Can I use this name?

I am due in 5 weeks with a boy after having 2 girls! I just can’t get past my favourite name of [name_u]Noah[/name_u]…my husband’s cousin has used it for her 4 year old girl, spelling [name_u]Noa[/name_u]. We see them maybe once or twice a year. Different last names. [name_m]Can[/name_m] i use it??? So sad when i found out she used it for her daughter 4 years ago as i have always loved the name [name_u]Noah[/name_u] for a boy!

Yes, I don’t see why not. It’s not like the children would see each other often nor are they really going to be growing up together.

1 Like

I definitely think so, especially as [name_u]Noah[/name_u] is very common for boys. If you were having a girl named [name_u]Noa[/name_u], which is more unusual, I think it would be weirder, but as it is you’re giving a very popular boys’ name to your son that happens to be similar to a relatively distant relative’s child.

2 Likes

I think it’s fine to use. The two children are not closely related (such as cousins themselves) and the names are spelled differently. [name_u]Noa[/name_u] reads girl to me, and [name_u]Noah[/name_u] is all boy.

Yes, you can still use it! You’re using it for a different gender and it’s not even spelled the same.

I would say if you love it go for it !

Use it.

Absolutely!

I think I am the only one that would say no but I’m just not keen on sharing names amongst family members even if they’re not immediate family but you still see them.

4 Likes

I don’t see why not.

I don’t think it’s a problem. They don’t see each other often, and it’s not technically the same name.

You can definitely still use it!

I have to say I agree that I find it awkward as well. But frankly the opinions of strangers shouldn’t really matter.

What strikes me is that you asked the question in the first place… I think this indicates YOU have some concerns about it. Ask yourself why you have these concerns. Maybe you are worried about the opinions of your family? See if you can make peace with your concerns. If you can, then go ahead and use it! But if not, unfortunately you probably should look for an alternative.

2 Likes

I’d personally avoid it but i don’t think it’s unusable if you dont mind sharing (though as @tianagrace points out, that you raise the issue suggests it might bother you)
[name_u]Jonah[/name_u], [name_u]Rowan[/name_u], [name_m]Ronan[/name_m], [name_u]Nolan[/name_u] and [name_m]Koa[/name_m] are names that remind me of [name_u]Noah[/name_u]

I think you can use it! The fact that you rarely see them makes it seem like less of an issue. It’s your favorite name, so you shouldn’t have to give it up. As they get older, they may even see eachother even less than they do now. If it were your husband’s sibling who used the name, I’d be more hesitant. I think it’s okay though because it’s a rarely seen cousin!
If you are still unsure about it, you could always talk to your husband’s cousin about the situation, and explain how you’ve always loved the name. that may help you feel better about the decision!
either way, if you feel like you’d always regret not using [name_u]Noah[/name_u], then you should use it.
Good luck! :slightly_smiling_face:

I would use it!

Use it for sure! It’s fine

I wouldn’t use it myself - for me, anything that family has used is out - but really, it’s about whether you feel comfortable using it. Maybe you could float it with your family/Noa’s parents to see the reaction? If they are happy with you using it then I imagine it’ll make you feel much better about it.

I don’t this makes it unusable, since the kids likely wouldn’t see each other very often, and [name_u]Noah[/name_u] is more common for boys anyway. If it doesn’t bother you too much, I don’t see why you can’t use it.

Thank you so much everyone!