Cambria

Would love to hear your opinions on [name]Cambria[/name] :smiley:

Reminds me of Coheed and [name]Cambria[/name], a band I love. I personally wouldnā€™t use it because of that, but I definitely know someone whose daughter is named [name]Cambria[/name] (though I canā€™t remember whoā€¦) and I remember thinking it was great. I like it better than using [name]Cameron[/name] (or [name]Camryn[/name] or whatever) on a girl to get the nickname [name]Cam[/name].

I am actually not a fan of Coheed and [name]Cambria[/name] (not that I donā€™t like them, Iā€™ve just never listened to them so I donā€™t know). I came upon [name]Cambria[/name] trying to think of a name that would make people say ā€œWow, I love your name!ā€ but not think that it was made up, or an old lady name or trendy or dated. And not a name that many people would have negative associations withā€¦ The kind of name you only know one person with but doesnā€™t seem weird, just really cool. [name]Cambria[/name] seems like a perfect balance to me, and I would use [name]Bree[/name] as the nickname instead of [name]Cam[/name]. Or even [name]Bria[/name] or [name]Ria[/name]ā€¦ Actually Iā€™d rather not use a nickname at all since I love the name in full and would rather people call her by it. I would maybe just pick a pet name for cutesy home usage.

My favorite part of my name is that thereā€™s a town in [name]California[/name] called [name]Lindsey[/name] and I went there a few times as a kid and took my picture there. I always thought it was SO cool that there was a city with my name! And [name]Cambria[/name] is a city in [name]California[/name] AND Pennsylvania (among other places), and I thought that would be such a neat thing to share.

P.S. What do you think of it with [name]Dashiell[/name] and what the heck would you name her sister?

[name]Cambria[/name] is definitely a good name - not trendy or dated in any way. It sounds really cool, and I bet people would give nothing but compliments to it. I canā€™t think of anything negative about it. Personally, Iā€™m not a fan of the nickname [name]Bree[/name] (all I think about is brie cheese and this obnoxious girl named [name]Brie[/name] I used to know) but thatā€™s just me. But I think [name]Bria[/name] and [name]Ria[/name] are really cute! We thought weā€™d call [name]Mia[/name] ā€œ[name]Cam[/name]ā€ or ā€œ[name]Cami[/name]ā€ when we named her, so I think Iā€™m still stuck on that. I agree that just [name]Cambria[/name] is so beautiful on its own, though.

Thatā€™s really cool that there are cities named [name]Cambria[/name] in those states (wait, which one are you from? lol). That would be a really cool tie between the two of you.

Oh, and I think itā€™s perfect with [name]Dashiell[/name]! Theyā€™re both interesting, uncommon names that are just plain cool. My gut instinct as a sister would be [name]Adelaide[/name], but I also like [name]Gwendolen[/name] and [name]Penelope[/name] for some reason.

[name]Lyndsay[/name],

I donā€™t know. Thereā€™s something about [name]Cambria[/name] that really bothers me, and maybe itā€™s that B. [name]Cambria[/name] is the classical name for [name]Wales[/name], so itā€™s sort of like [name]Caledonia[/name], which is a Latin name for [name]Scotland[/name]. So, what would I name her sister? [name]Caledonia[/name], of course! Iā€™m just not feeling [name]Cambria[/name], honestly, even though I do love [name]Bree[/name].

Especially with [name]Dashiell[/name], I much prefer your other choices, like [name]Gwendolen[/name]. Iā€™d name [name]Dash[/name]'s sister [name]Gwendolen[/name], [name]Penelope[/name], [name]Cordelia[/name], [name]Sylvia[/name], [name]Beatrix[/name], [name]Georgina[/name], [name]Violet[/name], or [name]Ramona[/name]. Something like that. Vintage and sweet, yet sturdy. Those are definitely names that grab me - Iā€™d be saying, ā€œWow, youā€™re name is amazing!ā€

[name]Just[/name] my thoughtsā€¦

[name]Lemon[/name] :slight_smile:

[name]Cambria[/name] is not the style of name I normally like but in this instance, I do quite like it. I think it would make a nice, unusual mn.
I canā€™t really see it with [name]Dashiell[/name] though and much prefer your other names- [name]Adelaide[/name], [name]Susanna[/name], [name]Gwendolen[/name], etc

I actually do think [name]Cambria[/name] has a trendy vibe, like she would have sisters named [name]Cadence[/name] and [name]Wynter[/name] or something. To me itā€™s more of a modern, invented place name, because of the fact that it has only very recently been put to use as a first name. To me, names with a longer history of use sound more sophisticated and are less likely to sound trendy. I donā€™t really think it goes with [name]Dashiell[/name], but itā€™s not like they clash horribly or anything.

It also, inexplicably, reminds me of cheese. Maybe a mixture of Camembert and [name]Brie[/name]? I donā€™t know. And it sounds similar to [name]Camry[/name], like the car, but thatā€™s probably just me. :slight_smile:

[name]LYNDSAY[/name]!

Iā€™m glad you like [name]Cambria[/name] (I love your naming style) and itā€™s going to be DD#1ā€™s middle name! Coheed and [name]Cambria[/name] is a HUGE part of mine and DHā€™s relationship and he chose [name]Cambria[/name] to be [name]Penelope[/name]'s 1st middle name (full [name]Penelope[/name] [name]Cambria[/name] [name]Belle[/name]). Obviously Iā€™m biased, but I love it and the nn [name]Cammie[/name] is cute but Iā€™m not a fan of [name]Bree[/name]/[name]Bri[/name]. Any thought on middle names to accompany it?

Iā€™m so interested in the differing opinions here!

See it has much more history of use than [name]Dashiell[/name] does. People seem to think [name]Dashiell[/name] is classic or something but its really not at all, it hardly has any history. As lemon said [name]Cambria[/name] is the classical name of [name]Wales[/name], so it certainly isnā€™t made up. Anyway, it has certainly been in use as a first name longer or more consistently than [name]Dashiell[/name] has. So I have to say that I donā€™t get how it seems trendy in that way. I mean itā€™s number nine hundred and ninety something, and it doesnā€™t sound like any trendy names. Iā€™m not trying to be rude but Iā€™m honestly curious because I just donā€™t get how itā€™s trendy at all.

[name]Lemon[/name], I love all those names you listed and I would definitely say ā€œyour name is amazing!ā€ to all of them, but i feel like Iā€™ve been hearing them more and more and I really like that my [name]Dash[/name] is the only one anyone has ever met. I also like that because of that nobody has any negative associations with it or anything like that. And see I [name]LOVE[/name] ā€œold ladyā€ names, ones that on here we hardly even consider old lady anymore like [name]Margo[/name] and [name]Beatrix[/name]ā€¦ But in real life people seem to hate them and I really just donā€™t like that. The one on your list that fits the bill for me is [name]Cordelia[/name], but I hate the [name]Cordy[/name] nn and Iā€™m afraid itā€™s unavoidable.

[name]Iris[/name], you made me laugh about the cheese! I see what you mean! The [name]Camry[/name] hadnā€™t occurred to me, but it doesnā€™t bother me anyway.

Vegan! [name]Do[/name] I know your real name? Lol! I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Penelope[/name] [name]Cambria[/name] [name]Belle[/name] so much and I think you probably inspired me to like [name]Cambria[/name]! Whenever I see your combo I just think it looks so beautiful! As for middle names Iā€™m totally stuck! [name]Cambria[/name] [name]Cecily[/name] [name]Flora[/name] is pretty much the only thing I can think of but thereā€™s something off about it, I think.

[name]Cambria[/name] makes me think of the Cambrian age, when the earth was covered in water and there was a huge explosion of bizarre life forms. I think itā€™s an awesome connection and it put [name]Cambria[/name] in my top 10 for quite awhileā€¦until I noticed that other people donā€™t seem to make the same connection. That actually diminishes [name]Cambria[/name]'s appeal for me; otherwise itā€™s sort of bleached of meaning and Iā€™m not in love with the nicknames [name]Cam[/name] or [name]Bri[/name].

God, NB keeps timing out on me! Anyway, [name]Lyndsay[/name], I was just going to say that I know what youā€™re talking about with seeing those sorts of vintage names more often, but I also think that we tend to see them more often on Nameberry and maybe the trend isnā€™t quite reflected everywhere else just yet. Yes, I know a family of [name]Hazel[/name], [name]Ada[/name], and [name]Felix[/name], but the last three kids I heard about were [name]Adam[/name], [name]Isla[/name], and [name]Sophia[/name]. I donā€™t see a [name]Gwendolen[/name], [name]Penelope[/name], [name]Adelaide[/name], or [name]Beatrix[/name] on every street corner, ya know? But, I agree with you that [name]Cordelia[/name] is perhaps the most uncommon, and I think sheā€™s a stunning match for [name]Dashiell[/name]. [name]Cordy[/name] as a nickname, though? My first instinct is [name]Delia[/name]ā€¦

[name]Lemon[/name] :slight_smile:

My name is actually [name]Angel[/name] :slight_smile: Iā€™m not sure if I like the flow of [name]Cambria[/name] [name]Cecily[/name] [name]Flora[/name], I like [name]Fleur[/name] though!

So other options I like:

[name]Cambria[/name] [name]Genevieve[/name] [name]Flora[/name]/[name]Fleur[/name]
[name]Cambria[/name] [name]Vivienne[/name] [name]Flora[/name]/[name]Fleur[/name]
[name]Cambria[/name] [name]Jocelyn[/name] [name]Flora[/name]/[name]Fleur[/name]
[name]Cambria[/name] [name]Sylvia[/name] [name]Flora[/name]/[name]Fleur[/name]
[name]Cambria[/name] [name]Emmeline[/name] [name]Flora[/name]/[name]Fleur[/name]

Iā€™d come up with more, but Iā€™d burn dinner!

Here are some reasons why, to me, [name]Cambria[/name] seems trendy:

1. Itā€™s a place. Place names are very trendy-- [name]Savannah[/name], [name]Siena[/name], [name]London[/name], etc.

2. It has common sounds with many popular/trendy/upcoming names: [name]Cameron[/name], [name]Brianna[/name], [name]Brielle[/name], [name]Cami[/name], names with -ia endings.

3. The ones Iā€™ve seen or heard of often have siblings, or are on lists with, trendy/tryndeigh names.

I definitely wouldnā€™t call it trendy yet, but itā€™s actually one that I think will be discovered soon because of the above reasons. It does have qualities that I can see the appeal of.

Hm, I actually thought the opposite-- that [name]Dashiell[/name] is much more of an established name than [name]Cambria[/name], maybe because surname names are more commonly used and accepted (and have been used for longer) than place names. I think other names youā€™ve considered ([name]Elizabeth[/name], [name]Susanna[/name], [name]Rosalie[/name]) better complement [name]Dashiell[/name] and are moreā€¦ I donā€™t know, memorable, sophisticated, classic? :slight_smile: Of course, this is all just my impression. It seems Iā€™m in the minority! :slight_smile:

[name]Lyndsay[/name], you should start a topic about ā€œwhat an amazing nameā€ names, if you do, I will def. post on it!
Anyway, I personally [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Cambria[/name]! I think it goes well with [name]Dashiell[/name], but I most def. would not name a sibling an old lady name (unless it was [name]Leonora[/name] or something) with [name]Cambria[/name].

Here are some other star/wow quality names that goes well w/ [name]Dash[/name] & [name]Cambria[/name]:

[name]Eleni[/name]
[name]Zelina[/name]
[name]Aminta[/name]
[name]Amata[/name]
[name]Calista[/name]
[name]Leonora[/name]
[name]Estella[/name]
[name]Eloisa[/name]
[name]Zola[/name]
[name]Elettra[/name]
[name]Nicola[/name]
[name]Avia[/name]
[name]Adelina[/name]
[name]Floria[/name]
[name]Marguerite[/name]
[name]Beatriz[/name]

:smiley:
Iz

Gotta say, I agree with all of Irisroseā€™s points. [name]Cambria[/name] just seems lightweight to me. I can picture it as the name of a brand-new subdivision of mcmansions. [name]Cambria[/name] Heights.
Sorry to be harsh. [name]Lyndsay[/name]! [name]Just[/name] love so many of your other name SO much more!

Wow, thanks to everyone for your thoughts! I do see where youā€™re coming from about the trendiness, but Iā€™m not all that afraid about picking a name that fits in with trends. To me that is very different from a name like [name]Nevaeh[/name] or [name]Miley[/name] which seem to be the epitome of trendiness. I love the names [name]Olivia[/name] and [name]Sophia[/name], they are trendy (I know i know, they are classic. But they are so heavily used right now that I think its unrealistic to say they arenā€™t trendy). And so [name]Cambria[/name] might be trendy in a sense, but itā€™s so uncommon that it just honestly doesnā€™t worry me.

That said, I donā€™t know that itā€™s actually my style, anyway. If I did use it I really canā€™t think of any girls names that I love that would make a suitable sister. Itā€™s very different from all my other names. I always try to think about if a name would fit me, and I donā€™t really think [name]Cambria[/name] wouldā€¦ But! I still think itā€™s beautiful and itā€™s staying on the list! Another issue is that it sounds like it would fit my BILs sibset: [name]Kaelyn[/name], [name]Cole[/name] and [name]Cambria[/name]ā€¦ I try to avoid C, K and Q names altogether just so I donā€™t move in on their turf, but there are so many that I love.

Oh for the record, [name]Chris[/name] thinks [name]Elizabeth[/name] is too plain and not a ā€œ[name]Chris[/name] and [name]Lyndsay[/name] nameā€. So, thatā€™s why Iā€™m still looking for names. I think itā€™s possible that heā€™s right, but Iā€™m not convinced, lol.

Anyway, thanks so much for the help everyone! Oh, and I laughed out loud at [name]Cambria[/name] Heights!