Caroline and Charlotte - REALLY too close?

Alright ladies…

I KNOW that, technically speaking, [name]Caroline[/name] and [name]Charlotte[/name] are, well, the same name. But, are they really too close to use together, as potential first names, in the same family? To me, they sound so different and have such different nicknames that it almost doesn’t matter that they are both female forms of [name]Charles[/name].

So, please tell me if I am really going insane, or humor me and tell me they are fine to use for siblings!

Thanks a bunch!

(This conversation with myself started when I began to think about what one letter I could name a whole flock of girls with, and I chose C - [name]Caroline[/name] [[name]Cara[/name], [name]Carrie[/name]], [name]Charlotte[/name] [[name]Lottie[/name]], [name]Catherine[/name] [[name]Cate[/name]], [name]Cecily[/name] [Ceci], [name]Cornelia[/name] [[name]Nell[/name]], and [name]Claire[/name].)

No, they are not to close, expecially if they are twins. In fact, My name is [name]Caroline[/name] and if I had a twin, my parents were going to name her [name]Charlotte[/name]!

Thanks for the reply, [name]Caroline[/name]. So, what are your siblings’ names?

I could see arguments on both sides, but I probably wouldn’t use [name]Charlotte[/name] and [name]Caroline[/name] myself.
That said, I love your list, and would totally use [name]Charlotte[/name], [name]Corrina[/name], and [name]Cecily[/name] if I had three girls (in fact, I think it would be awesome for them to all have C names, but not in fact have names that start with the same sound).

Okay, thanks! I’m not really loving the same initial idea, myself, but it might happen. I just wanted to clear up this [name]Charlotte[/name]-[name]Caroline[/name] debate once and for all in my head…

I don’t think [name]Charlotte[/name] and [name]Caroline[/name] are too close. They are further apart than [name]Charles[/name] and [name]Carl[/name], anyway. If you like the idea of the same root and meaning, I think [name]Charlotte[/name] and [name]Caroline[/name] makes a very pretty combination. And since both names have plenty of history to back them up, sisters named [name]Charlotte[/name] and [name]Caroline[/name] would not feel superfluous. They are both lovely, classic names.

I would never do that. It wouldn’t matter to me that they don’t sound alike; they come from the same root! It’s like naming two kids [name]Isabelle[/name] and [name]Elizabeth[/name]! I would just think the parents were uncreative or something.

What could you possibly name a third daughter so that they didn’t all sound like clones AND the other daughter didn’t stick out?

And even if [name]Caroline[/name] and [name]Charlotte[/name] were the only two in the family, the similarity of their names would really bother me, personally.

Haha! Okay, girls, I see the point! I’m honestly not a fan of same initials, so I would never do this in reality. I was just testing the waters, I suppose…

Sorry I took so long to reply . . . My siblings names are:
[name]Chase[/name] [name]Anthony[/name] ([name]Chase[/name])
[name]Benjamin[/name] [name]Galen[/name] [name]King[/name] ([name]Ben[/name]) <------------- He has 2 middle names
[name]Caleb[/name] [name]Amos[/name] ([name]Caleb[/name])
[name]Lucas[/name] [name]Charles[/name] ([name]Luc[/name])

So ya. I have 4 brothers. [name]Chase[/name] is younger and all the others are older.
Thanks!

My opinion: they are way too close. Like the previous poster, it would be like naming two sisters [name]Elizabeth[/name] and [name]Isabella[/name], or [name]Katherine[/name] and [name]Catalina[/name]. I would pick the one you like best, use it, and find another beautiful name to use that you like equally well.

Thanks for the comments, everyone. I sincerely appreciate them! When I do have children, I will NOT be naming two daughters [name]Caroline[/name] and [name]Charlotte[/name], as I think we have now decided beyond a shadow of a doubt that the two names are too close. Luckily for me, I prefer [name]Lydia[/name] to both of them!