Cameron too unisex?

My husband likes the name [name]Cameron[/name] for our little boy, I like [name]Conrad[/name]. I would go with [name]Cameron[/name] except I think it’s becoming too unisex and too popular in the girls names. What do you think?

a good majority of [name]Cameron[/name]'s I hear about are boys. I don’t think its too girly at all :slight_smile:

I live in [name]Scotland[/name] where [name]Cameron[/name] is firmly a boys’ name. [name]Haven[/name]'t met a little girl [name]Cameron[/name].

[name]Gracie[/name]

[name]Cameron[/name] is definitely recognized as a boy’s name, I wouldn’t worry about it. That being said, I absolutely love [name]Conrad[/name] and think its certainly a better choice than cameron.

I love [name]Conrad[/name] too! I haven’t been able to make him go for it. I have a couple of months left to work on him.

Thanks for your comments!

I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Conrad[/name]! [name]Love[/name] it! :slight_smile: I know of many little girls with the trendy [name]Camryn[/name] (gag) name, so I’m going to agree with you about [name]Cameron[/name]‘s unisex status, at least in the US. I still think that the [name]Cameron[/name] spelling is mostly a boys’ name, but there are definitely a lot of female Camryns in the world.

Good luck! :slight_smile:

Yah, I thought it was a little too unisex and a little gaggy with the girl version of [name]Camryn[/name]. I love [name]Conrad[/name] because it is strong, slightly unusual, and would sound great with our last name. Thanks for your comment!

You’re welcome! I’m totally with you on [name]Conrad[/name], for exactly the same reasons. Is your husband absolutely set on [name]Cameron[/name]?

I like it for boy! When it’s spelled “[name]Cameron[/name]” I think of a boy. If it’s spelled [name]Kamryn[/name] or [name]Kameron[/name] it reminds me of a girl.

No, my husband isn’t set on [name]Cameron[/name] but it is the only name he has totally agreed with. I talked to my sister today about it and she said that she has heard a lot of Camryns lately. I really don’t want to risk a unisex sounding name because our first son is [name]Spencer[/name] and it’s becoming a little more unisex also. We didn’t know that when we named him though. But maybe I’m a little more sensitive to it than other people. I’m really into names and I’m up with the trends.

I love the name [name]Spencer[/name]… great choice!

I only know of boy Camerons in Australia but I think any name can go to the girls at some point. I know a little girl name [name]Andrew[/name], seriously! and her sister is [name]Evan[/name]! haha

I think it may come down to the nn ‘[name]Cam[/name]’ or ‘[name]Con[/name]’ which are both quite different sounding. I have a [name]Cameron[/name] in my class and he always goes by [name]Cam[/name].

I also like [name]Camden[/name] and [name]Campbell[/name] with the shortened form of ‘[name]Cam[/name]’.

Thanks! I love the name [name]Spencer[/name] too (obviously)! I only know boy Camerons too but as you said, NO boy name is safe!

The nickname factor IS a little hard with both [name]Cameron[/name] and [name]Conrad[/name]. I had a friend (boy) named [name]Cameron[/name] and he went by [name]Cam[/name], but I always felt a little sheepish calling him that because I felt it sounded feminine.

[name]Con[/name] isn’t a great nickname either, for [name]Conrad[/name].

I do want a name that has a great nickname to go with [name]Spence[/name]. Something that just rolls off the tongue when I’m calling them down for dinner.

[name]Camden[/name] and [name]Campbell[/name] are great choices too!

Mamapajama, I totally agree about the [name]Con[/name] nickname being, uh, not a good one for [name]Conrad[/name], which is why I love [name]Conrad[/name] in the middle.

I think [name]Camden[/name] will be going to the girls, and I personally associate [name]Campbell[/name] with [name]Campbell[/name] [name]Brown[/name], the female CNN anchor, followed by the actor [name]Campbell[/name] [name]Scott[/name].

Are you searching for unisex/surnames to work with [name]Spencer[/name], or classic/vintage names?

Here’s a random assortment of names I picture with a [name]Spencer[/name]:

[name]August[/name] (nn [name]Augie[/name] or [name]Gus[/name])
[name]Bennett[/name]
[name]Beckett[/name]
[name]Colin[/name]
[name]Charles[/name]
[name]Calvin[/name]
[name]Callum[/name]
[name]Dashiell[/name] (nn [name]Dash[/name])
[name]Declan[/name]
[name]Donovan[/name]
[name]Everett[/name]
[name]Edward[/name] (nn [name]Teddy[/name], for example)
[name]Elias[/name]
[name]Finnian[/name]
[name]Finnegan[/name]
[name]Finn[/name]
[name]Griffin[/name]
[name]Grant[/name]
[name]Graham[/name]
[name]Harrison[/name]
[name]Hudson[/name]
[name]James[/name]
[name]Lachlan[/name]
[name]Milo[/name]
[name]Miles[/name]
[name]Miller[/name]
[name]Montgomery[/name]
[name]Oliver[/name]
[name]Quinlan[/name]
[name]Quentin[/name]
[name]Reed[/name]
[name]Sullivan[/name]
[name]Wyatt[/name]
[name]Wilson[/name]
[name]Xavier[/name]

Good luck! :slight_smile:

[name]Love[/name] [name]Conrad[/name], and I know a little boy named that. This is embarrassing, but I love the name [name]Camryn[/name] for a girl. Yes, I’m hanging my head in shame. Also love the name [name]Cameron[/name] for a boy or a girl. I know a darling little boy named [name]Cameron[/name].

I’m definitely looking for a classic/vintage name. Thanks for the list! I’ll share it with my husband. I was thinking about the name [name]Campbell[/name] over the weekend and I though of [name]Campbell[/name] [name]Brown[/name] too. And Thanks for letting me know [name]Camden[/name] is going to the girls.

I love [name]Xavier[/name] and [name]Graham[/name] on this list. [name]Wilson[/name] and [name]Charles[/name] are great too.

I think that [name]Camden[/name] has yet to go to the girls; last year it ranked in the 200’s for boys and wasn’t in the top 1,000 for girls. Likewise [name]Cameron[/name] is still quite a bit more popular for boys (although if you figure in spellings like [name]Camryn[/name] the gap narrows but does not cross over). If you’re worried about a name going to the girls, of the ones mentioned [name]Campbell[/name] is probably the one you should watch out for; it ranks on the girl’s side but not the boy’s.

I don’t think we’ll be going for [name]Camden[/name] anyway. But thanks for letting me know the stats on it. [name]Cameron[/name] is a good name, my only hesitation is the girl factor ([name]Camryn[/name]), and the lack of “wow” factor.

What’s funny is that my little boy keeps on saying “[name]Conrad[/name], [name]Conrad[/name]”. It just melts my heart!

[name]Hi[/name] there, Mamapajama. I was only speculating on [name]Camden[/name] going to the girls, because I’ve heard of a few already, and as you know, Camryns are everywhere! I can totally see potential [name]Camryn[/name] parents opting for [name]Camden[/name], you know?

I listed a lot of non-vintage/classic names (I wasn’t sure what you wanted), so here are some more names you may like with [name]Spencer[/name]:

[name]Arthur[/name]
[name]Baxter[/name]
[name]Clifton[/name]
[name]Dexter[/name]
[name]Davis[/name] (not vintage, but similar to [name]Graham[/name])
[name]Franklin[/name]
[name]Felix[/name]
[name]Gideon[/name]
[name]George[/name]
[name]Henry[/name]
[name]Leo[/name]
[name]Lincoln[/name]
[name]Peter[/name]
[name]Phineas[/name]
[name]Roman[/name]
[name]Simon[/name]
[name]Samson[/name]
[name]Solomon[/name]
[name]Theodore[/name]
[name]Truman[/name]

What about using [name]Conrad[/name] in the middle? I think [name]Charles[/name] [name]Conrad[/name] and [name]Xavier[/name] [name]Conrad[/name] sound great! :slight_smile:

We are thinking of using a family name - [name]Knight[/name], as the middle name. There are some good names in that list too. I think [name]Conrad[/name] [name]Knight[/name] sounds really strong, but the only problem is, it would probably make our other kids feel jealous that his name is so cool!

[name]Charles[/name] (nn [name]Charlie[/name]) and [name]Xavier[/name] are in the running though on our name list.

Try [name]Camden[/name] for a boy. Nevermind. I guess I should read previous posts before I add my two cents.

[name]Cameron[/name] does seem girlish to me, though.