Can I teach English with a degree in creative writing?

Can you become an English teacher with a degree in creative writing?

It’s time I start thinking about colleges and careers. I want to become a high school English teacher. But I just want that to be my day job. I want to pursue writing on the side and quit teaching once I’m able to make a living off my book. So if I want to become an author, I’d want to take creative writing. But can I still teach English after majoring in creative writing?

I’d also want to teach drama. Can I minor in theatre and still teach that?

No. You need a degree in education to teach. I would get a bachelor’s degree in English language arts ([name_f]ELA[/name_f]) education that certifies you to teach grades 6-12. You would be able to teach drama with this degree also. [name_m]Minor[/name_m] in creative writing or theatre, keeping in mind you’ll be taking a lot of English courses for an [name_f]ELA[/name_f] education degree anyway.

There are ways to get your teacher’s certification without a bachelor’s degree in education, but it varies by state and usually involves getting a master’s degree.

No, you can’t, unless you want to be a professor–in that case, yes but you’ll need a higher degree. Keep in mind that being a teacher is a very time-consuming job, so you might not be left with time to write–but hey, [name_m]Stephen[/name_m] [name_m]King[/name_m] did it. It’s about making time.

Would be cool to know more about what you decide! I’m currently going into entrepreneurship but tinkering in graphic design & photography as well as I want to sustain my own businesses and eventually have them sustain a dog rescue! I plan on being an author on the side as well!

Haha I’m leaning towards nursing now. I’d love to become a neonatal nurse. I haven’t told my parents yet because I don’t think they’d be supportive (they’d tell me to go all the way and become a doctor, which I do NOT want to do at all, too much schooling).

[name_f]My[/name_f] dream is to become a full time author someday though, that’ll never change.

[name_m]Don[/name_m]'t know if you’re still questioning this but have you considered becoming a librarian? It may take more schooling (depending on where you are), but it’s certainly a wonderful job for an author to get to be around books all day long. :blush: Many of the librarians I know also have had the chance to meet several famous authors at workshops and such. Sometimes public libraries offer scholarships to employees looking to pursue their MLS degree.

I’d LOVE to be a librarian but they just don’t make a lot and even though I’m not choosing a job for the money, it’s still an important factor you know? I will consider it though and thank you for the suggestion! :slight_smile:

1 Like

This is unfortunately true. Good luck in your search and with your writing! :blush:

1 Like