Can I?

If I have a friend named [name]Kyla[/name], could I name my daughter [name]Isla[/name]?

I say yes definitely!

[name]How[/name] often do you see her?

We talk on the phone more than we see each other…she’s moving to the other side of the country in [name]August[/name] :frowning:

Yes then for SURE you can name you babe [name]Isla[/name]! At the core they are VERY different names.

Of course. [name]Isla[/name] is a beautiful name, very popular where I’m from in [name]Scotland[/name] :slight_smile:

[name]Gracie[/name]

Of course. [name]Isla[/name] is a beautiful name, very popular where I’m from in [name]Scotland[/name] :slight_smile:
And I have a cousin named [name]Kyla[/name] but I am considering [name]Isla[/name] for one of my triplets.
[name]Gracie[/name]

Cool! This makes me happy :slight_smile:

We also have a puppy named [name]Kyra[/name] (which doesn’t sound like [name]Kyla[/name]… but REALLY looks like it) and I didn’t want to completley take over her name :slight_smile:

Honestly I think the puppy named [name]Kyra[/name] is much more of a problem than a friend called [name]Kyla[/name]. That’s a name you’ll be calling out with regularity along with your daughter’s name.

I agree with moxielove. The puppy’s name will have a very similiar sound to your daughter’s name. I wanted to use the name [name]Lila[/name] if I have a girl, but ended up crossing it off my list b/c I have a cat named [name]Layla[/name]. The names are too close sounding. Could get to be confusing- for both the baby and the puppy!

Wait. [name]Just[/name] to make sure we’re on the same page, she wants to name her baby [name]Isla[/name], not [name]Kyla[/name]. The baby will be [name]Isla[/name], and her puppy is named [name]Kyra[/name]. I personally don’t think [name]Isla[/name] and [name]Kyra[/name] are too close. ([name]Kyra[/name] and [name]Kyla[/name] are too close, but she’s not naming her baby [name]Kyla[/name]). :slight_smile:

Right: [name]Isla[/name] & [name]Kyra[/name]. It’s just the 2 syllable, ending in “a” thing sounds a little too matching and I think it would be a little strange to have your dog’s name at all similar to your daughter’s name.

It’s not that they would be confused for one another per say (like [name]Lila[/name] and [name]Layla[/name]!) but more that they match. And I just think they shouldn’t.

Does that mean all 2 syllable names ending in “a” are out? I don’t know. But I just didn’t get why a friend named [name]Kyla[/name] would cause any problems at all, and figured she might be extra sensitive to matching sounding names.

My biggest concern was that [name]Isla[/name] and [name]Kyla[/name] sound very similar to me. I didn’t want to consider a name that would sort of “take the spotlight away” from my friend…if that makes sense at all. The [name]Kyra[/name] and [name]Isla[/name] thing doesn’t bother me at all (the majority of my favorite names end in a vowel, so I sort of HAVE to get over it :} ) I just didn’t want it to seem like I would be “stealing” the name for my daughter. I dunno…I think I over thought it. I’m not expecting, so basically all I do is think about my favorite names and every possibility that goes with them. (I think I’m driving my husband crazy :} )