Can't Finalize Name and Only 9 Weeks Left!

We are having a daughter in early [name_u]January[/name_u]. Her big sister is [name_f]Gemma[/name_f] [name_u]Gray[/name_u]. I am leaning towards naming her [name_f]Francesca[/name_f] [name_u]Morgan[/name_u] (the first name because our last name is Italian and the middle name because it’s my mother’s maiden name), but we just can’t seem to convince ourselves that we have the right name. We’d likely nickname her [name_u]Frankie[/name_u], but I’d want her to be comfortable using her full first name, too. With her big sister, we were totally sold on her first name way in advance, and I’d like to feel like that!

So here are some criteria and names we like. I’m hoping you can help me either feel good about where we’ve landed or come up with something new.

Criteria:

1. Sounds good with our last name which is a 3 syllable Italian name that begins with V and ends in I (I’m a little wary of names that end in i/y sound with our last name)
  2. Isn’t too common - in the top 20 or on the way to the top 20; same goes for names that are slight variations on common names (e.g., I love [name_f]Emilia[/name_f] but [name_f]Amelia[/name_f] is so common, and they sound the same)

Names we like but don’t want to use:
[name_f]Stella[/name_f] (our dog’s name)
[name_f]Georgia[/name_f] (too close to [name_f]Gemma[/name_f] and we live in [name_f]Georgia[/name_f])
[name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] (too common)
[name_f]Amelia[/name_f] or [name_f]Emilia[/name_f] (too common)
[name_f]Lena[/name_f] (weird family issue with the name)
[name_f]Olivia[/name_f] (way too popular)
[name_f]Lila[/name_f] (too popular and too similar to other popular names)

Names we’ve considered and I sort of like but can’t get excited about:
[name_f]Siena[/name_f]
[name_f]Luisa[/name_f] (with [name_f]Lulu[/name_f] as a nickname)
[name_f]Scarlett[/name_f]
[name_u]Eden[/name_u] (pretty on paper, but I don’t actually like saying it)

Any great ideas out there? Or am I crazy for not just being happy with [name_f]Francesca[/name_f]?

Thanks!

[name_f]Francesca[/name_f] [name_u]Morgan[/name_u] sounds quite perfect. [name_f]Scarlett[/name_f] [name_u]Morgan[/name_u] doesn’t seem to flow right. Same with [name_u]Eden[/name_u]. [name_f]Siena[/name_f] and [name_f]Luisa[/name_f] are also wonderful but I really think you got it right the first time with [name_f]Francesca[/name_f].

[name_f]Francesca[/name_f] is beautiful! But I understand the need to feel totally sold on the name you pick. Are you looking for something Italian in origin?

What about [name_f]Chiara[/name_f] (The Italian version of [name_f]Clara[/name_f]) or even just [name_f]Clara[/name_f]? Both would sound very nice with your older daughter’s name without being too similar.

There’s also [name_f]Lucia[/name_f], which would be lovely. It’s similar to [name_f]Luisa[/name_f], but has a different flavor.

If you’re looking for something less common, what about [name_f]Rosa[/name_f]? It is very underused in the US, but has a very simple, elegant beauty.

Hmm, I adore [name_f]Francesca[/name_f], but for some odd reason never came around to the nn [name_u]Frankie[/name_u]. Possibly because I have a male cousin by that name! Its cuter on a little girl though, I think. [name_m]Ive[/name_m] always liked the nn Cesca or [name_f]Chessie[/name_f].

Anyways other suggestions
[name_f]Gianna[/name_f]
[name_f]Gisella[/name_f]
[name_f]Giovanna[/name_f]
Lucianna
[name_f]Allegra[/name_f]

I don’t know many Italian names, I apologize if any of these aren’t. (I get [name_m]French[/name_m] names and Italian names mixed up.)

I’d do a search in the top right hand corner, and enter your criteria. You might find something you haven’t yet.

[name_u]Love[/name_u] [name_f]Francesca[/name_f]! [name_u]Frankie[/name_u] is also such a cute and fresh nickname for a little girl. One of my closest friends is [name_f]Francesca[/name_f] (nn Chessy) and it is so elegant and sophisticated. Other italian names I love are [name_f]Alessandra[/name_f], [name_f]Rosa[/name_f], [name_f]Chiara[/name_f], but love [name_f]Francesca[/name_f] a lot. Good luck :slight_smile:

[name_f]Francesca[/name_f] is gorgeous and perfect with [name_f]Gemma[/name_f]. Doubts are normal.

Congratulations, @lzuckerm!

Excited for you!

Gemm@ Gr@y {and} Fr@ncesc@ Morg@n would make a stunning pair.

Additional first-name-used-in-[name_f]Italy[/name_f] ideas:

[name_f]Gemma[/name_f] {and} [name_f]Aria[/name_f], [name_f]Bella[/name_f], [name_f]Bianca[/name_f], [name_f]Camilla[/name_f], [name_f]Cosima[/name_f], [name_f]Ginevra[/name_f], [name_f]Serafina[/name_f]

I really like [name_f]Francesca[/name_f], but I think it is overwhelming next to [name_f]Gemma[/name_f], Which I love! [name_m]How[/name_m] bout [name_f]Mira[/name_f], [name_f]Eve[/name_f], [name_f]Thea[/name_f], [name_f]Adela[/name_f], [name_f]Maeve[/name_f]

I too like [name_f]Francesca[/name_f] but totally love [name_f]Francie[/name_f] and/or [name_f]Francine[/name_f].

Some sib names that would go nice with [name_f]Gemma[/name_f] [name_u]Grey[/name_u]

[name_f]Mila[/name_f]
[name_f]Lydie[/name_f]
[name_f]Zara[/name_f]
[name_f]Dulce[/name_f]
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f]
[name_f]Selene[/name_f]
[name_f]Pearla[/name_f]
[name_u]Ruby[/name_u]
[name_f]Maura[/name_f]
[name_f]Isla[/name_f]
[name_f]Lily[/name_f]
[name_f]Charlize[/name_f]
[name_f]Lilou[/name_f]

[name_f]Francesca[/name_f] is my favorite of all the options presented.

I think [name_f]Francesca[/name_f] ‘[name_u]Frankie[/name_u]’ [name_u]Morgan[/name_u] is gorgeous and works really well with [name_f]Gemma[/name_f] [name_u]Gray[/name_u]. I hope you stick with it.

I love the name [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] from your list :slight_smile:

Hmm…

I love [name_f]Francesca[/name_f] [name_u]Morgan[/name_u], it’s elegant and has a really sophisticated sound. I think [name_f]Francesca[/name_f] [name_u]Morgan[/name_u] sounds great with [name_f]Gemma[/name_f] [name_u]Gray[/name_u]. I generally love this combination.

Other choices that you may like:
[name_f]Gabriella[/name_f] [name_u]Morgan[/name_u] ‘[name_f]Ella[/name_f]’
[name_f]Alessandra[/name_f] [name_u]Morgan[/name_u] ‘Lessy’
[name_f]Arabella[/name_f] [name_u]Morgan[/name_u] ‘[name_f]Bella[/name_f]’
[name_f]Camila[/name_f] [name_u]Morgan[/name_u] ‘[name_f]Cami[/name_f]’
[name_f]Constantina[/name_f] [name_u]Morgan[/name_u] ‘[name_u]Connie[/name_u]’
[name_f]Fabiana[/name_f] [name_u]Morgan[/name_u] ‘[name_m]Fabi[/name_m]’
[name_f]Fiammetta[/name_f] [name_u]Morgan[/name_u] ‘[name_f]Fia[/name_f]’
[name_f]Florentina[/name_f] [name_u]Morgan[/name_u] ‘[name_f]Flo[/name_f]’
[name_f]Lorenza[/name_f] [name_u]Morgan[/name_u] ‘[name_f]Lulu[/name_f]’
[name_f]Magdalena[/name_f] [name_u]Morgan[/name_u] ‘[name_f]Maggie[/name_f]’

: )

I love the name [name_f]Francesca[/name_f]. It’s pretty, Italian, under-used, and flows well with what your last name seems like. I also like the nickname [name_u]Frankie[/name_u], I think it’s very cute for a girl. I grew up with a lot of Italian friends, so here are some of the more unique names I liked in case you are still unsure:

[name_f]Christa[/name_f]
[name_f]Sabrina[/name_f]
[name_f]Lilliana[/name_f]
[name_f]Natalia[/name_f]
[name_f]Marina[/name_f]
[name_f]Annabella[/name_f]

Lol, I just realized they all end with an “a” but I think [name_u]Morgan[/name_u] grounds it from being too ethnic. [name_f]Hope[/name_f] this helps and doesn’t add more confusion! :wink:

I absolutely adore the name [name_f]Francesca[/name_f]. I also love how [name_u]Morgan[/name_u] has familial significance. It’s a perfect pair and works very well with [name_f]Gemma[/name_f] [name_u]Gray[/name_u]. I think [name_f]Francesca[/name_f] is sophisticated and beautiful and [name_u]Frankie[/name_u] makes it fun.

I think you’re just getting cold feet as it gets closer. It’s natural for most people. I had loved my daughter’s name for YEARS and when my husband finally got on board when I was about 7 months, I felt brief relief followed by constant doubt and kept obsessing over finding new names. We ended up going into the hospital with a top 3 and when she was born, I knew that name was right all along.

While I think [name_f]Francesca[/name_f] ‘[name_u]Frankie[/name_u]’ [name_u]Morgan[/name_u] is perfect, I do like the suggestions of [name_f]Chiara[/name_f], [name_f]Serafina[/name_f] and [name_f]Camila[/name_f]. I’d also suggest [name_f]Elena[/name_f] and [name_f]Elisa[/name_f]/[name_f]Eloisa[/name_f] (nn [name_u]Lou[/name_u] or [name_f]Lulu[/name_f] could work)?

I’m not the biggest fan of [name_f]Francesca[/name_f] with [name_f]Gemma[/name_f] to be honest. It’s pretty overwhelming. What about [name_f]Frances[/name_f]? [name_f]Frances[/name_f] [name_u]Morgan[/name_u] and [name_f]Gemma[/name_f] [name_u]Gray[/name_u] sounds nice to me!

If not that, an Italian named like

[name_f]Allegra[/name_f] [name_u]Morgan[/name_u]
[name_f]Chiara[/name_f] [name_u]Morgan[/name_u]
[name_f]Violetta[/name_f] [name_u]Morgan[/name_u]
[name_f]Viviana[/name_f] [name_u]Morgan[/name_u]

Or something else, like

[name_f]Adriana[/name_f] [name_u]Morgan[/name_u]
[name_f]Amara[/name_f] [name_u]Morgan[/name_u]
[name_f]Coralie[/name_f] [name_u]Morgan[/name_u]
[name_f]Elodie[/name_f] [name_u]Morgan[/name_u]
[name_f]Leonie[/name_f] [name_u]Morgan[/name_u]
[name_f]Lydia[/name_f] [name_u]Morgan[/name_u]

[name_f]Francesca[/name_f] is an o.k. name, but I don’t think it flows well with her big sister [name_f]Gemma[/name_f]. As one of the other berries said, [name_f]Francesca[/name_f] just seems so overwhelming next to [name_f]Gemma[/name_f].

Poking about a bit for Italian girl names that I think might flow better with [name_f]Gemma[/name_f] [name_u]Gray[/name_u], and also with the middle name of [name_u]Morgan[/name_u] that you’ve chosen…

[name_f]Aria[/name_f] [name_u]Morgan[/name_u] and [name_f]Gemma[/name_f] [name_u]Gray[/name_u]
[name_f]Elisa[/name_f] [name_u]Morgan[/name_u] and [name_f]Gemma[/name_f] [name_u]Gray[/name_u]
[name_f]Filomena[/name_f] [name_u]Morgan[/name_u] and [name_f]Gemma[/name_f] [name_u]Gray[/name_u]… two lovely saint names together!
[name_f]Gabriela[/name_f] [name_u]Morgan[/name_u] and [name_f]Gemma[/name_f] [name_u]Gray[/name_u]… [name_u]Gabby[/name_u] and [name_f]Gemmy[/name_f]!
[name_f]Luciana[/name_f] [name_u]Morgan[/name_u] and [name_f]Gemma[/name_f] [name_u]Gray[/name_u]
[name_f]Rosina[/name_f] [name_u]Morgan[/name_u] and [name_f]Gemma[/name_f] [name_u]Gray[/name_u]

Hmmm [name_f]Francesca[/name_f] is a lot of name and I dislike [name_u]Frankie[/name_u] on a girl.
If you don’t love it, keep looking.
Suggestions:
[name_f]Sylvia[/name_f]/[name_f]Silvia[/name_f], [name_f]Silva[/name_f], [name_f]Sylvana[/name_f]/[name_f]Silvana[/name_f], [name_f]Sylvie[/name_f]
[name_f]Teresa[/name_f], [name_f]Tessa[/name_f], [name_f]Tess[/name_f]
[name_f]Eva[/name_f], [name_f]Evalena[/name_f], [name_u]Evelyn[/name_u]
[name_f]Editta[/name_f], [name_f]Edie[/name_f]
[name_f]Caterina[/name_f]
[name_f]Lauretta[/name_f]
[name_f]Livia[/name_f] or [name_f]Oliva[/name_f] instead of [name_f]Olivia[/name_f]