Can you have a Phoebe with a Penelope and other questions!?

a

I really hate to say it, especially as I like both names a lot, but I think [name]Phoebe[/name] and [name]Penelope[/name] are too close for sisters - both with a P beginning and an EE ending sound. Of the two, I’d choose [name]Penelope[/name] to go with [name]Claudie[/name], as the difference in length makes the identical end EE sounds less noticeable, in my opinion.

That said, if you really can’t find a third name that you love as much as [name]Phoebe[/name], and you always called them [name]Bea[/name] and [name]Nell[/name] … maybe you should overlook the similarity if it wouldn’t bother you. I say this because picking individual names that you love should be the priority, rather than forming the perfect set of sibling names, as in later life many people who know your [name]Phoebe[/name] won’t know your [name]Penelope[/name] - to you they will always be [name]Claudie[/name], [name]Phoebe[/name] and [name]Penelope[/name], but to most other people [name]Phoebe[/name] will be an individual.

I love [name]Rosalia[/name] nn [name]Rose[/name]! I don’t think you should go with [name]Claudia[/name] instead of [name]Claudie[/name] if you really don’t like it as much.

If you don’t like any of the other names as much (I love some of them), then [name]Claudie[/name], [name]Rosalia[/name] and [name]Penelope[/name] need a fourth name for a sister - I’ll try and think of some ideas. I think you could use [name]Catalina[/name], as it would continue the European theme, but it bothers me that it starts with the same hard C sound as [name]Claudie[/name].

[name]Just[/name] checking that you don’t perhaps like [name]Isadora[/name] in place of Isola?

I really want to complete the set with [name]Victoria[/name] nn [name]Plum[/name], especially as then you would have two EE endings and two IA endings. [name]Claudie[/name], [name]Rose[/name], [name]Nell[/name] and [name]Plum[/name] - adorable, in my opinion.

I love [name]Nola[/name], but I do think it would be too close to [name]Nell[/name] to use as a first name.

[name]Annora[/name] would be brilliant with your girls, or [name]Anona[/name], especially nn [name]Annie[/name]. I hope he likes at least one of them!

Other names which could nn to [name]Lena[/name]/[name]Lina[/name] (both pronounced [name]LEE[/name]-nuh) :
[name]Adelina[/name] - Spanish, Italian
[name]Celina[/name] (or the longer form, [name]Marcelina[/name]) - Polish
[name]Evangelina[/name] - Spanish, English
[name]Evelina[/name] - English, Italian, Swedish
[name]Olena[/name] - Ukrainian
[name]Rosalina[/name] (obviously couldn’t use with [name]Rosalia[/name], though) - Spanish, Portuguese
[name]Valentina[/name] - Italian.

[name]Auburn[/name]

[name]Hi[/name] [name]Auburn[/name]!

[name]Welcome[/name] back, I noticed you’d been msising for a while! :slight_smile:

Those really are the 3 names we both [name]LOVE[/name] individually which drives me insane but I guess it just proves how much we like the sounds in the names.

I do love some of the other names, we just don’t mutually love them and that’s what I’m looking for. A set of names that go well where we both adore each individual name too. My partner’s fairly easy going and will normally go along with any name I like as long as he doesn’t hate it ([name]Edith[/name], [name]Greta[/name] and [name]Eulalia[/name] come to mind as vetoed names.

On a positive note, he does like [name]Dahlia[/name] (too similar to [name]Rosalia[/name]?), [name]Lilith[/name] (can I get passed all the little [name]Lilly[/name]'s out there? Would it stand out next to them or blend right in and is there a nn other that [name]Lil[/name] or [name]Lilly[/name]?), [name]Zaria[/name] (also too similar to [name]Rosalia[/name]?), [name]Lydia[/name] (too popular??) and he even liked [name]Blythe[/name] which surprised me! I don’t know about [name]Blythe[/name] though, it’s not my usual style and could be more of a flash in the pan thing for me rather than a long lasting love affair considering I hated it until a couple of weeks ago! Wouldn’t hold my breath on that one, wow I’m difficult!

Maybe if I found a different “[name]Ro[/name]” name I loved instead of [name]Rosalia[/name], then I could consider [name]Zaria[/name] or [name]Dahlia[/name]. Maybe [name]Rosanna[/name]? Or I’m actually really desperate to find a [name]Ro[/name]/[name]Rose[/name] name I can shorten to [name]Romy[/name] that’s not [name]Rosemary[/name] (ex head mistress at my school growing up…bad associations!). I’ve considered [name]Roma[/name], [name]Romany[/name], [name]Romilly[/name] and [name]Romana[/name] but not sure about them. Which do you like best and why? Are there any other [name]Rose[/name] names that can have the nn [name]Romy[/name]?

Hmm so lots more to think about.

Thanks as usual for all your amazing help (and patience!)

Gah!!! I’m dealing with the same situation with [name]Caitlin[/name], [name]Tessa[/name] and [name]Carys[/name] (though all different endings but adding the issue of two “[name]Ca[/name]” sounds in the begining)!!! I love them all so much but together the don’t seem to fit. Then to add in my favorite boy name, [name]August[/name], and it looks like [name]Tessa[/name] and [name]August[/name] were named by some one and [name]Caitlin[/name] and [name]Carys[/name] were named by some one else. I [name]FEEL[/name] YOUR PAIN!! <3

[name]Claudie[/name], [name]Penelope[/name] and [name]Phoebe[/name] and all beautiful names!! I think with the NNs [name]Bea[/name] and [name]Nell[/name] (oh my Jebus I love [name]Nell[/name] so stinking much!!) that seperates them enough to all be used.

I have a [name]Phoebe[/name], and [name]Penelope[/name] and [name]Daphne[/name] are out for me =(. I think [name]Claudie[/name] is a great sister, though. [name]Margot[/name] and [name]Blythe[/name] are on my list too, and, personally I think [name]Margot[/name] [name]Morgan[/name] is so cute!

Oh you poor thing!! And as you can see from my list we love [name]Tessa[/name] too! I think they’re three lovely names and [name]Caitlin[/name] has a “[name]Kay[/name]” sound whereas [name]Carys[/name] has a “[name]Ca[/name]” sound so there is a difference. I know what you mean though. We always just want to get it perfect don’t we?! Not just the first name, but how it goes with the middle names, how it goes with the last names, what it says about us, how popular it is, how it’s spelt, how it’s pronounced and how it goes with the blooming brothers and sisters!! Hehe. I’m lucky I don’t have the problem yet in reality but looking at the names I like and how similar they are it seems I will eventually, I just don’t think I can give up any of my fav names!

I actually think [name]Caitlin[/name], [name]Tessa[/name] and [name]Carys[/name] all have a very similar feel - they certainly all seem like they’ve been named by the same person! I think they all have a light, breezy, playful, laidback sound. I love them all :slight_smile:

a

I like [name]Claudie[/name] and [name]Pheobe[/name]. Yes, I think [name]Penelope[/name] and [name]Pheobe[/name] are much too close to be sisters.

[name]Bella[/name]

Aww I’m glad you like [name]Phoebe[/name] and [name]Claudie[/name] together, I worry they’re too matchy matchy. And I’m secretly happy that someone likes [name]Margot[/name] [name]Morgan[/name], cos I just love that name SO much, but I still think it’s too much of a mouthful and I think people would think I was crazy if I used it :frowning: lol[/quote]

No way. [name]LOVE[/name] it! Wouldn’t you like to introduce yourself as [name]Margot[/name] [name]Morgan[/name]? Sounds like a famous journalist or something.

a

[name]Hi[/name] Ljandrl,

Yes, I was actually doing some volunteer work overseas for most of [name]July[/name], so no internet connection. It was great to get back and catch up with everyone at Nameberry!

Of course, it’s so important that you both love any further names just as much as [name]Claudie[/name] and [name]Phoebe[/name]/[name]Penelope[/name]. I really love [name]Rosalia[/name] for a third daughter for you, too! Perhaps finding the perfect combination for some of the other names will help cement them in your heart - I often find it’s a whole combination which gives me that ‘perfect name feeling’, whereas a name on it’s own might be a love, but not give the feeling. Am I even making sense?

Unfortunately, I do think the shared -lia ending with [name]Rosalia[/name] would mean only one of [name]Rosalia[/name] or [name]Dahlia[/name] could be used, plus they both have a floral feel.

[name]Lilith[/name] - I suppose for a nickname other than [name]Lil[/name]/[name]Lily[/name] you could do Lithy? Well, this seems to be the only one of the double-L names (most of which I adore, it’s such a pity) that isn’t getting increasingly popular. I think it might work well with a non-[name]Lily[/name] nickname (especially as you’d already have a flower name with [name]Rosalia[/name]), whatever that might be, or perhaps no nickname at all, as it would be familiar sound-wise, but not popular in itself.

[name]Zaria[/name] - I love this one! Were you at one stage considering [name]Zadie[/name], too? Unfortunately, it does sound very similar to [name]Rosalia[/name]. Hmm, [name]Rosalia[/name] is causing problems! I don’t suppose you like any other [name]Rose[/name]- names as an alternative; [name]Rosetta[/name], perhaps? [name]Rosetta[/name] would definitely allow for both [name]Dahlia[/name] and [name]Zaria[/name] to be used.

[name]Lydia[/name] is beautiful! It sounded to me when you last mentioned the name as though you didn’t quite love it, but the family connection would make it a great choice in the middle if that is the case. I love the way it flows off the tongue. [name]Lydia[/name] is at #88 in the UK, with 660 born in 2008. I think it must be rising, as I’ve only known one [name]Lydia[/name] myself, so it probably is one to watch out for.

[name]Blythe[/name] - I love [name]Blythe[/name]. I like the idea of it as a first, for other people’s daughters, but for myself (and you, as it is somewhat different from your other choices) I love it as a middle name. The calm feeling makes it a complete winner for me. [name]How[/name] are you feeling about it now?

[name]Romy[/name] - [name]Romy[/name] could definitely be a nn for [name]Rosamund[/name]. I was thinking about this the other day, actually, and [name]Andromeda[/name] came to me, too. I’ve seen Rosamel on here, as well. I’ve never seen it elsewhere so I can’t tell you whether it is a ‘real’ name or not, however it follows the pattern of creation that many [name]Ros[/name]- names created centuries ago have taken; [name]Rose[/name]/a plus another name or part of another name, or a common ending ([name]Rosetta[/name], [name]Rosalia[/name]), in this case [name]Melissa[/name]/[name]Melanie[/name]. Same as [name]Rosanna[/name], Rosabel et cetera. Rosamia would follow the same pattern of creation, too, and easily allow [name]Romy[/name]. I don’t normally advocate inventing names, and you might not feel comfortable with it, but in this case I feel like the name created isn’t silly or bizarre, it’s just as much of a real name with meaning as other [name]Rose[/name]- compound names.

Other Rom- names I found were [name]Romola[/name], [name]Romona[/name], [name]Romilda[/name] and [name]Romane[/name].

My favourite of the ones you’ve considered is [name]Romilly[/name]. I think it is incredibly glamourous and feminine, but also has strength and spunk. It’s unusual, but easy to pronounce on sight, too. I love [name]Romilly[/name]!

And just for the record, I love [name]Rosanna[/name]!

You’re so welcome! I really enjoy looking at your names, especially as you seem to love a lot of names which I like a lot but won’t use for whatever reason, and I love to see them being considered.

[name]Auburn[/name]

a

a

I know what you mean about [name]Rosalia[/name]; I don”t find it with [name]Rosalia[/name], but I have exactly the same thing with [name]Thalia[/name] - I know she”s from Greek mythology, I know it”s an ancient name, but still it feels trendy to me.

Well, I can see why you might assume [name]Rosamund[/name] was pronounced with the [name]Rose[/name] sound, and I don”t know, it might be accepted maybe in parts of the US, Australia, or other English-speaking countries, but I”ve never come across it. My gut feeling says it at least isn”t traditional, as [name]Rosamund[/name] actually has nothing to do with roses, meaning-wise. Sorry!

A work in progress is good - I think even having both [name]Phoebe[/name] and [name]Penelope[/name], or whichever two other names, on your list right up until meeting your daughter would be fine, and then to go with whichever feels right for her.

Such a pity about [name]Lilith[/name] ” but I agree, there are quite enough Lilys here. And [name]Lily[/name] Mays. And [name]Evie[/name] Lilys. Sigh.

Oh, I can”t wait for the new statistics! 2008 seems so long ago to be the latest statistics we have, haha.

I love [name]Lydia[/name], [name]Blythe[/name] in the middle, [name]Annia[/name], [name]Lelia[/name] and [name]Nona[/name] - all of them! Actually, all of the No_a names are favourites of mine, [name]Nona[/name], [name]Nova[/name], [name]Nola[/name], [name]Nora[/name] ”

[name]Marlow[/name] - I adore names ending in the O sound, and [name]Margot[/name] is brilliant, but if I am brutally honest I don”t think [name]Marlow[/name] has the same elegance or history that [name]Margot[/name] has, and doesn”t sound good enough with [name]Morgan[/name] to cover the overlap. That said, a large part of the reason I find [name]Marlow[/name] a strange name may be that I have lived near a place called [name]Marlow[/name]. The hamster, I think, could be forgotten, though : )

[name]Una[/name]/[name]Oona[/name] - I love, love, love [name]Oona[/name]. Actually, I had the same trouble as you and there should be a thread about it on the Talk About Names board if you do a search - Names to give the nn [name]Oona[/name] is probably the title. I got some great suggestions, although none of them quite clicked with me, personally, and I semi-begrudgingly turned my affections to [name]Luna[/name].

[name]Sanaa[/name] - this is a totally new one to me! Is it san-ar, AR being the long aaa sound?

[name]Delilah[/name] - I have no idea of the popularity of this one in the UK, actually, but that double L is a favourite so it may well be rising. I think this one is utterly beautiful, although I myself can never quite get past the negative associations.

Such a pity about some of the names he”s said no to! I love so many, [name]Silvia[/name], [name]Nola[/name], [name]Wren[/name], [name]Elodie[/name], [name]Ailsa[/name], [name]Marta[/name] ” But a canine [name]Margot[/name] will be adorable!

And I had a wonderful time, thank you. If you”re interested I can always let you have the details of the children”s charity I was working for.

[name]Auburn[/name]

a

[name]Hi[/name] again [name]Auburn[/name],

We’ve probably discussed most of the names on my long list have at some point but there are a few new ones too. I don’t necessarily “love” them all but they’re “interesting” or I think they may grow on me or something about them makes me want to keep them on a list for now at least!:

[name]Alessia[/name] - 54
[name]Ariane[/name] - 15
[name]Aviana[/name] - 0
[name]Bellamy[/name] - 0
[name]Cyra[/name] - 3 (probably too many pronounciation issues probably, and too similar to [name]Keira[/name])
[name]Dana[/name] - 47 (it sounds dated to me but for some reason I like it. I don’t love it though)
[name]Elsa[/name] - 139
[name]Everly[/name] - 0 (so not my usual style but there’s something pretty about it)
[name]Gia[/name] - 25 (would get lost among the [name]Tia[/name], [name]Mia[/name]'s, [name]Lia[/name]'s etc)
[name]Isaline[/name] - 0 (not sure I’m pronouncing it right - I say IZ-uh-leen, but is it IZ-uh-line?)
[name]Ishana[/name] - 0
[name]Jessamine[/name] - 0
[name]Mattea[/name] - 6 (maybe a bit too masculine sounding for me)
[name]Mireille[/name] - 0
[name]Mireya[/name] - 0 (I think I prefer this Spanish version to the French, though the French [name]Mireille[/name] looks pretty)
[name]Neva[/name] - 6 (likely to be confused with [name]Niamh[/name]? Or pronounced Never?)
[name]Reva[/name] - 4
[name]Rhea[/name]/[name]Raya[/name] - 101/45
[name]Rialta[/name] - 0
[name]Sania[/name] - 35
[name]Santina[/name] - 0
[name]Tana[/name] - 7

Obviously some of these are very similar, hence my post about [name]Adele[/name], [name]Adelaide[/name] etc!

Thanks again :slight_smile:

I love the names on your list!
I have a [name]Nell[/name] and [name]Claudie[/name] is on my (currently hazy) list for my little bean due in [name]Spring[/name]!
Yes I think [name]Phoebe[/name] and [name]Penelope[/name] are too close, and in a choice between the two I think [name]Penelope[/name] wins all out.
Although I do like both…
My reasons:
1- More unusual
2- More nicknames!
3- It has a more graceful lilt, whereas [name]Phoebe[/name] in some accents [name]Phoebe[/name] can sound like ‘beepbeeep’
(Hahaha)

Skimming through the other posts, a lot of your names are similar to my taste in fact!
I am in love with the name [name]Romilly[/name] also! [name]Romy[/name] seems to be becoming popular and i am dreading the numbers creeping up. Fingers crossed it never happens.

XXX