Camilla - too posh?

Really like this gentle name. I don’t like similar alternatives like [name_f]Camellia[/name_f] and [name_f]Camille[/name_f] (not keen on that mealy sound), so my question is - Is [name_f]Camilla[/name_f] too posh? There’s the obvious royal association.

It does have a posh sort of vibe to me, I think because of the royal association. When I think about the name, it feels like a sort of intense presence, if that makes sense :person_shrugging:

Still, when I listen to the sounds, it is quite gentle, and maybe I’d feel different if I met one?

1 Like

Camilla doesn’t have a posh vibe to me! It feels warm and summery, maybe because of its popularity in countries like Italy. I’m not from the UK but I don’t think of that Camilla when I hear the name. Plus, the cute nicknames definitely make it feel more down to earth!

It does have an upper crust feel but I know two Camilla’s and the name melds to their personalities. One is very well-off, dry-humoured and intense (I subconsciously think it’s commanding on her, more than necessarily Royal-like); the other [name_f]Camilla[/name_f] is sunny, sweet and immediately likeable (so her name feels more carefree, floral and pretty).

I really like it - it gives you [name_f]Cammy[/name_f], [name_f]Milla[/name_f] or [name_f]Milly[/name_f] as nn options too. These will also make the name more or less formal sounding.

1 Like

Oh I’d never actually thought of [name_f]Milly[/name_f] which I’m not a fan of but is an intuitive nickname… but yea I appreciate what you’re saying about versatility… good to know :blush:

1 Like

[name_f]My[/name_f] immediate reaction is the name of the [name_f]Queen[/name_f] Consort, it does have a very posh vibe. I suppose it also depends on where you live and how well-known [name_f]Camilla[/name_f] is… in the UK I feel like it’s a no no unless you want your child to be associated with her??

1 Like

not really, if anything I feels ready not-posh, maybe I’m bias, it was my great-grandma’s name and she lived on a cattle ranch

1 Like

Yeah, I get what you’re saying.

I think it just depends on your closest associations in the cultural context you’re in. Here (UK), the strongest and most immediately obvious association is with the royals.

1 Like

yeah, but also, my great-grandma went by [name_f]Cami[/name_f], so I think that makes it less posh.

2 Likes

Yeah, I’m liking the sound of your cattle ranching great grandma!

1 Like

Not at all. It’s a super common classic name where I am, and is consistently popular (Latino, living in a large Hispanic community). I will say that [name_f]Camilla[/name_f] pronounce cuh-MILL-uh, does sound kinda posh, mostly cause the only time in my life I’ve heard that pronunciation was on [name_f]Queen[/name_f] Consort (it’s always exclusively pronounced cah-MEEL-ah here)

1 Like

It’s looking like the posh factor is very geographically and culturally determined. Good to know it’s a more down to earth option in some parts of the world, it seems like the posh thing might be quite niche to the UK… however that’s relevant to me. It would be the -milla pronunciation here.