Can Leo be a Nickname for Elliot?

I’ve always loved the name [name]Elliot[/name], though after I had a rather trying student with the name, I lost my taste for it for awhile. I’m loving it again, especially with the nickname [name]Leo[/name]. Is that too much of a longshot as a nn? Also, my husband always uses an ET voice when he says the name, but 1) I don’t think that’s necessarily a bad association and 2) [name]How[/name] many kids born in 2012 are going to be readily familiar with the movie? Thoughts? Thanks!

I love ET! Great movie, great association for a name. Couldn’t tell you how many kids will be familiar with the movie though. I have cousins as young as six and they’ve all seen ET. I think [name]Elliot[/name] nn [name]Leo[/name] could work.

Well, seeing that [name]Elliot[/name] [name]David[/name], nn [name]Leo[/name], is on my list, I definitely think it could work! :slight_smile:

I mean, ‘lio’ is right there, I mean, it’s not the same spelling, or the same pronunciation, but I think it’s quite readily available. :slight_smile:

Good luck!

I love both names. But I think [name]Leo[/name] could work on its own, if you are sure want to call him that. But I still think it could work.
It’s just a personal opinion of preferring names without intended nicknames, unless the nickname doesn’t work as a name on its own.

I prefer either [name]Leo[/name] on its own or [name]Elliot[/name] on its own.

I can relate about the student thing though, i work in a daycare with a roll of 60 and meeting so many young ones can definetly put you off a few names because you cant help but think of that one rascal who ruined the name for you!

It works for me! [name]Elliot[/name] is a lovely name.

I think if you’re going to call him [name]Leo[/name] then you should just name him [name]Leo[/name]. The names are so far apart (and each is a name in its own right) that I just see things getting very confusing.