Can I still use Esmé?

[name_f]Esmé[/name_f] is one of my favourite girls names and the one that’s probably been on my list the longest.

I haven’t asked SO what he thinks of it, so I’m not sure if we’ll ever actually use it, but I have a bit of a dilemma about whether we could use it.

[name_f]My[/name_f] concern is that my niece’s name is [name_f]Isabelle[/name_f], but she almost exclusively gets called [name_u]Izzy[/name_u] by our family. I don’t think [name_f]Esmé[/name_f] needs a nickname, but we’re nickname people and I would be surprised if it didn’t occasionally get shortened around home to Ez, or worse, Ezzy.

I think we could restrain ourselves from Ezzy (I don’t really like it anyway) and just stick with Ez as a bit of a pet name but…

[name_f]Do[/name_f] you think [name_f]Esmé[/name_f] is too close to [name_u]Izzy[/name_u]?
What about Ez and [name_u]Izzy[/name_u]?
[name_m]Can[/name_m] you think of any other nicknames for [name_f]Esmé[/name_f]?

(We don’t live in the same city as my brother and his family, so we might see them every six months on average.)

2 Likes

I don’t think [name_f]Esmé[/name_f] is too close to [name_u]Izzy[/name_u]. Ez isn’t too close to [name_u]Izzy[/name_u], either

since it’s pronounced ez-MAY, maybe [name_f]May[/name_f] could work as a nickname? or [name_f]Em[/name_f]?

4 Likes

[name_f]Esmé[/name_f] and [name_u]Izzy[/name_u] are fine as cousins, as are Ez and [name_u]Izzy[/name_u]. I agree with @quilliza that [name_f]May[/name_f] would definitely work as a nickname.

2 Likes

[name_f]Esmé[/name_f] is lovely! I don’t think [name_f]Esmé[/name_f] and [name_u]Izzy[/name_u] are too close for cousins, or even Ez and [name_u]Izzy[/name_u]. I love the previous suggestions of [name_f]May[/name_f] and [name_f]Em[/name_f] as possible nn alternatives too!

1 Like

I definitely think you can still use it!

[name_f]Esmé[/name_f] is so gorgeous!

1 Like

I don’t think they’re too close at all! [name_f]Esmé[/name_f] is adorable.

1 Like

I’m so relieved that everyone thinks it’s not too close, thank you!!

AND I just worked up the courage to ask SO what he thought of the name [name_f]Esmé[/name_f] (I was worried he was going to shoot it down and I’d be devastated), but he said he likes it - yay!

Yes, [name_f]May[/name_f] and [name_f]Em[/name_f] are great suggestions! I think we’d just wait and see what comes naturally rather than decide in advance, but those are excellent ones to “try on”. Thanks!

That’s really encouraging to hear, thank you!

1 Like

I think [name_f]Esme[/name_f] and [name_u]Izzy[/name_u] are fine :slight_smile:

1 Like

I don’t think it will be an issue. [name_f]Esmé[/name_f] and [name_u]Izzy[/name_u] are fine as cousins.

1 Like

they’re completely fine together

1 Like

I think it’s fine! It may be a bit of a stretch, but I think Emme/Emmie could work as a nickname. There’s also [name_f]Mae[/name_f] or [name_f]Mae[/name_f] [name_f]Mae[/name_f].

1 Like

I don’t think they’re too close at all! I have a niece called [name_f]Esme[/name_f] and her nn is [name_f]Emmy[/name_f], her little sister’s middle name is also [name_f]Isabelle[/name_f]! Not quite the same but still.

1 Like

No need to worry. [name_f]Isabelle[/name_f] and [name_f]Esme[/name_f] are totally different names. [name_m]Way[/name_m] too much worry going around about this sort of thing. [name_f]Esme[/name_f] is gorgeous.

1 Like

I wouldn’t think they were too close even if they were the same name. When kids go to school, there’s their name, multiplied by many.

1 Like

No, I don’t think so. Unless you pronounce it ez-mee, as I have heard that some do. But ez-may is not too similar to [name_u]Izzy[/name_u], imo. :slight_smile:

I still think it’s fine. If it helps, there are two cousins in my family whose names rhyme perfectly, and it’s never been an issue!

[name_f]May[/name_f]? [name_f]Mimi[/name_f]?

And given that they wouldn’t be together that often anyway, I wouldn’t worry about it!

1 Like