]? Stuyvesant? [name]Nathan[/name]? [name]Shea[/name]? [name]Fiorello[/name]? LaGuardia? [name]Patrick[/name]? Moynihan? [name]Lindsey[/name]? (as in [name]John[/name] V) Rockefeller? [name]Houston[/name]? [name]Amsterdam[/name]? Lexington? I don’t know, there’s lots out there. What borough? Which culture? Which ballteam? I think you need to be more specific.

I am not from NYC so take these for what they are worth! But I love NYC and here are some interesting ideas:

[name]Sutton[/name]
Bowery
[name]Carlyle[/name] (too fancy pants?)
[name]Beacon[/name] (one of my favorite theaters in the city)
[name]Apollo[/name]
[name]Rock[/name] (a’la Rockefeller)

Coney
[name]Fulton[/name]
Tompkins
Bleecker
[name]Delancey[/name]
St. [name]Mark[/name]
[name]Grant[/name]
[name]Murray[/name]
[name]Pike[/name]
[name]Ramone[/name]
Warhol
[name]Langston[/name]
Luger
[name]Carmine[/name]

It’s funny. I live in nyc and i’m having trouble with masculine allusions to the city. And I don’t think I can do better than Bowery. That one is awesome.

It’s funny. I live in nyc and i’m having trouble with masculine allusions to the city.

Same here. All I can think of are streets and neighborhoods. Nothing terribly cool sorry.
I love the Bowery ( the place and word) but as a name it is a little too close to Bowels. :?
(sorry for repeats)

[name]Leroy[/name]
[name]Sullivan[/name]
[name]Thompson[/name]
[name]Bedford[/name]
Vestry
Vandam
[name]Lafayette[/name]
[name]Kip/name
[name]Lex[/name] (for Lexington)
Abingdon
[name]Lincoln[/name]
Tompkins
[name]Eldridge[/name]
[name]Crosby[/name]
[name]Carmine[/name]
[name]Hamilton[/name] ([name]Fish[/name])
McCarren
Chatham
Katz (s)
[name]West[/name] (St)
[name]Houston[/name] ( will be mispronounced)

[name]Sheridan[/name]
[name]Dylan[/name]
Bleecker
[name]Murray[/name]
[name]Mercer[/name]
[name]Bryant[/name]
[name]Ellis[/name]
Katz
[name]Webster[/name]
Cantor
[name]Reuben[/name]
Herald

lived in nyc for years! great idea…

grammercy
union
harlem
lincoln
waverly
herald
liberty
astor
gotham
bowery
coney

is there a particular area you’re thinking of?

I really like:
[name]Sullivan[/name]
[name]Read[/name]
[name]Henry[/name]
[name]Mercer[/name]
[name]Crosby[/name]
[name]Freeman[/name]

[name]Do[/name] you have a favorite location? restaurant? neighborhood?

[name]Bryant[/name] ([name]Park[/name])
Olmstead (co-designer of Central [name]Park[/name] and Prospect [name]Park[/name]/architectural genius)
Boerum ([name]Hill[/name]–neighborhood in BK)
[name]Hoyt[/name] (St.)
St. [name]Patrick[/name] (Cathedral)
[name]Court[/name] (St. in BK Heights)
[name]Bridge[/name] (Pick one)
[name]Carroll[/name] (Gardens–best hood in NYC :slight_smile: too feminine? same with [name]Chelsea[/name]?)
[name]Ellis[/name] (Island)
[name]Dean[/name]? Deluca? Zabar?
Prospect ([name]Park[/name] in the Slope)
Riverside (another awesome park)
Met (opera/museum/bball)
[name]Rock[/name] (Rockefeller Center aka the [name]Rock[/name]).

Advise against DUMBO no matter how cool everyone thinks the 'hood is :slight_smile:

you guys are amazing! there are SO MANY to choose from! xx

Could only think of one reference, Broad, (as in Broadway) used in several ways

Boys:
Broader
Broden
Broadley

Girls:
Broelle
Broelie (I love this one)
Broanne

Odd, I know, but they might just be perfect.

[name]Whitney[/name]? What about [name]Grant[/name], for [name]Grant[/name]'s Tomb? Or [name]Marc[/name] or Chagall, for the beautiful art in the Met? Or one of the Garment District names?

[name]William[/name] O [name]Shea[/name], for [name]Shea[/name] Stadium.

Or: [name]Casey[/name] Stengal; [name]Lawrence[/name] [name]Peter[/name] (Yogi) Berra; [name]George[/name] Steinbrenner; [name]Gary[/name] [name]Carter[/name]; [name]Michael[/name] Piazza; [name]Lee[/name] Mazzilli; [name]Mickey[/name] Mantle; [name]Joe[/name] DiMaggio; [name]Jackie[/name] [name]Robinson[/name], [name]Leo[/name] Durocher; [name]Branch[/name] [name]Rickey[/name]…There are some really great baseball names from the Yankees, Dodgers, Giants, and Mets.

[name]Henry[/name] [name]Louis[/name] [name]Gehrig[/name]; [name]George[/name] [name]Ruth[/name]

I like [name]Ellis[/name] which was already mentioned. You could go with [name]York[/name] or [name]Trey[/name] (a stretch from [name]Tribeca[/name] area.

I love NYC, my sister lives in [name]Brooklyn[/name]- used to live in Manhattan.
Chrysler-my favorite building there- love the architecture! Too much like the car company?
[name]Tribeca[/name]-too close to [name]Becca[/name]?
[name]Soho[/name]
[name]Wall[/name]
[name]Piers[/name]-I worked at [name]Chelsea[/name] [name]Piers[/name] when I was there for the summer
Lexington
[name]Murray[/name] or even [name]Hill[/name] for the neighborhood
[name]Roosevelt[/name]-for the Island
[name]Kip[/name]-for Kips [name]Bay[/name]
Katz-for the well known [name]Deli[/name]
[name]Clinton[/name]
Fordham
[name]Park[/name]
[name]Hamilton[/name]
[name]Columbia[/name]
Not sure which areas are better to be named after than others. I spent my whole summer below Central [name]Park[/name]. My sister lived in the Battery [name]Park[/name] neighborhood and I worked in [name]Chelsea[/name]. So my knowledge is very limited!! I got these ideas off a map of Manhattan- there are still 4 other bouroughs to explore. Also, not sure if you specifically wanted a “place” name from somewhere in NYC or just a name that had a NYC “vibe” to it.
Good luck! By doing this I actually found a few that I really like too!! My favorites are [name]Kip[/name], Katz and [name]Tribeca[/name](but I think [name]Tribeca[/name] sounds more female)! :smiley:

I love the idea of [name]Gramercy[/name] with the nn [name]Gram[/name]. I don’t live in NY, but have been there a lot of times. [name]Don[/name]'t think I could come up with better than the PP’s.