can i use this name with my last name?

I love the name [name]Beth[/name]…however my last name is a single syllable, four letter word that also begins with a B (the last letter is k). Can I call a child [name]Beth[/name] B**k…broken up with a middle name obviously?? Or is it too odd sounding. I am also a firm believer in choosing a name because you like the name, not so that you can use a nickname… so [name]Bethany[/name] and [name]Elizabeth[/name] are out! Would appreciate thoughts.

Too close! Needs at least two syllables to have harmony with your last name. Reminds me of a clucking chicken a little because if it’s short sound “Bok Bok”. What about [name]Bethany[/name]? Consider it again because it does sound lovely with your short B last name.
[name]Bettina[/name]
[name]Beatrice[/name]
[name]Beata[/name]
Annabeth

It’s not too bad, but I think maybe a multi-syllable first name would balance out the single-syllable last name. I know you said [name]Bethany[/name] is out, but what if you called her [name]Bethany[/name], instead of [name]Beth[/name]? Use the full name, rather than a nn. I know a couple girls who go by [name]Bethany[/name] with no nn.

I like sko’s suggestion of [name]Bettina[/name].

I think it is not bad at all. She will have a middle name after all. I am totally with you on using the name you love and not doing nicknames. [name]Beth[/name] is such a sweet pretty name!

I would choose a new name, which is unfortunate because [name]Beth[/name] is a great name…but not with your last name.

I’m with you on naming the child what you are going to call the child instead of all that “pick a formal name and he has to have a nickname” nonsense (unfortunately my husband feels differently). I think you can use [name]Beth[/name] as long as you use a longer name for the middle or even do two middle names. [name]Beth[/name] is a very sweet name.

I wouldn’t do it.
Sure she has a middle name, but that’s just it, it’s a MIDDLE name. She’s going by her first name I guess? So it’s still [name]Beth[/name] B**k except for official papers and stuff.
I would either use a longer name and use [name]Beth[/name] as a nickname even though you’re against it (I am too), or chose a different name.

If you love the name, use it. I like the alliteration of the double Bs but personally, I don’t love the two short names together. Sounds a little abrupt for my liking

Thanks all. For the most part you’ve confirmed what I already thought. Always good to have more opinions!