Can Elspeth and Isobel be sisters?

I am just wondering can [name]Isobel[/name] “[name]Bella[/name]” and [name]Elspeth[/name] “[name]Ellie[/name]” be siblings even though they are both forms of [name]Elizabeth[/name]. They both have so much meaning to me HELP.

Yes. They both have different root origins, and [name]Bella[/name] is most often associated with [name]Isobel[/name], while [name]Ellie[/name] is usually associated with [name]Eleanor[/name], [name]Elizabeth[/name], [name]Elaina[/name], etc. They sound very different.

I also love that spelling of [name]Isabelle[/name]. So pretty!

Outside of [name]Scotland[/name] or [name]Britain[/name], probably. What about [name]Ishbel[/name]? That’s Scottish too. I love [name]Elspeth[/name] and I prefer the [name]Isobel[/name] spelling.

[name]Isobel[/name] is my grandma’s name

While I appreciate the huge importance of [name]Isobel[/name] and [name]Elspeth[/name] to you, for me, it’s a no. [name]Bella[/name] and [name]Ellie[/name] are way too close for sisters, imo, and [name]Isobel[/name] and [name]Elspeth[/name] are both forms of [name]Elizabeth[/name]. To me, it feels like it would essentially be giving them the same name.

My mom is [name]Karen[/name], my great-grandma is [name]Katherine[/name], and my great-aunt is ____ [name]Cathleen[/name], nn [name]Cathie[/name], but all of their names are forms of [name]Catherine[/name] in some way… even though none of them are just [name]Kate[/name], I have [name]Kate[/name] as a MN to honor them all on my list…

I think you could do something similar for [name]Isobel[/name] and [name]Elspeth[/name], or even use [name]Elspeth[/name] as a MN and [name]Isobel[/name] as a FN for a different combo…

Then again, I’m quite OCD about things like this, and after I use [name]Isabelle[/name] (provided that I do!), [name]Elise[/name], [name]Eliska[/name], [name]Lillian[/name], [name]Elizabeth[/name], [name]Lisette[/name], [name]Eliza[/name], etc., will probably be off my list for good. Maybe not [name]Lillian[/name], but definitely yes to the others. People have told me I could use [name]Caroline[/name] and [name]Charlotte[/name] together, too, but they’re just too close for me, since I know they both come from the same root name. You’ll have to decide what you think for yourself, but especially [name]Bella[/name] and [name]Ellie[/name] are too close in sound for me, sorry. Is there another nn you could use for one of them? Like [name]Izzy[/name] and [name]Ellie[/name] or [name]Bella[/name] and [name]Elsa[/name]?

I don’t consider [name]Elsa[/name] as a nickname for [name]Elspeth[/name] as my mum never gets called in she does get [name]Elsie[/name] though

[name]Izzy[/name] also seems masculine to me as I call my brother [name]Isaac[/name] that and the only [name]Issy[/name] I know is a boy nickname for [name]Isaiah[/name]

Well, what other nns do you like?

Just because your mom never goes by Elsa doesn’t make it any less valid of a nn, imo. Not trying to be harsh or mean-spirited… it’s just the truth. It sounds like you’re a huge fan of using family names in the FN spot, which I have no problem with, but I would caution you to not try and use the same nicknames that your mom has. When you have kids of your own, they’ll be their own people with their own personalities, and they’ll need to be able to stand on their own two feet–not just themselves, but their names, too.

If you did name your daughter Elspeth and called her Elsie, can you imagine what it would be like if your father called out “Elsie!”? Would he be talking about his wife or his granddaughter? It may be that your father doesn’t call your mom Elsie, but still, hopefully you get my point. If you keep both Isobel and Elspeth, which I think you still definitely can do (you’re only 13, right? Your style will absolutely change by the time you have children and it may be by then that you only want to use Isobel and Elspeth as MNs, too. The nice thing about being a young name nerd is that you don’t have to worry about making some of those decisions for years!), I think it’s important that the nns you choose aren’t too close to your mom’s and grandmother’s names/nicknames so that they won’t get confused with the original Isobel and Elspeth, and that they aren’t too close to each other, or any other family member (like your brother Isaac). It’s great to honor family and I commend you on that, but I can tell you from personal experience that it stinks being called another family member’s name or getting the names confused.

They are completely different sounding names. There’s no reasons they can’t be sisters. Most people will not know that they are both forms of [name]Elizabeth[/name] as well as it just doesn’t matter that they are both forms of [name]Elizabeth[/name]. They are entirely different names.

Personally, if I were to run across sisters named [name]Isobel[/name] and [name]Elspeth[/name] I would be bothered by the fact that they’re different forms of the same name, but I suppose that’s just a hazard of being a name nerd. I doubt that most people would be bothered by it or even pick up on it. [name]Bella[/name] and [name]Ellie[/name] are also rather rhymey for sisters. It’s lovely that the names all of meaning for you, though.

My mum almost always is [name]Elspeth[/name] so it want really matter with nicknames

I think that [name]Elspeth[/name] and [name]Isobel[/name] as sisters are fine. Throw in another sister [name]Lizette[/name] for a whole theme of [name]Elizabeth[/name] derivates and I still think its fine! It seems just as legit as a theme like “all nature names” (and in some cases you have to be pretty well educated to realize all the names are birds or whatever) and nobody croaks over that. If you like these names, keep them on your list – especially since they honor special women in your life. My only bit of advice would be to remember that one day you’ll have to give equal treatment to your husband’s family, and they might not be so well-named. [name]Just[/name] don’t rule out the possibility of putting some of your favorite family names in the middle. Congrats on having such good taste at your age and for researching the name etymology sufficiently to consider whether this is a problem.

I have been into names forever!!!

I like the names together!

This was my reaction, as well. The repetitive “ell” sound is too rhymey, and one sounds like a continuation of the other. They are too close to sound like distinct people.