Can Adeline be ADD-uh-LEEN?

I can’t say ad-uh-line in my accent, plus I don’t think it sounds very good. I’ve thought about Adelene but it’s just too many Es for me. Mn would be [name_f]Elisabeth[/name_f] & nn [name_f]Adelie[/name_f].

1 Like

If you want that sound I would go for [name_f]Adelina[/name_f]! That’s the Spanish translation of it and it be easier to say without the complicated spelling at first glance

5 Likes

Oh boy! The A was a typo, sorry! I meant to say AD-uh-LEEN.

1 Like

it’s not intuitive for me but it works!!

1 Like

And [name_f]Adelina[/name_f] is pretty but that & [name_f]Elisabeth[/name_f] are also four syllables. :slight_smile:

I would switch [name_u]Ade[/name_u] to [name_f]Ada[/name_f], so instead of people saying “A-duh-line” they say “A-DA-line/leen” I feel no matter what their might be struggle with pronunciation, but from what I seen on this site line can often also mean leen and I think that works!

Adaline would be darling I feel and would make it less complicated

1 Like

I’m not a fan of that spelling, but thank you!

I pronounce it that way, I believe that’s the [name_u]French[/name_u] pronunciation.

4 Likes

I think it absolutely can be pronounced that way, I’d just be prepared that it will get mispronounced when read aloud by anyone who doesn’t know/isn’t close to her (unless you’re somewhere where that’d be the pronunciation used).

2 Likes

It can be pronounced that way. however (depending on where you live) you’d probably have to correct everybody simply because they [name_m]Add[/name_m]-uh-line pronunciation is the more common one.

Is [name_f]Madeleine[/name_f] pronounced that way? Adeleine maybe. Otherwise just go for it and people will learn. I like it spelled [name_f]Adeline[/name_f] and pronounced -lynn at the end and I think all the variations could work.

Tbh I used to assume that was the pronuciation until I met someone with a daughter who used the -line pronunciation.

-leen sound for -line spelling always made more sense to me. [name_f]Caroline[/name_f] and [name_f]Madeline[/name_f] being the exceptions and that’s only because they’re common names so my introduction to them was the -line pronunciation.
I think because of my fondness and familiarty with [name_u]French[/name_u] names the -ine= -een seems most intuitive.

I would only go for this if you’re cool with needing to correcting people. I doubt it’ll take more than once, but now that [name_f]Adeline[/name_f] is more familiar and people have probably met someone woth the line pronunciation, it will likely come up pretty often.

It’s not intuitive imo (especially because both [name_f]Adeline[/name_f] and [name_f]Adelyn[/name_f] are rather common). I would expect correction for pretty much everyone they meet but it’s an easy one. I don’t see the point of [name_f]Adelie[/name_f] as a nickname though. It’s the same number of syllables, just one sound off. Like me going by Abigae instead of [name_f]Abigael[/name_f]. I think [name_f]Adelie[/name_f] is easier on its own.

I don’t think it’s intuitive but you could always spell it as Adeleen or Adaleen or [name_f]Adalene[/name_f] or Adelene. [name_f]Adalene[/name_f] actually looks really pretty! And [name_f]Adelina[/name_f] is a good alternative!

I think [name_f]Adeline[/name_f] could be pronoucned -leen. [name_f]Emmeline[/name_f] is after all

Yes, it works!

It could be, yeah. In [name_u]North[/name_u] [name_u]America[/name_u] though, it might require correcting because [name_m]Add[/name_m]-uh-line seems to be the default here.

This is more ‘Mad-uh-LEN’ :heart:

I think the -ine names (adeline, caroline, etc) really just struggle with pronunciation no matter what you do. They just dont translate well from region to region. The EEN vs INE pronunciation will always be there, unless you go with a whacky spelling, like Adileen or Adyleen or Adelene or Adilene (spelled like now-very-dated Maureen and Eilene), but messing with the spelling has its own drawbacks.

Some similar names:
Addison
Adele
Adelaide
Etc

That is how I pronounce it! So my answer would be yes.