Camellia

What do you think of this name?

My husband’s favourite name is [name]Amelia[/name] and has been for the six years I’ve been married to him. It’s the only name he will say he likes, he screws his nose up at ALL my suggestions.
My only problem with [name]Amelia[/name] is it’s immense popularity here in the UK. It’s really put me off it, especially as I’ve been such a name nerd all my life, it seems so disappointing to finally have a child and give her the same name everyone else is choosing.
He knows how I feel and is happy for me to pick something else but I feel bad not using the one name he loves :frowning:
So I’ve mentioned in the past some alternatives and then suddenly today he says that he actually quite likes [name]Camellia[/name]!! This is a big deal for him!

So here are my questions for you berries…

What do you think of the name [name]Camellia[/name]?
What category of names would you put it in?
What does it bring to your mind?
Which spelling do you prefer, [name]Camellia[/name]/[name]Camelia[/name]?
Does anyone know how to find out how many babies were given this name in the UK last year?
[name]Do[/name] you have any middle name suggestions?
[name]Do[/name] you have any nickname suggestions?
What would you name her siblings?
[name]How[/name] does it compare to my current favourite, [name]Clara[/name] [name]Beatrice[/name]?
Does it match up to [name]Amelia[/name]? Is it better/worse?

PS I’m not currently pregnant but we’re planning to have our first baby next year, all being well. This is the only site where I can talk about names before TTC and not have people think I’m strange hehe :wink:

I don’t really love [name]Camellia[/name] - just makes me think of the flower (which isn’t bad, I guess:-). [name]Just[/name] nms.

I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Clara[/name] [name]Beatrice[/name]… I love [name]Clara[/name] with just about anything… It is really my fav name right now. My next daughter will be [name]Clara[/name] [name]Anneliese[/name] - my absolute favorite name!!

I do like [name]Camille[/name] better than [name]Camellia[/name] if that helps… [name]Clara[/name] and [name]Camille[/name] would be a cute sib-set, I think…

If you both like [name]Amelia[/name], I would use it despite its popularity. [name]Ava[/name] is really popular here in the U.S.(which is disappointing because I’ve liked it for YEARS) and I was going to use it because it was my grandmother’s name, but it end up that my husband doesn’t like it. If he had liked it, I would have used it even though it’s immensely popular. Good luck!

I think [name]Camellia[/name] is very pretty. I like [name]Camilla[/name] more, personally, but both are nice. I think it has some very sweet nicknames, too ([name]Cam[/name]/[name]Cami[/name], [name]Callie[/name], [name]Millie[/name], [name]Lia[/name], etc.).

As [name]Clara[/name] is a personal favorite for me, as well, [name]Clara[/name] [name]Beatrice[/name] would get my vote, but if you both love [name]Camelia[/name]/[name]Camellia[/name], I would opt for that. I think [name]Camelia[/name] looks cleaner cut, but I think [name]Camellia[/name] is more distinctive from [name]Amelia[/name], since it has the additional “L”. I think I’m leaning toward [name]Camellia[/name]. I don’t think I’ve ever really seen the [name]Camelia[/name] spelling before.

Good luck!

I love [name]Camellia[/name], I think it is sophisticated and one of the most gorgeous flowers. I would put it in the “flower” or “classy” category. [name]Clara[/name], in my opinion, doesn’t compare. You can call her [name]Cam[/name], [name]Cammie[/name], [name]Mellie[/name], [name]Lia[/name] or [name]Ellie[/name]. The spelling [name]Camelia[/name] seems like it should be pronounced the same way as [name]Amelia[/name], as in cah-meel-ya, and I don’t like it. [name]Amelia[/name] is very pretty but it bothers me the way most people pronounce the e and the i the same, as in ah-meel-ee-ah. I don’t know if they do that in the UK. Also, [name]Camellia[/name] [name]Beatrice[/name] doesn’t sound bad.

This should tell you where [name]Camellia[/name] ranks: Top names, England and Wales 2010

What do you think of the name [name]Camellia[/name]? I am not the biggest fan of it, but it is by no means awful. I would prefer [name]Amelia[/name] or [name]Camille[/name] but it is a very sweet compromise. :slight_smile:

What category of names would you put it in? seems like any other flower name to me

What does it bring to your mind? I think most of [name]Prince[/name] [name]Charles[/name] wife [name]Camilla[/name] even though the names are different for some reason

Which spelling do you prefer, [name]Camellia[/name]/[name]Camelia[/name]? [name]Camelia[/name], with the double LL I think it would get mistaken more for [name]Camilla[/name]

[name]Do[/name] you have any middle name suggestions? [name]Anne[/name], [name]Emmeline[/name]/[name]Emily[/name], [name]Elaine[/name]

[name]Do[/name] you have any nickname suggestions? [name]Cammie[/name], [name]Lia[/name], maybe [name]Mia[/name] but that might be a stretch

[name]How[/name] does it compare to my current favourite, [name]Clara[/name] [name]Beatrice[/name]? I simply adore [name]Clara[/name] it is my favorite girls name of all time, but I really don’t like [name]Beatrice[/name] (it belonged to almost all of my least favorite college professors)

Does it match up to [name]Amelia[/name]? Is it better/worse? I love [name]Amelia[/name] so too me it is worse, but again the name itself is not bad.

Good [name]Luck[/name] :slight_smile:

Thanks for all the replies berries!

I’m not totally in love with this name yet but it’s definitely on the list now. My husband was so pleased when I googled Camellias and he saw that it was a stunning pink flower, I’d love to be able to tell my daughter that her daddy picked her name.

I’ve always been a big fan of [name]Camilla[/name] but now I just think of [name]Prince[/name] [name]Charles[/name]’ wife which kind of ruins it. Husband doesn’t like [name]Camilla[/name] though.

I’m loving nicknames [name]Millie[/name], [name]Callie[/name], [name]Lia[/name], [name]Mia[/name]. I don’t like [name]Cam[/name] which could be a problem.

Husband much prefers the spelling [name]Camelia[/name] but I’m hesitant as it’s not the way the flower name is spelled so it looks like a spelling mistake. I think both names are meant to be pronounced ka-MEE-li-a (british accent). Husband is worried that people will pronounce [name]Camellia[/name] ka-[name]MELL[/name]-i-a and we don’t like that but I’m pretty sure the flower name isn’t meant to be pronounced this way.

Dillonsfan I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Camellia[/name] [name]Emmeline[/name], I can’t think of a better mn than this.

I’m imagining sibsets like
[name]Camellia[/name] & [name]Bryony[/name]
[name]Camellia[/name] [name]Emmeline[/name] & [name]Juniper[/name] [name]Beatrix[/name]
[name]Camellia[/name] [name]May[/name] & [name]Edmund[/name] [name]Michael[/name]
[name]Camellia[/name] & [name]Rowan[/name]

ChristinaMariane I’m glad you said classy, that was the idea I was hoping for. Thanks so much for the link, I haven’t seen that site before, gonna be hooked now! I found [name]Camellia[/name] and apparently there were 8 babies names [name]Camelia[/name] in [name]England[/name] & [name]Wales[/name] last yesr and 5 named [name]Camellia[/name] and 4 names [name]Kamelia[/name], so 17 in total. It ranks at 1270 along with names like [name]Sabine[/name], [name]Eloisa[/name], [name]Lavinia[/name] and Shola.I love that it’s so rare.

Thanks for your input, more opinions are welcome.
My list now looks something like:
Girls
[name]Clara[/name] [name]Beatrice[/name]
[name]Camellia[/name] [name]Emmeline[/name]
[name]Eliza[/name] [name]Faith[/name]
[name]Amelia[/name] [name]May[/name]
[name]Harriet[/name]
[name]Felicity[/name]

Boys
[name]Theodore[/name] [name]Michael[/name] [name]Edmund[/name]

[name]Felicity[/name] and [name]Emmeline[/name] are also stunning! You have a gorgeous list to choose from, I don’t know how you’ll pick just one!

[name]Camelia[/name] is beautiful, and I prefer that spelling since I think with the LL, it could be mistaken for [name]Camilla[/name]. [name]Camelia[/name] is definitely classy and I think it would be sweet to name your daughter a name your husband love so much. [name]Camelia[/name] [name]Emmaline[/name] is a perfect match, I too cannot think of a better mn for [name]Camelia[/name] than that.

[name]Camellia[/name] is very pretty. I think I prefer the spelling [name]Camelia[/name], it’s what I guess. I do prefer [name]Clara[/name], and if you want to use that, you may want to put this aside so each girl gets her own initial. Also, [name]Camellia[/name] makes me kind of think of chameleon, which is not a problem, it just is an association I bet others will hear over the course of her life.

If the goal is to get a name close to [name]Amelia[/name]…does he like [name]Adelia[/name]/[name]Adalia[/name]?

Good luck!

I have a friend called [name]Camelia[/name](I guess [name]Camellia[/name] is just a variation of [name]Camelia[/name]) she’s a very pretty girl and that’s why I like the name. [name]IMO[/name] [name]Camellia[/name] isn’t a common name neither in UK nor in the rest of the world but it defenitely will gain more popularity in few years. Plant names like [name]Poppy[/name], Ivy, [name]Rosie[/name], and [name]Katniss[/name] are becoming popular. I like [name]Camelia[/name] and [name]Camellia[/name], it sounds very cute and [name]IMO[/name] can fit a 3 year old and a 50 year old.
My ideas about second names which would fit [name]Camellia[/name] and I like [name]Camellia[/name] [name]Emmeline[/name] a lot:

[name]Camellia[/name] [name]Claire[/name]
[name]Camellia[/name] [name]Bay[/name]
[name]Camellia[/name] [name]Elle[/name]
[name]Camellia[/name] [name]Eveline[/name]
[name]Camellia[/name] [name]Jane[/name]
[name]Camellia[/name] [name]Jade[/name]
[name]Camellia[/name] [name]Blair[/name]
[name]Camellia[/name] [name]Rue[/name]
[name]Camellia[/name] [name]Ruth[/name]