Can I use this name in English?

I love the name [name_f]Clemence[/name_f]! It’s meaning and sound are beautiful to me. But…I live in the U.S. and it would be pretty pretentious to pronounce my child’s name in [name_m]French[/name_m] (my husband and I are both American). [name_m]Clay[/name_m]-mahnz is just so much softer than [name_u]Clem[/name_u]-enz. Is there a way I can make this name work in English?

I’m in the US also. When I first saw the name it reminded me of [name_f]Clementine[/name_f]. I would pronounce it as [name_u]Clem[/name_u]-mince if I saw it written down. If you use it you or your daughter will probably constantly be correcting peoples pronunciation and spelling.

UK resident.

I would pronounce [name_f]Clemence[/name_f] as clem-uhnts. But if it was written Clémence, with the accent, I would say clay-mawns.

I don’t think it would work in the US/[name_f]Canada[/name_f] if you don’t like the way the residents would pronounce it.

Well when I first saw it I thought ([name_u]Clem[/name_u]-enz)… maybe you can spell it Clámance (cla-manz) :heart: or [name_u]Clem[/name_u]ánce (cle-manz) :heart:
Good [name_m]Luck[/name_m]!

I would assume [name_u]Clem[/name_u]-entz, especially since it’s an established pronunciation of a word in English. You’d have to do a lot of correcting. Also, the [name_m]Clay[/name_m]-mahnz pronunciation sounds kind of awkward with an American accent — it’s hard for me to say it, at least, without flattening all the vowels Midwestern-style or sounding like I’m doing a bad impression of a [name_m]French[/name_m] accent.

I should add that I like [name_f]Clemence[/name_f] pronounced the way I expect, like [name_f]Clementine[/name_f]. That would be adorable on a child, and grow up well, too.

I too pronounced it like I would clementine, and I thought it was lovely. However I agree with pp’s and I believe you will constantly be correcting people, but if you love it I would use it anyway!

We are constantly correcting people who call my son [name_m]Madoc[/name_m] things like ‘MA-dick’ or ‘Mad-dox’ so if you can deal with correcting them I say go for it :slight_smile:

You won’t get the pronunciation that you desire in [name_u]North[/name_u] [name_u]America[/name_u]. This is especially true due to the similarity of the boy’s name [name_m]Clement[/name_m].

Yeah I thought the name rhymed with lemons, when I first saw it and I kinda like it that way best. I think you could get away with it but yeah it’s a little hoity-toity especially if you’re not french.

I would have pronounced [name_f]Clemence[/name_f] as [name_u]CLEM[/name_u]-ence.

I love the name! I’m a US resident and I’d want to pronounce it ‘Cluh-MAHNSE’ if I didn’t already know how to pronounce it. Adding an accent above the first e (é) would help the pronunciation.

edited for privacy

I think you should pronounce it how you see fit. Others may not at first, but people catch on eventually to particular pronunciations. My partner and I both love [name_f]Mercedes[/name_f] and plan to use the Spanish pronunciation, even though we are Australian - so I get your concern, but I don’t think it is too big a deal. When she is older, she can decide whether she wants to be bothered correcting people all the time or if she is happy for people to just say it however.

Great advice!

Exactly this! [name_m]Even[/name_m] if you do go for it or put an accent mark to make the pronunciation more clean, most people in the united states cant say the name how you want it pronounced. They’ll either just revert to the English equivalent or they’ll butcher the [name_m]French[/name_m] pronunciation. If you are ok with other people never getting the name right and butchering the pronunciation then go for it, but it’s an undue hardship in my opinion. It will be more then just correcting the pronunciation occasionally because even when people know the correct pronunciation, many will be unable to say it. Certain vowel sounds in [name_m]French[/name_m] don’t exist in English and vice versa so you can’t say it properly without an accent which many are unable to do.