Carolina?

Would you pronounce [name]Carolina[/name] as in Herrera or as in the states?

Care-O-[name]LEE[/name]-nuh, as in Herrera…

[name]Caro[/name]-leena… as in [name]Carolina[/name] Herrera.

Though, I imagine the majority may say it like the States…

I would pronounce it like the state (though I think it sounds better the other way).

As far as state names go, I prefer [name]Virginia[/name].

I pronounce it like the state.

So it’s 2:2 so far. DH and I are down to the wire so please keep the votes coming. Thank you for your help!

It depends on the context; if I knew it was a name, then Car-oh-leen-a. I pronounce the state Car-oh-line-a. I think it’s a really pretty name…

I always thought [name]Carolina[/name] Herrera WAS pronounced the same as the state! but that is my British ignorance for you.

I like the name pronounced like the state best and think it is a lovely name.

I’ve only ever met a -leena.

If I were choosing the name, I would say it like Herrera to get ther nickname [name]Lina[/name] pron. [name]Leena[/name]. If I saw it written someplace, I would just ask.

I think it’s beautiful! I pronounce it as Care-o-[name]LEE[/name]-nuh, like the designer, [name]Carolina[/name] Herrera, but I’m guessing that it will likely be pronounced as Care-o-line-uh by some.

Good luck!

5:3 for Herrera. Anyone else?

I’d pronounce the name [name]Carolina[/name] like this:

Cahro-lee-nuh or Care-oh-lee-nuh

I also like [name]Carolina[/name] spelled as [name]Karolina[/name], but either spelling is great.

6:3 for Herrera. Your thoughts?

Seeing as I live in the Carolinas, I would automatically pronounce it like the states. It’s pretty either way. [name]Caro[/name]-lee-nuh is more exotic, but I prefer the gentle sweetness of caro-line-uh. I would use the nickname [name]Lina[/name] (lee-nuh) either way.

I had never heard of the [name]Leena[/name] pronunciation until just now. I would only ever pronounce it like the state. [name]Leena[/name] seems wrong and almost disrespectful to me. I think your daughter would have to correct people her whole life if it is pronounced [name]Leena[/name] for the last two syllables. I much prefer the [name]Lina[/name] pronunciation.

Aok – [name]Just[/name] wondering, how is the [name]Leena[/name] pronunciation disrespectful? And to whom?

Aok: Why exactly do you find the Herrera pronunciation to be"disrespectful"? Please elaborate.

I have to admit, although I was a fashion editor for a long time, I too thought Herrera pronounced her name like the state. And I pronounce this name like the state. [name]Both[/name] are acceptable and lovely but, in the non-Hispanic U.S., I think most people’s first impulse would be to pronounce with the long i, like the state.

what a beautiful name! I would say it “caro[name]LEEna[/name]”…

I have a 2.5 year old [name]Carolina[/name] pronounced [name]Caro[/name]-leena. We get [name]Carolina[/name] like the state sometimes when we go to the doctors office. But just like [name]Carolina[/name] is a state it is also a city in Puerto [name]Rico[/name] pronounced [name]Caro[/name]-leena so i am not sure how it can be seen as disrespectful. I think [name]Caro[/name]-leena is a wonderful twist on the classic [name]Caroline[/name].