Can't decide....help please

So I thought that we were all set on a name for DS, but the a couple of days ago, DH threw out another name that he had been thinking about while we were in the [name]Wendy[/name]'s drive thru. Now we’re torn because we both really like both names. Our original name is [name]Micah[/name] and the new name is [name]Matthias[/name]. Which one is better?

Which one goes better with your last name?

I like them both.

[name]Matthias[/name]

It could depend on last name, middle, names of other kids or other names you would like to use, and your own style.

Without any context – [name]Matthias[/name]. But they are both nice.

I like [name]Matthias[/name] better. But do you already have a daughter [name]Maddie[/name]? What if people decide to shorten it to [name]Matt[/name] or [name]Matty[/name], whether you want them to or not? [name]Maddie[/name] and [name]Matthias[/name] are kinda close.

I have to put in a vote for [name]Micah[/name]! It’s such a nice name :slight_smile:

Also, [name]Matthias[/name] makes me hesitate to say it out loud, I’m not entirely confident in the pronunciation.

I probably should have given more info. We have a 2 yr old daughter named [name]Madelaine[/name] [name]Amelia[/name], and despite my screen name, we never call her [name]Maddie[/name]. DH is a stickler for calling people by their full given name and hates nicknames unless they have nothing to do with names. For instance DD is either [name]Madelaine[/name] or Monkey. Our last name is Hispanic, starts with a D and is two syllables. If we go with [name]Micah[/name], his full name will be [name]Micah[/name] [name]Osvaldo[/name] D. But we aren’t sure on the middle name if we go with [name]Matthias[/name].

[name]Hope[/name] this helps get a few more opinions. Thanks for those that have already been given :slight_smile:

I like [name]Micah[/name] much more. It already had my vote, but I think it goes much better with your daughter’s name, as well.

Chances are even if you don’t call your children by a nickname, their friends and classmates will (we have no control over this). At school they could be known by their friends as [name]Maddie[/name] and [name]Matt[/name] or [name]Matty[/name]…something to consider.

hmmm this is a toughy!

I much prefer the name [name]Matthias[/name] to [name]Micah[/name]. When i picture a boy named [name]Micah[/name], i picture a precocious little boy, always getting into trouble, found sitting in the principals office more often then not and just trouble all around. However, [name]Matthias[/name] is a much easier little boy to get along with. He is everybodies friend,and shy yet outgoing once he warms up to you. So i would definitely name my son [name]Matthias[/name] over [name]Micah[/name]. However, having a daughter [name]Madelaine[/name] really throws it off. No matter what, once they become school aged, they are going to get a nick name. Hers will most likely be [name]Maddie[/name], and if you went with [name]Matthias[/name] it would be [name]Matt[/name]. [name]Maddie[/name] and [name]Mat[/name], not so good. Unless you can get people to use the nn “[name]Laine[/name]” for her, i would not use [name]Matthias[/name] as a sibling to [name]Madelaine[/name]. So i guess that leaves [name]Micah[/name]!
Here are some other names that remind me of [name]Matthias[/name] and [name]Micah[/name]:
[name]Malachi[/name]
[name]Mac[/name]
[name]Kai[/name]
[name]Major[/name]
[name]Marcus[/name]
[name]Viggo[/name]
[name]Mason[/name]
[name]Miller[/name]
[name]Monte[/name]
[name]Elias[/name]
[name]Tobias[/name]
Zacharius/[name]Zachariah[/name]
[name]Ezekiel[/name] nn [name]Zeke[/name]

[name]Hope[/name] this helps!

[name]Matthias[/name] is one of my favorite names, and I much prefer it to [name]Micah[/name]. I’m not sure about [name]Madelaine[/name] and [name]Matthias[/name], though. I wouldn’t do it. [name]How[/name] are you pronouncing [name]Matthias[/name]?

The one big difference I see between [name]Micah[/name] and [name]Matthias[/name] is that while still primarily a boys’ name [name]Micah[/name] is also commonly used as a girls’ name and has been for the past 30 years. I’m not saying that it shouldn’t be used on boys I just wanted to point out that difference between the two names that otherwise have a lot in common.

I have never ever heard of a female called [name]Micah[/name] and I have been alive more than 30 years. I definitely associate it with a boy and prefer it. I think it goes much better with your daughter’s name also. I think you should go with your original instincts, that’s why you picked the name in the first place. Good luck and let us know what you choose!
:smiley:

I prefer [name]Micah[/name] with [name]Madelaine[/name]. [name]Matthias[/name] is a great name but it is too similar to [name]Madelaine[/name] imo.