can't decide on a pronunciation!

So my husband and I are strongly considering using the name [name]Helena[/name] but can’t decide on the pronunciation. Our last name is [name]Nguyen[/name] pronounced like [name]Win[/name].

I thought the softer pronunciation of heh-leh-na sounded the best with our soft sounding last name but I’m worried it flows too well and just runs together.

The other pronunciation we like is Heh-[name]LANE[/name]-uh but I am not quite as fond of the harsh “lane” sound in it, but I still love it.

So what do you guys think flows better with our last name?

[name]Hi[/name]! I love the name [name]Helena[/name]! Believe it or not, there is a third pronunciation: He-[name]LEE[/name]-na…which I love! :slight_smile: It would sound great with your ln. I also like He-[name]LAY[/name]-na.

I think the name sounds gorgeous with your last name no matter how it is pronounced! My favorite pronunciation is Heh-leh-na…I don’t think it negatively runs together with your last name at all (it flows, but in a good way!)

I prefer He-leh-na. But I think most people will initially say He-lay-na.

I normally prefer heh-LEH-nuh, but with your last name I like heh-[name]LAY[/name]-nuh better. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the responses!

Looks like it is pretty evenly split! does anyone else have an opinion? I guess I probably should have made a poll… but even just a one word response is helpful :slight_smile:

I like the [name]LAY[/name]-na pronunciation best, especially with your last name, but it’s bound to have pronunciation problems.

I only say [name]Helena[/name] as [name]Helen[/name] with an “a,” or [HEH-leh-nah]. I think it is nice with [name]Nguyen[/name]. I’d use a tougher middle name, meaning one with lots of consonants, to balance it out - [name]Helena[/name] [name]Scarlett[/name] [name]Nguyen[/name] comes to mind…

[name]Lemon[/name] :slight_smile:

Okay, kidding about [name]Helena[/name] [name]Scarlett[/name] [name]Nguyen[/name]. [name]Just[/name] realized her initials would be HSN, Home Shopping Network. Oops! Um, [name]Helena[/name] [name]Violet[/name] [name]Nguyen[/name] or [name]Helena[/name] [name]Beatrice[/name] [name]Nguyen[/name] or [name]Helena[/name] [name]Hermione[/name] [name]Nguyen[/name] would do the trick, too, I think…

[name]Lemon[/name] :slight_smile:

I prefer [name]Helen[/name]-ah, and I think it sounds fine with your last name. I do like the idea of something a little stronger in the middle, but not [name]Scarlett[/name]! :slight_smile: What about [name]Helena[/name] [name]Coraline[/name] [name]Nguyen[/name] ?

Actually, there’s at least a fourth pronunciation. I’ve heard eh-lay-nuh.

I pronounce is He-lay-nuh. I’m not fond of the other pronounciations. With Hel-eh-nuh the “hel” beginning sticks out too much to me. It actually sounding harsher imo.

Thanks for the comments.

I have a close friend named [name]Helen[/name] so the [name]Helen[/name]-a pronunciation is too close to use.

@leah- I think we are pronouncing it differently. I think you are pronouncing it like HEL-eh-na where as I am pronouncing it heh-[name]LEN[/name]-ah because I agree with you that the emphasis on the first part sounds harsher.

I’m still mulling it over :slight_smile: What do you guys think of [name]Helena[/name] [name]Catherine[/name]?

[name]Helena[/name] [name]Catherine[/name] is lovely but if your last name is pronounced like “win” then the “rine” in [name]Catherine[/name] will rhyme with it :S Not ideal.

I say [name]Helena[/name] like he-[name]LANE[/name]-uh because the only [name]Helena[/name] I know says it that way so it’s natural to me. I think that’s probably my favourite pronounciation too, though he-[name]LEN[/name]-uh is a nice one too! I think both work with your last name just fine, so really it’s just a matter of picking your favourite :slight_smile:

Good luck!

Well, I was pronouncing He-leh-nuh as [name]Helen[/name]-a, as well. Honestly, I don’t hink He-LEH-na is a very natural pronunciation to the American tongue, plus it is rather singsongy with [name]Nguyen[/name]. Therefore, I would go with He-[name]Lay[/name]-na.

I love [name]Helena[/name] [name]Catherine[/name], or how about [name]Helena[/name] [name]Caroline[/name]?