Can't Use Both

Good evening, Berries!

[name_m]Just[/name_m] dropping a quick poll featuring the names I love that are far too similar – I’d like to know which you prefer. :blush:

• ada
  • adelaide

0 voters

• catherine
  • katherine

0 voters

• daphne
  • delphine

0 voters

• elaine
  • eleanor

0 voters

• emilia
  • emma

0 voters

• gwendolen
  • gwyneth

0 voters

• isobel
  • isadora

0 voters

• julia
  • juliet

0 voters

• louise
  • lucy

0 voters

• mariella
  • marilla

0 voters

• molly
  • polly

0 voters

• rosamund
  • rose
  • rosemary
  • rosina

0 voters

• sophie
  • sylvie

0 voters

(Edit: Had to vote myself in order to see the results for some reason…)

I picked [name_u]Louise[/name_u] over [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] and [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f] over [name_f]Ada[/name_f], because [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] could very easily be a nickname for [name_u]Louise[/name_u] and [name_f]Ada[/name_f] could be a nickname for [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f].

2 Likes

I did vote (maybe I’m slightly biased toward [name_f]Sylvie[/name_f] lol) but I wanted to add that I agree with @Poseylee that [name_f]Ada[/name_f] could definitely be a nickname for [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f]!

1 Like

I definitely agree with @Poseylee and @midwinter that [name_f]Ada[/name_f] would be a great nn for [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f]. I chose [name_u]Louise[/name_u] over [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] simply because I like the [name_f]Lucie[/name_f] spelling more.

1 Like

I picked [name_f]Rosamund[/name_f], but [name_f]Rose[/name_f] could easily be a nn. I also agree that [name_u]Louise[/name_u] nn [name_f]Lucy[/name_f], [name_f]Emilia[/name_f] nn [name_f]Emma[/name_f] and [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f] nn [name_f]Ada[/name_f] could definitely work.

1 Like

@Poseylee, @midwinter, @shells15, & @IrinaNicolaStrong
Thanks for all your thoughts, girls!

Yes, [name_f]Ada[/name_f] could technically be a nn for [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f]. I just love [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f] in full so much that I wouldn’t want to nn it. Same with [name_u]Louise[/name_u], [name_f]Emilia[/name_f], and all the [name_f]Rose[/name_f] names.

@IrinaNicolaStrong
I love the [name_f]Lucie[/name_f] spelling, too! I tend to just default to [name_f]Lucy[/name_f], though, because I like both and that one seems to be the easier one. Still, [name_f]Lucie[/name_f] is lovely. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Ah, understandable! [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f] is lovely. I know it’s so subjective but I’ll give a bit more of my thoughts on each vote (though I like basically everything in the polls)

Adelaide vs [name_f]Ada[/name_f] - I personally prefer [name_f]Ada[/name_f], because it’s so short and sweet yet feels distinctive despite its popularity! [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f] to me doesn’t stand out quite as much from similar names, though it is also pretty.

Catherine vs [name_f]Katherine[/name_f] - honestly my preference on this could easily flip five times a day. [name_f]My[/name_f] ultimate opinion is that they have entirely different vibes and my spelling preference would depend on the combo.

Daphne vs [name_f]Delphine[/name_f] - [name_f]Daphne[/name_f] is just so lovely and vintage feeling and works on any age perfectly, and [name_u]Daffy[/name_u] is such a sweet nickname!

Eleanor vs [name_f]Elaine[/name_f] - this one is close! [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] is classic and gorgeous and grounded enough to leave lots of room for a braver middle.

Emilia vs [name_f]Emma[/name_f] - [name_f]Emilia[/name_f] feels a bit fresher to me, popular while still being a striking choice.

Gwendolen vs [name_f]Gwyneth[/name_f] - [name_f]Gwyneth[/name_f] just has such a nice sound and I don’t hear the name terribly often. It feels versatile yet strong.

Isadora vs [name_f]Isobel[/name_f] - ahh again a close one but [name_f]Isobel[/name_f] just LOOKS so stunning despite the popularity of every spelling of [name_f]Isabelle[/name_f]. If popularity bothers you, go with [name_f]Isadora[/name_f], but then you already know that. The [name_f]Isobel[/name_f] spelling just feels so mysterious and magical somehow. (Also I don’t know if this would bother you, but I think it could definitely work to use one as a first name and the other as a middle for a different child.)

Juliet vs [name_f]Julia[/name_f] - [name_f]Juliet[/name_f] has a nice striking sound and I like the ending which makes it feel more distinct than [name_f]Julia[/name_f] to me.

Lucy vs [name_u]Louise[/name_u] - both classic stunning choices but the literary reference of [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] ([name_f]Narnia[/name_f], though obviously there are so many more) wins it for me and the sound is so simple and sweet.

Mariella vs [name_f]Marilla[/name_f] - I just love how [name_f]Marilla[/name_f] sounds. [name_f]Rilla[/name_f] is the cutest nickname, and the -illa ending sounds fresher than the -ella ending to me.

Molly vs [name_f]Polly[/name_f] - somehow I just have an easier time thinking of [name_f]Molly[/name_f] as a full name? [name_f]Molly[/name_f] also feels easier to picture at any age.

Rose, [name_f]Rosamund[/name_f], [name_f]Rosemary[/name_f], or [name_f]Rosina[/name_f] - [name_f]Rosemary[/name_f] the herb is honestly a great association to me and the sound wins it for me. [name_f]Rosamund[/name_f] is second for its lovely sound and appearance!

Sophie vs [name_f]Sylvie[/name_f] - I just love how [name_f]Sylvie[/name_f] sounds, after all I picked it for my NB name lol. It just flows off the tongue and feels like nature in any season.

I’m not sure if any of that helps but that’s the reasoning behind my choices!

1 Like

Absolutely! I enjoy hearing the reason people like certain names over others. Thank you for sharing!

I definitely agree with a lot of your points. Especially on [name_f]Katherine[/name_f]/Catherine – my preference tends to depend on the combo, too!

And I definitely go back and forth between [name_f]Isobel[/name_f] and [name_f]Isadora[/name_f]. I agree, there is something about the [name_f]Isobel[/name_f] spelling, though I also quite like [name_f]Isabel[/name_f]. [name_f]Isabel[/name_f] variants aren’t terribly popular where I live, so popularity doesn’t matter so much to me with this one. But I think both names are simply gorgeous!

[name_f]Marilla[/name_f] does sound so sweet, doesn’t it? I do adore the nn “[name_f]Rilla[/name_f]”!
And, yes, very true: -illa is fresher than -ella.

As for [name_f]Sylvie[/name_f]…

I think you nailed it there!

1 Like

Ada, [name_f]Lucy[/name_f], [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f], [name_f]Sophie[/name_f], [name_f]Polly[/name_f] and [name_f]Juliet[/name_f] are wonderful

1 Like

So many great names. I chose: [name_f]Ada[/name_f], [name_f]Katherine[/name_f], [name_f]Daphne[/name_f], [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f], [name_f]Emilia[/name_f], [name_f]Gwenyth[/name_f], [name_f]Isadora[/name_f], [name_f]Juliet[/name_f], [name_f]Lucy[/name_f], [name_f]Mariella[/name_f], [name_f]Molly[/name_f], [name_f]Rose[/name_f], and [name_f]Sylvia[/name_f].

I loooove [name_f]Delphine[/name_f], but paired next to [name_f]Daphne[/name_f] I just lean a bit more to the latter.

Personality, I prefer the [name_f]Juliette[/name_f] spelling for [name_f]Juliet[/name_f], but I think it’s pretty stunning regardless.

I’m really not into [name_f]Gwen[/name_f]- names, so this was a “lesser of two evils” type of choice for me haha.

1 Like