Can I use Jasper for a girl?

Does daughter number 1 have a very girly name? If her name was let’s say [name]Sophia[/name] I wouldn’t do it.

Yep. There is nothing remotely feminine about [name]Jasper[/name]. It’s not “just” a gemstone name, it’s a name that’s been used in the English-speaking world since the Middle Ages (it means “treasurer” in Persian). It’s a name commonly assigned to one of the three wise men.

[name]Jasper[/name] means spotted or speckled stone. The stone precedes the English name. [name]Jasper[/name] stones are mentioned in the Bible

The Persian name is [name]Kaspar[/name]/[name]Gaspar[/name]. If you’re going by behindthenames they’re wrong. The magi’s name was [name]Gaspar[/name]/[name]Caspar[/name].

I personally wouldn’t use [name]Jasper[/name] for a girl

As a name, [name]Jasper[/name] is a variation of the Persian [name]Kaspar[/name]. [name]Casper[/name] ([name]Caspar[/name]) was the magi that brought frankincense. [name]Caspar[/name] comes from the Persian “[name]Gaspar[/name]”, which means “treasurer”. [name]Gaspar[/name] is from the ancient Chaldean word “gizbar”.

The stone jasper is derived from the Greek iaspis, meaning “spotted or speckled stone”.

Yes you can use [name]Jasper[/name] on a girl. [name]Jazz[/name] is a cute nickname.

For me, [name]Jazz[/name] is a bit too close to the slang term used for semen.

I’m sorry, but I’m just not a fan :frowning: [name]Jasper[/name] feels very masculine to me <3

YES! I think [name]Jasper[/name] would not only work for a girl but I like it. :slight_smile: I would compliment you if you introduced your daughter as [name]Jasper[/name]. I might even gush! [name]Jazz[/name] is cute, too. I would totally add [name]Jasper[/name] to my girls list if my partner liked it. [name]Jasper[/name] is technically a nature name and those are fair game in my book when it comes to gender wars. I think as long as you and your significant other agree you are good to go. You two have the most important opinions, anyway.

I like the idea of using a very femenine middle name to avoid too much confusion but I can’t help but point out that [name]Jasper[/name] [name]Ruby[/name] strikes me as a little off because it is two stones. I know a little girl named [name]Lily[/name] [name]Rose[/name] and all I think is “[name]Flower[/name] [name]Flower[/name]”. The sound & flow of [name]Jasper[/name] [name]Ruby[/name] DOES work though. I like [name]Jasper[/name] [name]Emmeline[/name] the best out of your possible middle names, but [name]Jasper[/name] [name]Susannah[/name] is adorable & manages to run a close second.

Good luck!

[name]True[/name], but [name]Jasper[/name] and [name]Jesper[/name] are European ([name]German[/name]/Scandinavian) variants of [name]Caspar[/name]/[name]Gaspar[/name]. [name]Jesper[/name] is very common in Denmark.

Which came first is hardly up for discussion, what needs to be mentioned is that going to Europe (almost anywhere but the British Isles) [name]Jasper[/name] would be percieved as a boys name because it is.
The gemstone connection would only be made if mentioned, [name]Jasper[/name] is commonly known as Jaspis in most of Europe.

I personally see it as very masculine with it’s -per ending. (I don’t think [name]Piper[/name] or [name]Harper[/name] would be suitable for a girl either, you can be spunky without being masculine. The exception is [name]Vesper[/name], but I view that as unisex and would love it for either gender.)

If you want something similar, [name]Juniper[/name] is my suggestion. Though it still has the -per ending, it’s a nature name only and [name]June[/name] is a more gender specific nickname than [name]Jazz[/name]. Or Poplar which has never seen any kind of use as a name and can be shortened to [name]Poppy[/name] which is also more gender specific than [name]Jazz[/name].

With the case of [name]Jasper[/name], there are a lot of factors to consider.

1. What is your DD1’s name? Is it gender bender like [name]Riley[/name]? Or is it girly like [name]Isabelle[/name]? Does it follow a nature theme like [name]Lily[/name]? Etc.
    [name]Jasper[/name] on a girl would fit with a sister named [name]Avery[/name], or perhaps [name]Ruby[/name] but not as well as a sister named [name]Marie[/name] or [name]Ariana[/name].

2. Would you name your son [name]Sapphire[/name], if that was a favourite gem of yours?
    I think it’s important not to be biased with gender-bending names, for many reasons that I won’t list unless asked for.

3. Are you okay with some people assuming [name]Jasper[/name] is a boy? Which they will, it’s not even a question.
    Better yet, do you think your child would be okay with that? Would you yourself be okay with that if [name]Jasper[/name] was your own name?

4. Would you like to have a gender-bender name yourself?

Based on the answers to those questions, you should be able to tell if [name]Jasper[/name] is a good idea or not.
Personally, it’s a no from me. I wouldn’t do it, but plenty of others would.

[name]Jasper[/name] for a girl? Oh please, no.

I love [name]Jasper[/name]. I’m personally not a fan of it on a girl, but it does work better than most gender-bender names, [name]IMO[/name]. It really depends on DD1’s name. I’m guessing you picked something obviously feminine for her, though, since you had misgivings about naming her [name]Jasper[/name]. I would definitely take DD1’s name into account when making your decision.

In your position I’d strongly consider:

[name]Vesper[/name]
[name]Juniper[/name]
[name]Aster[/name]
[name]Pepper[/name]

I am guilty of liking some gender benders ([name]Ryan[/name], [name]Charlie[/name]), but I would never actually use them unless they were widely accepted ([name]Rowan[/name], [name]Avery[/name] etc).

Ultimately, I sometimes feel like there won’t be any masculine names left if the traditional boy names get used on girls more frequently. I personally really love ultra-masculine names and I hate to see names like [name]Jasper[/name] lose some of that masculinity.

I’d hate to see it on a girl.

I picture Cruella’s side kick from “101 Dalmations,” so I would never use it for a boy, much less a girl. For some reason, masculine names on a girl just feel sad to me. Maybe it’s because I secretly fear I’ll never get to use a girly name!
Good luck!

[name]Jasper[/name] has always had an old man vibe for me. I think it sounds masculine and I wouldn’t use it for a girl.
I think [name]Aspen[/name], [name]Esther[/name], [name]Aster[/name], [name]Vesper[/name] would work better.

If you love it, no one will convince you otherwise, but I would definitely not do it if your other daughter has a distinctly feminine name.

oh no! my son is [name]Jasper[/name]. All Boy!

[name]Juniper[/name] is a great alternative.

I think this argument over is it a name or stone is null and vous, it is both [name]IMO[/name] but I think it wound depend on the etymology and who used the version “[name]Jasper[/name]” first if you really want to get technical.

[name]How[/name] about [name]Jasmine[/name], nn [name]Jazz[/name]?