Can you name a boy Teddy ?

Or would it be more sensible to name a boy [name]Theodore[/name] ?

I prefer going with [name]Theodore[/name] or [name]Edward[/name] and using the nn [name]Teddy[/name]. Think of a grown man trying to taken seriously as a banker, solicitor, etc.

[name]Teddy[/name] can be a variation of [name]Edmund[/name], [name]Ted[/name], [name]Theobald[/name], [name]Theodore[/name], [name]Theo[/name] (my favourite) or [name]Edward[/name] - I’d put one of those on the birth certificate.

I love [name]Theodore[/name] (but DH vetoed, unfortunately). I think it lends itself to all kinds of nicknames and will give him so much flexibility. He can be [name]Teddy[/name] when he’s little, and then decide as he grows up if he’s more of a [name]Ted[/name], [name]Theo[/name], [name]Ed[/name], or perhaps even [name]Teddy[/name] still? I think [name]Teddy[/name] by itself while expose him to teasing in school.

You can name a boy a [name]Teddy[/name], but when he grows up he probably won’t appreciate it…

I heavily dislike [name]Teddy[/name]. Nobody would employ a [name]Teddy[/name]! He’d be a laughing stock in his teens not to mention ridiculed if he ever wanted to go into a professional career like being a lawyer or a doctor. [name]Theodore[/name] and [name]Edward[/name] would be much better… Though I’d prefer [name]Theo[/name] and [name]Ed[/name].

It’s not ideal but I don’t think it’s that bad. I prefer it as a nickname for [name]Theodore[/name].

All of this. I have a friend named [name]Theodore[/name] who went by [name]Teddy[/name] when he was younger but now prefers just [name]Ted[/name], or [name]Theodore[/name].

Luluboo

I just wanted to say we have very similar tastes in names! I have a [name]Milo[/name] and my list this time includes [name]Hattie[/name], [name]Finn[/name] and [name]Lucas[/name]!

I was looking up [name]Teddy[/name] b/c it was my fathers childhood nickname (his middlename is [name]Theodore[/name]) but he really disliked it as a name. I would go with [name]Theodore[/name] and use it as a nickname instead of a primary…

There was a boy in the year below me at school who was [name]Teddy[/name] - no longer name on BC, that was it. He went by [name]Ted[/name] when he got later up the school.

Personally I’d go with [name]Theodore[/name] or [name]Edward[/name] nn [name]Teddy[/name] but just to say I’ve seen it done and I don’t think he got mentally scarred by it at all - he was a pretty popular kid from what I remember. I wouldn’t say a [name]Teddy[/name] would have it too rough - he could go by [name]Ted[/name] easily as an adult.

I’m not a fan of nicknames as first names like [name]Evie[/name] and [name]Archie[/name] and I honestly think [name]Theodore[/name] with the nickname [name]Teddy[/name] would be lovely.

I know someone called [name]Teddy[/name] but I prefer it as a nn.