Calling some of your kids by nicknames but not others?

So, my kids all go by a nickname at home and in our circle of family and friends. I pretty much always introduce them to strangers by their full names. One of them introduces herself by her nickname instead of her full name, which is fine, her name, her choice. I love the name [name_m]Silas[/name_m] for our next potential son, but I’m worried if we mostly call him [name_m]Silas[/name_m] he’ll feel left out? I’m a pretty natural nicknamer so I’m sure I’ll call him [name_u]Si[/name_u] a whole lot but would it be weird if we got from picked before birth nicknames to just a regular full name? Am I overthinking it and going to miss out on a name I’ve loved for years if I don’t use it for that reason?

2 Likes

I don’t think it’s weird! I would use [name_m]Silas[/name_m] – I don’t think he’ll feel left out, because he will have the nickname [name_u]Si[/name_u], even if you don’t use it as often as you use his siblings’ nicknames. [name_m]Silas[/name_m] is a great name!

1 Like

[name_u]Si[/name_u] is a really cute nickname and I’m sure he will love it!! he shouldn’t feel left out!!

1 Like

I’ve often wondered too but I don’t think it’s a big deal. [name_f]My[/name_f] two cousins have nicknames but their older sibling doesn’t and it’s never bothered her AFAIK.

1 Like

i think it’s totally fine!! in fact, my two older sisters don’t go by nicknames, my older brother sometimes does, and i usually do. my sisters have never felt left out for not having nicknames

i think Silas is lovely!!

1 Like

Defo not weird at all! In my family a couple of the siblings have nicknames that they are called 100% of the time (Ned is really [name_m]Edward[/name_m] but is never called that) whereas [name_u]Oliver[/name_u] goes by mostly [name_u]Oliver[/name_u] not Oli and I don’t have a nickname at all and it’s never been an issue

1 Like

I think it’s perfectly okay! Especially because you will call him [name_u]Si[/name_u] sometimes, or maybe even eventually he might be called a nickname not related to his name.
I go by a nickname, and my brother doesn’t have one (his name is pretty much unnicknameable!), and it’s never been an issue.

1 Like

I went by a nickname all the time, never by my full name, and my brother only very occasionally was called a nickname by a couple relatives. Neither of us ever even thought about it.

1 Like

Not weird! I go by a nickname 100% of the time, my middle sister doesn’t have one, and my youngest sister uses hers sometimes.

1 Like

I think [name_m]Silas[/name_m] is great and wouldn’t feel left out. As you mentioned [name_u]Si[/name_u] is there, and I’m sure plenty of nns and maybe unrelated pet names will crop up organically over time. [name_u]Or[/name_u] he might love [name_m]Silas[/name_m] and never want to go by a nn haha. Either way, I’d stick with a name you love.

I also worry about some of my favoutites not having nns I love as much as others, so if you are overthinking, you’re in good company :sweat_smile:.

1 Like

I don’t think it’d be weird or that he’d necessarily feel left out! If I get to use any mix of my longtime favourites, I can see myself using nicknames for some and not others. I don’t really think it’s a huge deal. It sounds like you’d be sad if you didn’t use [name_m]Silas[/name_m] & I honestly don’t think this is a reason not to use it :slight_smile:

1 Like

I don’t think it’s a big deal. [name_f]My[/name_f] brother and I primarily go by nicknames (Jack and Johnny), but our sister mostly goes by her full name (Emily) and it’s never seemed strange to me. But if you want a nickname, go for it. [name_m]Just[/name_m] don’t feel like you have to!

1 Like

Thanks everyone for the responses and encouragement!

I think it’s perfectly fine! Me and one of my brothers go by nicknames and my other two don’t. (Except we sometimes call [name_u]Logan[/name_u] “Logi” and other pet names like that since he’s the baby of the family)

Should be alright as long as [name_m]Silas[/name_m] generally fits with your other kids’ name:)