Cannot decide on a first name…please help!

[name_f]My[/name_f] husband and I have been through a long fertility journey and I’m finally pregnant with a baby girl arriving in [name_u]July[/name_u]!

We have very different tastes in names (I like girly, whimsical names and he is more traditional). After lots of vetoes and discussions, we are down to these options. We have middle name options, so just want more input on a first name that isn’t too trendy and gives classic but girly and fun vibes too. Help us decide!

[name_f]Daisy[/name_f]
[name_f]Sadie[/name_f]
[name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] (nn Charlie) Hesitant on this because of popularity and it’s my best friends daughters name
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f] (I would call her [name_f]Lulu[/name_f] as well)
[name_f]Olive[/name_f] (I would call her [name_u]Ollie[/name_u] as well)
[name_f]Penelope[/name_f] (nn Poppy)
[name_f]Emmie[/name_f] (but unfortunately don’t like any of the full names)

Thank you so much!!!

7 Likes

[name_f]Olive[/name_f] gets my vote for sure.

It’s one of my favourite names and I feel it fits the vibe you’re going for to a T! I considered [name_f]Olive[/name_f] for my daughter and also planned to use Ollie/Oli as a nickname. So cute!

[name_f]My[/name_f] second choice would be [name_f]Daisy[/name_f].

[name_f]My[/name_f] personal favorite is [name_f]Lucy[/name_f]! It’s so pretty, has a great meaning, and to me, it’s one of the sweetest names out there. It also strikes me as perpetually youthful, while still working on an adult. (Some of this impression is probably due to [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] Pevensie!) [name_f]My[/name_f] second favorite is sweet, spunky [name_f]Sadie[/name_f]. Charlotte/Charlie is nice, but if you and your friend see each other a lot, I probably wouldn’t do it. Have you considered M.E. initials for [name_f]Emmie[/name_f]? Maybe this could be a way to compromise with your husband’s more traditional taste. [name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f], [name_f]Molly[/name_f] [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f], [name_f]Margaret[/name_f] [name_f]Estelle[/name_f]?

1 Like

[name_f]Daisy[/name_f] and [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] are adorable :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

[name_f]Lucy[/name_f] “Lulu”, [name_f]Penelope[/name_f] and [name_f]Olive[/name_f] are wonderful!! I feel like they meet both styles :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think [name_f]Olive[/name_f] and [name_f]Penelope[/name_f] both perfectly fit the vibe you’re describing! And [name_u]Ollie[/name_u] and [name_f]Poppy[/name_f] are both such cute nicknames

Congratulations :heart:
I second the idea of initials M.E. to get to nickname [name_f]Emmie[/name_f]! I love [name_f]Emmie[/name_f] but understand why you and your husband might want a more traditional name with a nickname. I also adore [name_f]Olive[/name_f] nn [name_u]Ollie[/name_u] as well as the nickname [name_f]Poppy[/name_f] with [name_f]Penelope[/name_f]!

[name_f]My[/name_f] vote is for [name_f]Lucy[/name_f]! I really like the name, plus I feel like it fits what you’re after. [name_f]My[/name_f] second choice would be [name_f]Olive[/name_f].
Congratulations!

[name_f]My[/name_f] favorites are [name_f]Sadie[/name_f], [name_f]Lucy[/name_f], and [name_f]Olive[/name_f]! I definitely don’t think you should use [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] if you and your friend are close (which I’m assuming you are since you said “best friend”)

The only name on your list that is not my personal style is [name_f]Olive[/name_f].

I really like/love all the other names and couldn’t possibly say which would be my favourite.

However for you (and the fact you mention your fertility journey) I really like the names [name_f]Sadie[/name_f] and [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] for their meanings.
[name_f]Sadie[/name_f]- meaning [name_f]Princess[/name_f], you finally get your [name_f]Princess[/name_f] after your journey.
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f]- meaning [name_u]Light[/name_u], the light and the endof your fertility journey.

1. [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] – [name_f]Lovely[/name_f]! [name_f]My[/name_f] favorite from your list. Traditional and also girly/fun.
  2. [name_f]Daisy[/name_f] – Such a cute name. It definitely feels like it fits your criteria the best – traditional while also being whimsical and fun.
  3. [name_f]Sadie[/name_f] – A very nice name, definitely has style but it’s familiar.

Congratulations!

1 Like

[name_f]Olive[/name_f] has my vote!

[name_f]Daisy[/name_f], [name_f]Sadie[/name_f], & [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] are my favorites.

[name_f]My[/name_f] favorites are [name_f]Penelope[/name_f] and [name_f]Lucy[/name_f]! But be wary though, they both sit above #50 on the name charts! You can do these, but here are some more ideas in case you want something a little less common:

-Jane (traditional and girly, hubs would probably like it) or -June (more your taste, more unique than [name_f]Jane[/name_f] but a lot trendier, if you want your girl to have an uncommon name I would probably go with [name_f]Jane[/name_f] (currently sits at #275)

-Molly (very similar to [name_f]Lucy[/name_f], and a little bit less common then [name_f]Lucy[/name_f], sits at #175 whereas [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] sits at #49)

-Poppy (could use this as a first name and not as a nn for [name_f]Penelope[/name_f], a little less common than [name_f]Penelope[/name_f] but still really similar)

Congrats, and good luck :slight_smile:

1 Like

Such a cute list of options! I think [name_f]Daisy[/name_f] and [name_f]Sadie[/name_f] are whimsical, classic, and fun. Those are my two favorites. [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] and [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] are so popular where I am, especially [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] with the nn [name_u]Charlie[/name_u], since the boy Charlies exponentially increase how often it’s heard.
[name_f]Olive[/name_f] and [name_f]Penelope[/name_f] are both cute but feel less classic and more trendy to me.

Other ideas:
[name_f]Pippa[/name_f]
[name_f]Emmeline[/name_f] nn [name_f]Emmie[/name_f] (most likely you’ve heard it already but I’m a fan so I had to suggest it!)
[name_f]Rosalie[/name_f] nn [name_f]Rosie[/name_f]
[name_f]Henrietta[/name_f] or [name_f]Harriet[/name_f] nn [name_f]Hattie[/name_f]

I like all the names except [name_f]Olive[/name_f].
In order of preference I like:
[name_f]Daisy[/name_f]
[name_f]Sadie[/name_f]
[name_f]Emmie[/name_f]
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f]
[name_f]Charlotte[/name_f], nicknamed [name_f]Lollie[/name_f]
[name_f]Penelope[/name_f]

If you want to go with [name_f]Emmie[/name_f] you could also do a more formal name with the initials EM. This initials spell the sound M, thus [name_f]Emmie[/name_f] as a nickname. Perhaps, something like….
[name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] [name_f]Merrin[/name_f] or [name_u]Merrill[/name_u] or [name_u]Merritt[/name_u] or [name_f]Mae[/name_f]
[name_f]Elaine[/name_f] [name_u]Meredith[/name_u]
[name_f]Elise[/name_f] [name_f]Marcella[/name_f]

I’ve also heard of the nickname [name_f]Lollie[/name_f], not [name_f]Lottie[/name_f], for [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f], which I prefer over [name_u]Charlie[/name_u]

[name_f]My[/name_f] favourite is [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] (it’s one of my girls’ middle names). It’s both sweet and serious, as a full formal name that sounds like a nickname. It’s popular, but I wouldn’t say it’s trendy as it has already stood the test of time.

[name_f]My[/name_f] second choice would be [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f], which I love, but if I were you I’d strike it off the list for the reasons you listed.

I would choose Daisy, Sadie or Lucy for you from your list. I know it’s not on there but i would also suggest Rosie!

I love Penelope but not a fan of the nn Poppy, I much prefer Penny. But all of these names would be a good shout. Many congratulations for you and your husband! :relaxed:

I would go with [name_f]Lucy[/name_f]!

[name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] sounded great for you, but I wouldn’t use the same name as my best friend’s daughter—I was trying to think of alternatives and wondered if you’d considered [name_f]Scarlett[/name_f] (nn Lettie)? But it sounds like you probably have, and you have some great names already to pick from!

Congratulations :tada:

[name_f]Daisy[/name_f] ~ a sweet botanical name that definitely fits your whimsical flair but feels like a good compromise as she’s fairly traditional.

[name_f]Sadie[/name_f] ~ a lovely vintage choice she’s upbeat and fun I also love that she means princess

[name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] ~ very regal, classic and pretty however I think the fact that your best friend has used this name rules her out.

[name_f]Lucy[/name_f] ~ personally never been a fan reminds me of the word loose

[name_f]Olive[/name_f] ~ love love love [name_f]Olive[/name_f] she’s fun quirky and feels vibrant (way prefer her to Olivia) I really like [name_f]Olive[/name_f] feels like a great compromise between your styles

[name_f]Penelope[/name_f] ~ love love love Penelope!! She’s elegant, pretty and has sweet mythological history. [name_f]Penelope[/name_f] had a range of beautiful nicknames and is timeless.

[name_f]Emmie[/name_f] ~ a sweet nickname choice but I think from your commentary you may find the fact that she’s just [name_f]Emmie[/name_f] maybe a bit insufficient.

From your list my favourites are [name_f]Daisy[/name_f], [name_f]Olive[/name_f] & [name_f]Penelope[/name_f] I think for you I would choose [name_f]Penelope[/name_f]!

[name_f]Penelope[/name_f] has that traditional classic feel which your partner likes and feels very timeless with a long history behind her. But she also has that whimsical prettiness with a range of sweet nicknames I think also the meaning ‘weaver’ for me just adds to the dreamy feel.

[name_f]Hope[/name_f] this helps