Carmen for a boy

Carmen is one of those names I see show up green on Nameberry and I think what!?!? That’s not unisex! But I remembered that I have a male relative with the middle name [name_u]Carmen[/name_u], his siblings tend to call him by both his first and middle name, and I think it’s really nice. His first name is a classic male name.

But now that got me thinking more about [name_u]Carmen[/name_u] as a boys name… [name_u]Cameron[/name_u] is a more masculine leaning unisex name, why not [name_u]Carmen[/name_u]? But I’ve always thought of it as a girls name

Idk I am a huge [name_u]Carmen[/name_u] fan… if I renamed myself I’d probably name myself [name_u]Carmen[/name_u], so it’s nice to think anyone could be [name_u]Carmen[/name_u].

I think I like it better as a girl’s name but I want to change my mind!

Carmen

0 voters

Carmen (boy)

0 voters

Carmen (girl)

0 voters

While I think prefer it on girls, I think [name_u]Carmen[/name_u] on a boy would be really sweet actually. All my associations to the name [name_u]Carmen[/name_u] are female, but at the same time the name doesn’t have overly frilly sounds in it. So I think it’s brave but definitely not too out there

1 Like

Ooh [name_u]Carmen[/name_u] on a boy is handsome! I quite like it though I do prefer it on a girl

1 Like

It’s green so it must be unisex but I just can’t see it, sorry. [name_u]Carmen[/name_u] is all girl to me. It makes me think of the opera (about a woman).

It’s handsome, although I can see it getting misgendered often.

1 Like

I’ve known one gentleman with this name, although he spells it [name_f]Carmon[/name_f], and that spelling distinction makes it feel like just a different enough name than [name_u]Carmen[/name_u] that it works for me.

I do associate [name_u]Carmen[/name_u] pretty exclusively with women’s names, and I think the slight change to [name_f]Carmon[/name_f] could help to clear any gender confusion up.
A lovely name! Good luck!

Carmen feels feminine to me, rather than unisex. I’ve never heard of a man with that name. It’s one of the most common Spanish names for women. I would suggest [name_u]Carmine[/name_u].

I’ve always had a soft spot for [name_u]Carmen[/name_u] on a girl it’s just dreamy and romantic in my eyes. I do like this name for a boy as well I think it would make an unexpected choice but I do prefer [name_u]Carmen[/name_u] for a girl. Whereas in relation to [name_u]Cameron[/name_u] I prefer for a boy.

I think of [name_u]Carmen[/name_u] as more of a girls name, but another name that some girls have that isnt used for boys very often is [name_u]Chelsea[/name_u]. I know that everyone has a preference but [name_u]Chelsea[/name_u] sounds fine to me as a boys name.

Or Carmine

1 Like

I just love [name_u]Carmen[/name_u] for a girl, I really don’t think it would be at all ideal for a boy.