Can’t decide on a name for our girl

We are having a girl in late [name_f]October[/name_f] and we just can’t decide on a name.

Here’s our current list:

Audra (thought we were set on this but now we’re second guessing)
[name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] (“safe” pick since it’s so popular, we like it but I’m not sure I’m sold)
[name_u]Phaedra[/name_u] (I LOVE this name but DH isn’t so sure- also slightly concerned about reception)

MN will likely be [name_f]Rose[/name_f] (honor name). Big brother is [name_m]Sebastian[/name_m].

We appreciate the feedback! Both good and bad!

2 Likes

Phaedra! The nn Phae/Fae would be cute :blush:

2 Likes

Charlotte! Gorgeous!

I like [name_f]Audra[/name_f] the best, but [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] sounds like it “goes” better with [name_m]Sebastian[/name_m] (not that sibling names really have to match)

Definitely [name_f]Audra[/name_f]! I also really like [name_f]Audrey[/name_f] if that’s something you’d consider.

1 Like

I think [name_f]Audra[/name_f] [name_f]Rose[/name_f] flows beautifully and goes really well with [name_m]Sebastian[/name_m] (even if it is a slightly different style). I don’t think they’re different enough to be a problem in this case! [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] is beautiful but don’t choose a name just because it is safe, choose it because you love it or you think it suits your child. [name_u]Phaedra[/name_u] I’m not sold on because you have two beautiful other choices, but I also don’t think its horrible.

Best wishes :slight_smile:

Audra [name_f]Rose[/name_f] is really beautiful! [name_f]My[/name_f] second favorite is [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f]. Both names sounds amazing for [name_m]Sebastian[/name_m]’s sister.

Audra is charming! I think it would be a great “safe” alternative to [name_u]Phaedra[/name_u], though, tbh, I don’t think [name_u]Phaedra[/name_u] is too out there to use if that’s the name you both really love.

Either of them would pair well with the mn and big brother’s name, imo. It’s [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] that feels a little flat by comparison. :slight_smile:

Without first looking it up if I’m honest I’m not exactly sure how to pronounce [name_u]Phaedra[/name_u]. So that might be something to consider but doesn’t necessarily rule it out. [name_f]My[/name_f] first borns name is [name_m]Jabez[/name_m] and when he was first born or still when people first meet him it’s always a lesson on how to say his name but people pick up pronunciations rather quick.

I love [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] of your choices but I do understand being thrown off by popularity so
[name_f]Audra[/name_f]/ [name_f]Audrey[/name_f] is a beautiful alternative name.

ETA: looked it up on Nameberry. [name_m]Don[/name_m]’t think that should be hard of a pronunciation to pick up on. I like the meaning. Although [name_f]Audra[/name_f] is also a nice meaning so Instill think [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] first, [name_f]Audra[/name_f] second and [name_u]Phaedra[/name_u] third if I’m ranking them!

1 Like

Hi there.

Audra is perfect! It’s simple, smart, feminine w/out being fussy, not over done & grows up well. I like it a lot. [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] is totally over done, however. It’s a nice enough name, but I’m just tired of it. Is [name_u]Phaedra[/name_u] said ‘[name_f]Fay[/name_f]-druh’? I think it’s nice w/Sebastian. Slightly exotic & totally unexpected, but sounds feminine & bold. It’s not my personal cup of tea, but I wouldn’t be at all disappointed to meet one. I’d say go for it if it’s your favorite.

Hope this helps. :slight_smile:

Ooh I’ve never heard of it before but I actually really like [name_u]Phaedra[/name_u]! [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] is also a close second, I think the two of them go great with [name_m]Sebastian[/name_m]

I see why this is tough–all 3 names are lovely! I would rule out [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] since you seem iffy about it. [name_f]Audra[/name_f] and [name_u]Phaedra[/name_u] are both so great I can’t choose a favorite. Good luck as you decide!

Thank you for all of the feedback! [name_u]Phaedra[/name_u] would be pronounced [name_f]Fay[/name_f]-druh. A lot of you mentioned many of our own thoughts in regards to each name. They all have pros and cons and we are having such a hard time deciding!

Side note- our last name starts with F, does that take away from [name_u]Phaedra[/name_u] since they both start with the F sound?

1 Like

I love alliteration so that only makes it better to me but I know some people don’t like repeating first/last names letters or sounds.

I love [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] myself! Although I realize that the name never stood out to me before it got really popular, so I wonder if I’m under the “popularity spell” that defines naming trends each generation. Actually, I also like [name_u]Phaedra[/name_u], but it’s less of a safe option and more likely to cause confusion with pronunciation and spelling.

Audra is nice as well, but I prefer [name_f]Audrey[/name_f].

I can give you some names to see if these help at all?

Sabrina
[name_f]Violet[/name_f]
[name_f]Josephine[/name_f]
[name_f]Lily[/name_f]
[name_f]Rose[/name_f]
[name_f]Clara[/name_f]

I love both Audra and Phaedra and think they’re both nice with Sebastian! I actually don’t like Charlotte with Sebastian much, despite them being more similar in popularity.

With middle Rose, I think I lean toward Audra. I’m not sure Rose stands up to Phaedra enough to be balanced. And if you’re worried it isn’t a “safe” enough choice, there is always Audrey/ Audre.

Faye instead of [name_u]Phaedra[/name_u]? But I say go for it if you love [name_u]Phaedra[/name_u]! I love [name_f]Audra[/name_f]. [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] is definitely common at this point but still a classic.

I love [name_u]Phaedra[/name_u]! I really like [name_f]Audra[/name_f] too and I think it feels “safer” than [name_u]Phaedra[/name_u], if you decide that [name_u]Phaedra[/name_u] is too much for you.

I like [name_u]Phaedra[/name_u]! What about…

Clementine [name_f]Rose[/name_f]
[name_f]Eliza[/name_f] [name_f]Rose[/name_f]
[name_f]Penelope[/name_f] [name_f]Rose[/name_f]
[name_f]Calliope[/name_f] [name_f]Rose[/name_f]
[name_f]Beatrice[/name_f] [name_f]Rose[/name_f]
[name_u]Harper[/name_u] [name_f]Rose[/name_f]
[name_f]Ophelia[/name_f] [name_f]Rose[/name_f]
[name_f]Saoirse[/name_f] [name_f]Rose[/name_f]
[name_f]Maile[/name_f] or [name_f]Miley[/name_f] [name_f]Rose[/name_f]
[name_f]Ximena[/name_f] [name_f]Rose[/name_f]

I love [name_f]Audra[/name_f], and it sounds nice next to [name_m]Sebastian[/name_m].

1 Like