Career help!

[name_f]My[/name_f] absolute dream is to become an author. I’ve been writing my entire life and I just know that’s what I’m destined to do. I’d love to take a creative writing class in college and I’d love to major/minor in it even more. But is it too risky to get a creative writing degree? I’m interested in nursing but I know that once I make a steady income with my book I’ll quit that. So ideally, I’d like to major in creative writing. [name_f]My[/name_f] second choice would to major in nursing and minor in creative writing. Any suggestions as to what to pick?

I feel like majoring in something you aren’t passionate about could be a bad idea. Since you wouldn’t be a nurse for long, I don’t think it would be worth the money to major in it. [name_m]Just[/name_m] my personal opinion.

1 Like

If you plan on writing a book on your own, it might not be necessary to major in creative writing; just to study it some and practice and improve. Also, even excellent authors often need a stream of income before they make any money off of writing. So, I’m leaning towards majoring in nursing and minoring in creative writing, if nursing is something you would enjoy as well.

Another thing to think about is the price of college. [name_m]How[/name_m] long would it take you to pay off your education with a steady income? Writing often doesn’t come to fruition for years. I don’t mean to discourage you at all; if you love writing, by all means pursue that! But your creativity and passion will probably take you further than a major in creative writing could, and a job in nursing could provide a steady job (allowing you to write without the immediate necessity of making money) and help you pay for college.

Ultimately, it is your decision, but I think majoring in nursing may be practical and wouldn’t prohibit your dream of becoming an author at all. Your major is not your destiny.

Good luck!

1 Like

Is double majoring an option? If not, I would major in nursing and minor in creative writing. So I’ve always thought that I’d be a psychologist but known that in a dream world I’d pick acting. I majored in psychology in college, because you NEED a degree to be a psychologist, but you don’t need a degree to be an actor. Like, it certaintly won’t hurt, but my audition can also speak for itself. Of course, the classes are still helpful, so I took all the theatre classes I was interested in. I was super involved in theatre all throughout college and got to do everything I wanted (like be in shows) despite not being a theatre major. And I intend to always keep theatre in my life, even if it’s community theatre and not professional theatre, while still pursuing higher education in psych.

You can pursue both. But I’d say a degree is probably more likely to be a deciding factor when trying to get work in the nursing field than writing.

Of course, you and I are different people, so idk. Although I love acting, I do also love psychology. So I know I’ll still be happy doing that. [name_m]How[/name_m] much do you like nursing? It does seem like a big commitment for something it sounds like you want to only do temporarily. Maybe you’d be more interested in being an editor/english teacher/something else in that field until you become a writer full time?

1 Like

Yeah. I know I’d love being a nurse but if go into it knowing that I won’t be there forever, then I probably won’t put as much effort into it as I would writing, since that’s my absolute passion. Thank you for the advice :heart:

1 Like

I didn’t even think of double majoring! I’ll definitely look into it. Thank you! :heart:

1 Like

I’m not sure whether my parents will be paying for my college tuition or not (I’m pretty sure they are) but even if they are, I still don’t want to waste their money on a degree that won’t get me anywhere so I’m not sure what to do. Thank you for the advice! :heart:

Good luck with your plans (especially at an uncertain time such as this)! [name_f]Remember[/name_f], even if you make a choice now, it doesn’t have to be permanent; there is time, even in college and as an adult, to adjust your path.

2 Likes