Can I still use Esmé?

[name_f]Esmé[/name_f] is one of my favourite girls names and the one that’s probably been on my list the longest.

I haven’t asked SO what he thinks of it, so I’m not sure if we’ll ever actually use it, but I have a bit of a dilemma about whether we could use it.

[name_f]My[/name_f] concern is that my niece’s name is [name_f]Isabelle[/name_f], but she almost exclusively gets called [name_u]Izzy[/name_u] by our family. I don’t think [name_f]Esmé[/name_f] needs a nickname, but we’re nickname people and I would be surprised if it didn’t occasionally get shortened around home to Ez, or worse, Ezzy.

I think we could restrain ourselves from Ezzy (I don’t really like it anyway) and just stick with Ez as a bit of a pet name but…

[name_f]Do[/name_f] you think [name_f]Esmé[/name_f] is too close to [name_u]Izzy[/name_u]?
What about Ez and [name_u]Izzy[/name_u]?
[name_m]Can[/name_m] you think of any other nicknames for [name_f]Esmé[/name_f]?

(We don’t live in the same city as my brother and his family, so we might see them every six months on average.)

2 Likes

I don’t think Esmé is too close to Izzy. Ez isn’t too close to Izzy, either

since it’s pronounced ez-MAY, maybe May could work as a nickname? or Em?

4 Likes

Esmé and Izzy are fine as cousins, as are Ez and Izzy. I agree with @venezio that May would definitely work as a nickname.

2 Likes

[name_f]Esmé[/name_f] is lovely! I don’t think [name_f]Esmé[/name_f] and [name_u]Izzy[/name_u] are too close for cousins, or even Ez and [name_u]Izzy[/name_u]. I love the previous suggestions of [name_f]May[/name_f] and [name_f]Em[/name_f] as possible nn alternatives too!

1 Like

I definitely think you can still use it!

[name_f]Esmé[/name_f] is so gorgeous!

1 Like

I don’t think they’re too close at all! [name_f]Esmé[/name_f] is adorable.

1 Like

I’m so relieved that everyone thinks it’s not too close, thank you!!

AND I just worked up the courage to ask SO what he thought of the name Esmé (I was worried he was going to shoot it down and I’d be devastated), but he said he likes it - yay!

Yes, May and Em are great suggestions! I think we’d just wait and see what comes naturally rather than decide in advance, but those are excellent ones to “try on”. Thanks!

That’s really encouraging to hear, thank you!

1 Like

I think [name_f]Esme[/name_f] and [name_u]Izzy[/name_u] are fine :slight_smile:

1 Like

I don’t think it will be an issue. [name_f]Esmé[/name_f] and [name_u]Izzy[/name_u] are fine as cousins.

1 Like

they’re completely fine together

1 Like

I think it’s fine! It may be a bit of a stretch, but I think Emme/Emmie could work as a nickname. There’s also [name_f]Mae[/name_f] or [name_f]Mae[/name_f] [name_f]Mae[/name_f].

1 Like

I don’t think they’re too close at all! I have a niece called [name_f]Esme[/name_f] and her nn is [name_f]Emmy[/name_f], her little sister’s middle name is also [name_f]Isabelle[/name_f]! Not quite the same but still.

1 Like

No need to worry. [name_f]Isabelle[/name_f] and [name_f]Esme[/name_f] are totally different names. [name_m]Way[/name_m] too much worry going around about this sort of thing. [name_f]Esme[/name_f] is gorgeous.

1 Like

I wouldn’t think they were too close even if they were the same name. When kids go to school, there’s their name, multiplied by many.

1 Like

No, I don’t think so. Unless you pronounce it ez-mee, as I have heard that some do. But ez-may is not too similar to Izzy, imo. :slight_smile:

I still think it’s fine. If it helps, there are two cousins in my family whose names rhyme perfectly, and it’s never been an issue!

May? Mimi?

And given that they wouldn’t be together that often anyway, I wouldn’t worry about it!

1 Like