Can't agree on a first name for our son!

[name]Hi[/name] Everyone!

My husband and I are having a baby boy in about a month, and would really appreciate some input on first names. We both have a list of favorites, but unfortunately have not been able to agree upon one name that we both love (well, actually we both like and agreed upon [name]Caiden[/name], but are afraid it is too similar to the uber-popular [name]Aiden[/name]). We are not looking for a name that “matches” a particular middle name, nor one that matches our last name, which starts with an ‘S’ (although we have eliminated first names that begin with the letter ‘B’ for obvious reasons). We’d love to hear your favorites from our lists, or any new suggestions you may have! Our ideal name would be unique, but also familiar enough that our son won’t have to deal with spelling/pronunciation issues his entire life!

His favorites:
[name]Dorian[/name]
[name]Saul[/name]
[name]Lincoln[/name]

My favorites:
[name]Cole[/name]
[name]Luca[/name]
[name]Sawyer[/name]

His favorites:
[name]Dorian[/name] - love
[name]Saul[/name] - love
[name]Lincoln[/name] - like, more trendy

My favorites:
[name]Cole[/name] - love
[name]Luca[/name] - love
[name]Sawyer[/name] - like, more trendy

Are you okay with using 2 S’s? Since your last name starts with that letter. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn’t.
If you’re okay with S’s, what about [name]Solomon[/name] or [name]Samson[/name]? kind of a middle ground between [name]Saul[/name] and [name]Sawyer[/name].

[name]Dorian[/name] [name]Cole[/name] would be a super cool name!

[name]Calvin[/name]? link between [name]Cole[/name] and [name]Dorian[/name]. [name]Calvin[/name] [name]Sawyer[/name] is nice.

[name]Dorian[/name]-- sleek, handsome, refined. It was invented by [name]Oscar[/name] Wilde but refers to Ancient Greece via the [name]Dorian[/name] mode in music, [name]Doric[/name] columns, etc. It will blend in with all the -an names (like [name]Aiden[/name] and [name]Caiden[/name]) but stand out.

[name]Saul[/name]-- hard-core biblical name. [name]Saul[/name] is Jewish, [name]Paul[/name] is [name]Christian[/name] after the conversion of the eponymous man. I think it has a harsh sound, especially as compared to smooth [name]Dorian[/name] or [name]Lincoln[/name].

[name]Lincoln[/name]-- interesting and unobjectionable. It’s getting more airplay after the film, but it’s hardly trendy. It’s recognizable and relatively tease-proof, as the namesake was such a great guy.

[name]Cole[/name]-- simple, familiar but not common. It’s a diminutive of [name]Nicholas[/name] but stands well on its own.

[name]Luca[/name]-- Italian boys’ name, which is familiar on nameberry but not so much out in the real world. Most names ending with -a are girls’ names, and [name]Lucy[/name] is infinitely more popular than male [name]Lucian[/name], so it might be frequently mistaken (in the US) for a girls’ name.

[name]Sawyer[/name]-- uber-trendy after the LOST character. It means a guy who works in a sawmill. I don’t see the appeal.

My rankings:

[name]Dorian[/name]
[name]Cole[/name]
[name]Lincoln[/name]

would not use [name]Saul[/name], [name]Luca[/name] or [name]Sawyer[/name]

[name]Dorian[/name] - NMS
[name]Saul[/name] - [name]Love[/name] it, every [name]Saul[/name] I have ever known has been an awesome guy!
[name]Lincoln[/name] - Strong name
[name]Cole[/name] - I really like [name]Cole[/name]
[name]Luca[/name] - My favorite on your list
[name]Sawyer[/name] - [name]Adore[/name]

[name]Cole[/name] and [name]Sawyer[/name] are my favs from your list!

[name]Lincoln[/name], [name]Cole[/name] and [name]Sawyer[/name] are my favorites from your list :slight_smile:

I’m amazed by your husbands’ taste in names, very chic and stylish. [name]Dorian[/name] is a great name and I support it fully. What about [name]Collin[/name] or [name]Colin[/name]? It’s got the hip -n ending and looks like [name]Cole[/name] but is very distinguished.

You both have great lists!

[name]Dorian[/name] gets my vote, followed closely by [name]Sawyer[/name]. [name]Luca[/name] is posh and cool. [name]Cole[/name] is undeniably handsome. [name]Lincoln[/name] is up and coming. [name]Linc[/name] makes it crisp. [name]Saul[/name] is not a favorite but I don’t hate it. I could totally go for [name]Dorian[/name] [name]Cole[/name] or [name]Cole[/name] [name]Dorian[/name]. Ditto [name]Cole[/name] with [name]Sawyer[/name].

Seems like [name]Porter[/name], [name]Parker[/name], [name]Collin[/name], [name]Sullivan[/name], [name]Turner[/name], [name]Spencer[/name], [name]Damen[/name], [name]Tristan[/name], or [name]Trevor[/name] might do it for both of you. Good luck!

[name]Dorian[/name]: classic literary association
[name]Saul[/name]: almost an anagram of [name]Luca[/name]
[name]Lincoln[/name]: reminds me of President, surname trend

[name]Cole[/name]: sounds like coal, my favorite from your list
[name]Luca[/name]; reminds me Beluga whale, anyway,… trendy
[name]Sawyer[/name]: trendy, may turn into girls name a la [name]Madison[/name]

[name]Collin[/name]: [name]Cole[/name] + [name]Dorian[/name]
[name]Lucian[/name]: [name]Luca[/name] + [name]Dorian[/name]
[name]Lincoln[/name]: [name]Luca[/name]+[name]Cole[/name]
Theodorian (my DHs name): [name]Theo[/name] + [name]Dorian[/name]

Prefer [name]Dorian[/name] from his list and [name]Cole[/name] from yours. [name]Cole[/name] [name]Dorian[/name] or [name]Dorian[/name] [name]Cole[/name].

It seems like the names are very close. You guys like similar sounds. He sticks to the more classic names, whereas your style seems more trendy.

[name]Blade[/name],
Unfortunately you’re right about [name]Luca[/name] - most people I’ve asked think it’s a girls’ name. Thanks for your input!

I prefer [name]Lincoln[/name] to the rest.

I agree with [name]Blade[/name]'s assessment about [name]Luca[/name]. [name]Sawyer[/name] is also a great name, but, interestingly, I think it’s rapidly becoming a unisex or girl’s name as well.

I think you can get away with [name]Saul[/name], although the biblical connotations of [name]King[/name] [name]Saul[/name] are not completely positive. It would be perfectly fine as a middle name.

I’d also suggest some similar names

[name]Cillian[/name]/[name]Killian[/name]
[name]Caleb[/name] ([name]Cale[/name] for short)
[name]Seth[/name]

What about [name]Caedmon[/name]?