Can you steal a Top 100 name?

@futuremama, YES! I’m surprised at how often KIDS like sharing names. [name_m]Even[/name_m] when parents would prefer that it not happen!

1 Like

I really appreciate you saying this, @anon40684139. I think the question in this post is tricky because they’re not really close enough friends for her to ask, but she doesn’t want to upset her friend, either.

I also think that if your close family use the same name as you it is more on the name theft side than in a friend group. Like if your sister had an [name_f]Ava[/name_f] and you named your daughter [name_f]Ava[/name_f] it would feel more like “stealing”

My stance is, if you have to ask whether or not it’s name theft then it probably is. I think it’s also a sign that if she already knows 2 [name_u]Ezra[/name_u]’s then it is bound to be popular in her area. Either way, he’ll probably end up being called ‘E’ at home so might as well go with [name_m]Ephraim[/name_m]!

I think I agree for the most part, unless it’s a good friend or close relative that you’ve heard say it’s their favorite name for years- names that are super popular/common/mainstream, really can’t be stolen.

Of course (again outside of the very specific context where you know someone close to you wants to use it already) I don’t really believe anyone has a claim to a name.

There are billions of people on this planet, no matter how unique you think a name is there’s a good chance there’s someone else out there walking around with that name and I don’t think you can dictate what a stranger or someone in your extended social circle chooses to name their child.

I think if it’s a popular name and an acquaintance used it, I think it’s fine to use. If a close friend or family member used it, it would still be weird to use it

I’m not sure it even matters if its in the top 100 or top 1000 or whatever! A name can’t be “taken” or “stolen.” I grew up as one of many Katies and I never felt like I was the one true [name_f]Katie[/name_f] or that I was a [name_f]Katie[/name_f] imposter. No parents of other Katies ever became weepy upon hearing my name… that I noticed anyway :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2 Likes

Definitely stealing a name, even if the name were [name_m]John[/name_m]. The best thing you can do is ask your friends who have Ezras if they would mind. They most probably will say no, but if you don’t ask and just announce your [name_u]Ezra[/name_u], I have observed heard mention of so many hurt feelings and resentments from neighbors, acquaintances and myself and even strangers who happened to chat with me, by people who named a baby without asking first if they would mind.
You might disagree with these people but they feel this way just the same.

I feel like they would secretly be upset or bothered by it, even if you asked and they said it was fine. I think what someone else said about ‘if you’re asking whether it’s name theft then it probably is’ is a good way to look at it. Unless you mention it to them beforehand you’re still going to announce it on social media/ run into them somewhere and have to awkwardly explain it. But that’s just my two cents. I agree with others that you might be set on the name now, but over time be more bothered by others you know having it…it might lose its lustre.

I think it would depend on why your little brother wants to name his daughter Elizabeth.

Like if your mom or family member is named Elizabeth, then I would say Elizabeth is up for grabs, after all your little brother may never have daughter or his partner may hate the name, so if you feel a connection to it I think it’s fair to use.

Unless there is a uniquely personal reason for wanting the name I think common names are up for grabs.

1 Like

Oh, I have recently thought about this as most of my friends who I asked said that they would like to name their daughter [name_f]Anna[/name_f] which has been my frontrunner for ages. It might be a little bit distracting but I realise that [name_f]Anna[/name_f] hasn’t left top 10 in our country for ages. It is just popular, beautiful and classy. However, personally I don’t see it as a big problem. Unless your child is named X-Ash-A-12, they have a chance to meet a namesake in one situation or another

1 Like