Can I get an honest read on Lazer?

We are expecting a boy in a few weeks and for various reasons need/want a pretty Jewishy name, two syllable. We’d been thinking about [name]Noah[/name] most of the year but recently soured on it - too common, too sensitive. A lot of other two syllable Biblical boy names are taken already by relatives. We came across [name]Lazer[/name] - is that crazy? [name]Way[/name] too far out and weird? We’re feeling bold but maybe not this bold. Help!

I think I would be more apt to spell it [name]Lazar[/name], as it is the Russian diminutive of [name]Eleazar[/name]. I actually know someone with this name and he has always appreciated it. Personally, I love both [name]Eleazar[/name]/[name]Eliezer[/name] and [name]Lazar[/name] so I would say go with it.

I’m not a huge [name]Lazer[/name]/[name]Lazar[/name] fan–I tend to agree with Nameberry’s commentary on [name]Lazer[/name]–use a fuller name like Eliezar with [name]Lazer[/name] as a nn.

My chem teacher in high school had the last name [name]Lazar[/name] (lah-ZAR–not sure how you’re saying it), so it doesn’t seem a lot like a name to me, but it is interesting. Something like [name]Noah[/name] [name]Lazer[/name] might be interesting, too.

Edited for privacy.

Not sure how I feel about [name]Lazer[/name]. [name]Kinda[/name] makes me think laser tag, laser gun, etc. but I may just be prn it wrong… Is it said like layzer or lazzer or some other way? I do really love [name]Lazarus[/name].

I just watched the movie The Kids are All Right and the son was named Laser (yes, with an S). I actually really like it! I would also recommend [name]Ezra[/name], it’s got the edgy sound due to the Z but not as far out there as [name]Lazer[/name].

I don’t think Lazer is usable Unless you live in a neighborhood where it is recognized as a name. It won’t be a good name for him if you live somewhere where people will see Lazer beam.

Trysearching The Best Names For Jewish Children on Amazon. Its a great collection of names.

My favorites from that group:

Shimon
Isaac
Asher
Ari
Dov

I immediately thought of [name]Lazar[/name] [name]Wolf[/name] from Fiddler on the Roof, so I see it as a name (although only if it is spelled [name]Lazar[/name]- [name]Lazer[/name] looks like a misspelled laser). I do think that [name]Lazarus[/name] nn [name]Lazar[/name] would be a much better option, or even [name]Lazar[/name] as a middle name. Good luck!

The theatre major here also immediately thought of [name]Lazar[/name] [name]Wolf[/name] (Fiddler on the Roof). Then the writer-part took a second thought and realized how terrific a name it is.

I think it is a nice name, especially if you spell it [name]Lazar[/name]. But I tend to agree that it would be better as a nickname for Eliezar or [name]Lazarus[/name].

Have you considered [name]Amos[/name] or [name]Abner[/name]?

Folks, no Jewish person in the world is going to name their kid [name]Lazarus[/name]. Good grief.
I still like [name]Lazar[/name].
I also like Lior, [name]Akiva[/name], [name]Dov[/name], [name]Avner[/name], [name]Avram[/name], Adiel, and Amitai.

Honestly, I don’t think of that as a name for a child, a dog maybe, but I could never call my child [name]Lazer[/name]. It could work as a nickname as some people have already said, but I still don’t prefer it.

I know you said most of the common Jewish-y names are already taken by people in your family, but I’m sure there is one out there for you! What about [name]Ephraim[/name] (or [name]Efraim[/name] or any of the other spelling variations), [name]Amos[/name], [name]Cohen[/name], [name]Abram[/name], [name]Ethan[/name], [name]Gabriel[/name], [name]Isaac[/name], [name]Isreal[/name], or [name]Jacob[/name].

Then again, he is YOUR son, not anyone else’s, so if you really really love [name]Lazer[/name] and can’t imagine using something else, don’t let anyone elses opinions stop you. The people in your life will get used to it after a while.

if its [name]Lazar[/name]? yes
[name]Lazer[/name]? no. sorry
[name]Ezra[/name] is cute
also assorted hebrew/bible names:
[name]Eli[/name], [name]Elias[/name]
[name]Adam[/name]
[name]Lazarus[/name]
[name]Shiloh[/name]
[name]Zion[/name]- really cute Prn. like ryan w/ a z or Z-Own
[name]Joel[/name]
Jev
[name]Jonah[/name]
[name]Jude[/name]
[name]Isaac[/name]
[name]Isaiah[/name]
[name]Gabriel[/name]
[name]Elam[/name]
[name]James[/name]

I , dislike [name]Lazer[/name] but like [name]Lazar[/name] BECAUSE of the Toddler on the Roof reference. I like [name]Ezra[/name] better though.

First thought, [name]Lazar[/name] [name]Wolf[/name] from Fiddler. Second thought, it’s out there, but at least it’s a “real” name, seeing as I could think of one! I would be hesitant to use it myself, but I don’t hate it. :slight_smile:

ummm I meant Fiddler on the Roof. thanks phone…

Honest thought…[name]Lazer[/name]??? REALLY???I’m sure he will love it most little boys like laser guns…I would keep looking…I’m sorry I don’t like it at all

Immediately thought of [name]Lazar[/name] [name]Wolf[/name] from Fiddler on the Roof! Ha! What about the longer version of [name]Eleazar[/name]?!?!