Callum for a girl?

My husband and I aren’t sure of the sex of our baby yet, but both love the name [name]Callum[/name] for a boy. We’re stumped on a girl’s name. Then my hubby suggested to keep it [name]Callum[/name] and just give her a more feminine middle name. Is that just wrong? Thoughts???

I like [name]Callum[/name] for a girl.

Funny you say that…
[name]Callum[/name] is our #1 choice for a boy too. And we have been dwelling over many girls’ names with a lot of indecisiveness, even names like [name]Calla[/name] and [name]Calista[/name].
I had thought of that idea of using [name]Callum[/name] for a girl too, but don’t like the -um ending for a girl. I wonder if softening it with another letter would make it feminine, like Callem(my favorite alternate spelling), Callam, or Callym. But then my fear is that it becomes too “made up”.
Good luck! Let us know what you decide.
What part of the world are you in?( in case we end up choosing the same name) :slight_smile:

I am in [name]California[/name] :slight_smile: I like the -em ending. Thanks for replying!

While I personally don’t care for boys’ names on girls, I can appreciate the appeal of some choices, but [name]Callum[/name] is so incredibly masculine to me (the “lum” ending sound, in particular), that I simply can’t imagine this name on a girl.

[name]Do[/name] you like [name]Calla[/name]?

Some masculine names (or just modern) names that I can see on girls:

[name]Arden[/name]
[name]Auden[/name]
[name]Bellamy[/name]
[name]Blake[/name]
[name]Connelly[/name]
[name]Carlin[/name]
[name]Darien[/name]
[name]Darby[/name]
[name]Delaney[/name]
[name]Emery[/name]
[name]Ellery[/name]
[name]Hadley[/name]
[name]Harper[/name]
[name]Linden[/name]
[name]Marlo[/name]
[name]Piper[/name]
[name]Quinn[/name]
[name]Quincy[/name]
[name]Reese[/name]
[name]Rowan[/name]
[name]Romilly[/name] (nn [name]Romy[/name])
[name]Sutton[/name]
[name]Spencer[/name]
[name]Sawyer[/name]
[name]Tierney[/name]
[name]Waverly[/name]
[name]Willoughby[/name]

Good luck! :slight_smile:

Thank you! I do like [name]Calla[/name], but just so in love with [name]Callum[/name] I want to use it. I don’t, however, want to mess with the integrity of the name, as it is a fine, masculine, Scottish name. And the names above are very in line with my taste, so thanks for this list.

I am in the D.C. suburbs so at least 2 [name]Callum[/name]'s or Callem’s won’t be in the same class. :slight_smile:

You’re welcome! In all honestly, if you don’t want to mess with the integrity of the name, you may want to save it for a little boy. Also, to me, any yooneek spellings definitely ruin the name, making it appear very trendy.

Good luck! :slight_smile:

I really, really hate the trend of boy’s names for girls. If [name]Callum[/name] now seems feminine, then I guess pretty much any traditional boy’s name can be used for a girl! Besides that, she will constantly be mistaken for a boy anywhere her name will be written down. [name]Calla[/name], [name]Calista[/name], and [name]Miriam[/name] are all similar and all gorgeous alternatives. I think [name]Callum[/name] is a really handsome name for a boy, though! :slight_smile:

I can see [name]Callum[/name] on a girl. Sure, it’s a boy’s name but there are girls called [name]Christopher[/name] and [name]George[/name] so why not [name]Callum[/name]?

Also I’m not of the opinion that once a boys name has been used for a girl it becomes ‘unusable’ for boys. I don’t agree that using a boys name for a girl is ‘stealing it’ from the boys side.

I really like boys names for girls and some girls names for boys too actually so it doesn’t bother me:)

Good [name]Luck[/name]!

• [name]Charlie[/name]

Absolutely agree. PLEASE don’t use any form of [name]Callum[/name] for a little girl.

[name]Jill[/name] & tinkerb15, I loved how you referred to the ‘integrity’ of a name. That’s a lovely way to put it.

I really don’t like it on a girl I’m afraid. I think you have to consider whether or not your daughter will mind having what has always been a traditional, Scottish boy’s name. There might be some girls who wouldn’t mind but others definitely would!

DITTO!

I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Callum[/name] for a girl or a boy! Go with your gut instinct. If you like it for a girl, then keep it.

[name]Elisabeth[/name]
[name]Baby[/name] Names Examiner

I’m usually indifferent towards boys names on girls, but [name]Callum[/name] does sound very male to me. What about [name]Callen[/name]?

I really don’t think callum would sound nice on a girl, some unisex names can sound cute but this is not feminine at all. i think callum for a boy is good but i would strongly advise against giving it to a little girl. if my parents gave me such a renound BOYS name i would not be happy… i just wouldn’t feel girly or feminine at all and to be honest rather embarrassed especially when introducing yourself for the first time. A lot of people could get confused, taking it for an obvious males name and could cause further embarrassment if she is a female. I hope you look into girls names further as i personally would feel sorry for a girl that is stuck with a name like that. I don’t think it’s unique and i don’t think its nice on a girl…go for it if you have a boy on a boy its very cute!

I think [name]Callum[/name] is adorable as a girls name…[name]Cally[/name] is cute as a nn…it’s new and fresh : ) I am reading a book and theres a name I am liking in there what do you guys think of [name]Clotilda[/name]??