Can Gus be a nickname for William?

So this is for a novel that I am writing, not a pregnancy.

I know there are a lot of nicknames for [name_m]William[/name_m] already, but I really love the name [name_u]Gus[/name_u]. Would just like to know if it would be an odd nickname for [name_m]William[/name_m]. Obviously you can nickname your child anything you wish, but I don’t really want it to be so far out there, but I also don’t wanna just use ‘[name_u]Gus[/name_u]’ as a name; and I really don’t like the idea of [name_u]August[/name_u] or [name_m]Augustus[/name_m] with [name_u]Gus[/name_u] as a nickname.

It seems like a far stretch to me…do you like [name_m]Gustavo[/name_m] or [name_m]Gustaf[/name_m]? If not, what if you gave him the name [name_m]William[/name_m] [name_m]Gustavo[/name_m] or [name_m]William[/name_m] [name_m]Augustus[/name_m], which both sound nice. Then you could use [name_u]Gus[/name_u] as a nickname no problem.

I can’t really see the connection between [name_m]William[/name_m] and [name_u]Gus[/name_u] either, sorry. It’s a bit out there as a name, but what about [name_m]Gulliver[/name_m] as a full name for [name_u]Gus[/name_u]? [name_m]William[/name_m] [name_m]Gulliver[/name_m]/[name_m]Gulliver[/name_m] [name_m]William[/name_m] would work, and you could get to the nn [name_u]Gus[/name_u] with that too.

TOO much of a stretch, sorry.

There’s no way you could get from [name_m]William[/name_m] to [name_u]Gus[/name_u], I’m afraid

It’s going to be a no from me.

It’s a rather ridiculous concept imo - theyre not even remotely connected in anyway.

Whether you’re naming a child or a novel character - it’s incredibly outlandish to use [name_u]Gus[/name_u] as a nickname for [name_m]William[/name_m], when as you said, [name_m]William[/name_m] has plenty of nicknames of its own.

[name_m]Just[/name_m] use [name_u]Gus[/name_u] if you love it that much. It makes more sense that way.

I can see where you might be thinking there’s a connection, especially [name_m]William[/name_m] --> [name_m]Guillaume[/name_m] --> Gu_, so I think [name_m]Guy[/name_m] could work, but I’m not sold on [name_u]Gus[/name_u] either even though I’m royalty in the House of Stretch Nicknames.

I really don’t think so, sorry.

You could just name the character [name_u]Gus[/name_u], or perhaps [name_m]Gustav[/name_m]? [name_m]Guillermo[/name_m] is a Spanish variant of [name_m]William[/name_m], though it’s said ghee-YARE-mo, visually it links to [name_u]Gus[/name_u]. If it fits with the character his name could be [name_m]Guillermo[/name_m] nn [name_u]Gus[/name_u], but he doesn’t like his full name in Spanish so when asked says his name is [name_m]William[/name_m]? It is a bit of a stretch but it’s the only way I can really link them.

It’s definitely a stretch! I’m sorry :confused:

Perhaps you could still use [name_u]Gus[/name_u], but give a backstory behind it? In real life, I know a man who calls his grandson [name_u]Gus[/name_u] because that’s what he felt his son and daughter-in-law should’ve named the baby. The boy is really named [name_m]Caden[/name_m]. Not exactly the cutest story. Maybe it wouldn’t be so bad if you at least gave a reason for it :slight_smile:

Thanks for the replies everyone. Now I just really gotta think about this.

I may use one of the suggested names instead of [name_m]William[/name_m] now.

[name_m]Angus[/name_m] is also an option.