Can we politely discuss ACB's baby names?

[name_u]Truly[/name_u], DO NOT comment on the new SCJ nominee’s politics. Whether you’re thrilled or horrified, all that matters on this post are the names of her seven children.
Particularly of her daughters. A little googling revealed:

[name_f]Emma[/name_f] (less popular when she was born 18 years ago), [name_f]Tess[/name_f], [name_u]Vivian[/name_u], and [name_f]Juliet[/name_f].

Naming four daughters is a fun daydream for those of us who aren’t doing it in reality, and I think she nailed it.
Her boys are [name_u]Liam[/name_u], [name_m]John[/name_m] [name_m]Peter[/name_m], and [name_u]Benjamin[/name_u], which don’t do as much for me.

Agreement? Dissent?

If I say too much, I’ll start harping on my political views, so I’ll just say that those are nice names and go.

11 Likes

I don’t know who this person is, but they are lovely names!

1 Like

@may.rose Trump’s nomination to take over the Supreme [name_m]Court[/name_m] seat RBG left behind. Her name is [name_f]Amy[/name_f] Coney [name_u]Barrett[/name_u].

4 Likes

Oh…

I can’t lie, when I heard ACB is the nominee, I googled straight away to find her children’s names! I am always interested in larger sibsets :stuck_out_tongue: I assumed that her children’s names would be more overtly religious, but they are all quite lovely.

I for sure agree that the girls’ names excited me more. I do love the name [name_u]Benjamin[/name_u], but I feel [name_u]Liam[/name_u] and [name_m]John[/name_m] [name_m]Peter[/name_m] are rather plain sounding to their siblings. I really love how the girls sound together. [name_u]Vivian[/name_u] and [name_f]Juliet[/name_f] are my favorites - beautiful!

I think overall, they are a lovely set of names!

3 Likes

I feel really creepy because I ALWAYS look up celebritiy baby names — I figure they must have some naming wisdom if they’re so prominent in the arts lol. So I’ve already looked at ACB’s baby names because it’s a habit of mine. But I worry that my search history looks weird because I am just like “Ooh, I wonder what [name_u]Jamie[/name_u] [name_u]Lee[/name_u] [name_u]Curtis[/name_u] named her kids?!” And then off I go searching.

As to the subject at hand, ACB gave her kids good names… none of her names are terrible. As a general principle, it’s important to remind ourselves that even bad people can have style and imagination. There’s a thread of humanity among the best and worst in history that should prevent us from assuming unearthly qualities of those we love and despise.

I’ve also already looked up RBG’s children’s names :grimacing:

3 Likes

The names of her daughters are quite nice, I like all of them, but I dont really like her sons names.

2 Likes

I expected more obviously Catholic, I think. But I’m not Catholic; maybe the names are more so than I realize. I agree that [name_u]Vivian[/name_u] and [name_f]Juliet[/name_f] are my favorite, though I prefer the [name_u]French[/name_u] spellings. I also really like [name_f]Tess[/name_f].

2 Likes

Jane and [name_u]James[/name_u]…ACB wins on names in my book, though I like both of RBG’s names separately, just not as a sibset of two.

I agree that names are a wonderful reminder of shared humanity. Good names from someone I don’t care for make me feel a bit of affinity towards that person. And dreadful names from someone I respect remind me that no one is perfect :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Yeah, [name_f]Jane[/name_f] and [name_u]James[/name_u] are almost the same in sound, so I thought that was strange. I’ve noticed that academics tend to go more traditional.

1 Like

I think they’re a very well-named set of kids!

1 Like

I love [name_f]Tess[/name_f], [name_u]Vivian[/name_u] (although I prefer [name_u]Vivien[/name_u]), [name_m]John[/name_m] [name_m]Peter[/name_m], and [name_u]Benjamin[/name_u]! Then again, I’m a huge fan of double barrels beginning with [name_m]John[/name_m]:

John [name_u]Micah[/name_u]
[name_m]John[/name_m] [name_u]Everett[/name_u]
[name_m]John[/name_m] [name_m]Patrick[/name_m]
[name_m]John[/name_m] [name_u]Benjamin[/name_u]
[name_m]John[/name_m] [name_m]Caleb[/name_m]
[name_m]John[/name_m] [name_m]Luke[/name_m]
etc.

John [name_m]Peter[/name_m] is one of my favorites, but I just love [name_m]Peter[/name_m] in general, and [name_u]Benjamin[/name_u] is one of my favorite names. [name_f]Juliet[/name_f]’s always been a bit overrated for me (much like the play!), but I can see the appeal. And I prefer [name_f]Emmeline[/name_f] or [name_f]Emilia[/name_f] to just [name_f]Emma[/name_f]; I’m not the hugest [name_f]Emma[/name_f] fan personally. But [name_f]Tess[/name_f], [name_u]Vivian[/name_u], [name_m]John[/name_m] [name_m]Peter[/name_m], and [name_u]Benjamin[/name_u] make my heart happy. :heart:

1 Like

Her kids’ names are okay. How did a judge find time to have 7 children?

Some of them are adopted

1 Like

Oh, that makes sense. I’ve been avoiding the news lately since I’ve been so into it for so long. A short break is what I need right now.

2 Likes

I like all of the names together, they’re sweet.

1 Like

Probably the same way all women who are mothers and work outside the home do. She got pregnant, took maternity leave then hired some kind of childcare. Not sure why that would be such a mystery.

As for the names, [name_f]Emma[/name_f] and [name_u]Liam[/name_u] aren’t my style but I like all the others, especially the other girl names.

1 Like

I have absolutely no clue who this person is, but the girl’s names are lovely!

1 Like

Trump’s new Supreme [name_m]Court[/name_m] nominee to replace [name_u]Justice[/name_u] [name_f]Ruth[/name_f] [name_m]Bader[/name_m] Ginsburg

2 Likes