Camina Conundrum

We are expecting a baby girl in [name_u]January[/name_u]. We are considering the name Camina for our daughter. It is a name of a character from the book/tv series “The Expanse.” I really like this name and the character is pretty much a badass and I love her. :grinning:

I understand this is a word in Spanish meaning “to walk” or “go.” I am wondering if anyone knows if there are any other meanings or origins…

Any general thoughts or comments on this name are appreciated.

Thank you!

I think even though it does mean walk in Spanish, it sounds name-y not like a word, so that wouldn’t be my first thought. Also I love the cute nicknames that could go with it! I would go with [name_f]Cammie[/name_f], but [name_f]Mina[/name_f] is a close second.

I like it, though I prefer [name_u]Camille[/name_u] or [name_f]Camilla[/name_f].

Thank you for responding! We like the nicknames for this too. Our last name starts with a C so there is also the CC nickname.

I like those… They are actual legitimate names that you can find a meaning for so that is a plus for these! LOL!

Thank you for responding.

I’d suggest [name_f]Carmina[/name_f], [name_f]Amina[/name_f], or [name_f]Carina[/name_f] over camina which is definitely a verb in my mind.

I probably wouldn’t use Camina because I live in a place with many Spanish speakers and it’s not name-y enough for me.

What about [name_f]Carmina[/name_f]?

Camina sounds very namey and sweet. I like it

I like it, and I love that she will have such a strong and awesome namesake!

Theres lots of word names out there, like [name_u]Poet[/name_u], [name_u]Axel[/name_u], etc. I dont find it weird whatsoever, although I can imagine if your daughter ever was to travel to a Spanish speaking country there may be just a little confusion, but then again, it may not even be something anyone pays any particular attention to!
Congratulations on your little one :two_hearts:

I definitely think of the verb when I hear it and I barely speak Spanish. How are you pronouncing it? Cah-MEE-nuh sounds more like a name than cah-mi-NAA imo.

I am a fairly proficient Spanish speaker and definitely did think of the meaning in Spanish immediately but I don’t think that makes the name unusable. It has sounds that very much feel like they belong in a name, and since many names in Spanish do come from words or are words as well, I honestly wouldn’t even be surprised to meet a Spanish speaker with this name.

If you love it, I say go for it!

Thank you for responding. This is what I was thinking/worried about too. I will toss those ideas out to DH to see what he says!

Thanks for the reply. I do really like it, just need to sort my feelings out regarding the “legitimacy” of the name if that makes sense. We have other names we are considering too it is just one that keeps popping up in discussions.

I hadn’t considered this one - I actually really like to meaning. I will run it by DH! Thank you for the suggestion.

1 Like

The first way, with the MEE as the most prodominant syllable sound. Thank you for the feedback!

Unless you live in a Hispanic community I would think it’s usable. As a Spanish speaker myself I would steer clear as it’s not even a nice word in general and it’s usually said as an order like “Go” as in move it!!! My nickname actually means a very common word in Spanish and whenever I hear it I feel people are saying my name and they’re not so that could also happen with Camina