Cary James or Nolan Thomas

Which do you like better? [name]Cary[/name] [name]James[/name] is our favorite but we worry that “[name]Carrie[/name]” is traditionally a girls name. Can we get away with using it for a boy?

I prefer [name]Nolan[/name] [name]Thomas[/name], but I wouldn’t worry about [name]Cary[/name] seeming too feminine because of [name]Carrie[/name] because the irish [name]Kerry[/name] is for boys. I love [name]James[/name] and [name]Thomas[/name] much more than [name]Cary[/name] and [name]Nolan[/name] though, both are mns on my list.

[name]Love[/name] [name]Cary[/name] [name]James[/name]! But I tend to like those old-fashioned names that are now popular for girls (I know that’s not the same for [name]Cary[/name]/[name]Carrie[/name], but I mean [name]Ashley[/name], [name]Leslie[/name], etc.). Not a fan of [name]Nolan[/name], but I know it’s popular.

Although both names are wonderful, I love the late debonair actor [name]Cary[/name] [name]Grant[/name] so [name]Cary[/name] [name]James[/name] pulls out in front of [name]Nolan[/name] [name]Thomas[/name]. There is also a British male actor named [name]Cary[/name] Elwes so I think you can get away with using it for a boy! I say be bold and go for it! [name]Nolan[/name] [name]Thomas[/name] would be a fine choice too. It reminds me of Welsh poet and writer [name]Dylan[/name] [name]Thomas[/name].

Personally, [name]Cary[/name] is all girl to me. I do prefer it to [name]Nolan[/name] though. [name]How[/name] about [name]Thomas[/name] [name]Cary[/name], [name]James[/name] [name]Cary[/name], [name]Thomas[/name] [name]Nolan[/name]? I prefer [name]Thomas[/name] and [name]James[/name].

to me carry is all girl… sorry… i do like [name]Nolan[/name] though!

Prefer [name]Nolan[/name] [name]Thomas[/name]. I pronounce [name]Cary[/name] and [name]Carrie[/name] differently. [name]Cary[/name] is a surname to me!

[name]Nolan[/name] [name]Thomas[/name].
[name]Cary[/name] is so female to me, and makes me think of [name]Mariah[/name] [name]Carey[/name] and that comedian I can’t remember the first name of.

Sure, [name]Carrie[/name] is female to me, but [name]Cary[/name] is male. I pronounce them the same though, so I don’t know. On paper I love [name]Cary[/name] [name]James[/name], [name]LOVE[/name] it. But [name]Nolan[/name] [name]Thomas[/name] might avoid confusion. Grr, I wish we didn’t have male and female names sometimes!

I’m advocating for [name]Cary[/name] [name]James[/name]. I know guys named [name]Cary[/name], [name]Tracy[/name], [name]Ashley[/name], [name]Lindsey[/name], [name]Shannon[/name], and [name]Courtney[/name] who all wear their names well. Shockingly none of them have morphed into girls because of their names. Who cares if your [name]Cary[/name] is mistaken for a girl on paper? Girls named [name]Logan[/name] and [name]Ryan[/name] will be mistaken for boys on paper. This doesn’t stop parents from giving their daughters boys’ names. When you introduce your son to other people - or later when your son introduces himself to other people - they will see that he is a male.

Personally I think [name]Nolan[/name] is a bit predictable. [name]Cary[/name] is a much more interesting choice.

I love [name]Cary[/name] on a boy, and I think the associations of [name]Cary[/name] [name]Grant[/name] are still strong enough that having a male [name]Cary[/name] would not be so odd.

I love the male name [name]Cary[/name] though I would guess there are far more female [name]Carrie[/name]'s/[name]Kerry[/name]'s than male [name]Cary[/name]'s. I think of the actor Cary Grant.

Oh, please use [name]Cary[/name]! I think it’s just so debonair when boys have names that have been somewhat “taken over” by girls like that. It makes them seem so confident. Like, they don’t care about trends, they know they have a fantastic name. There’s just something so transcendentally masculine about it. Oh, I love it! And for interest’s sake, my first association in [name]Cary[/name] Elwes, who is so handsome and dashing!

Meh, I know a guy named [name]Carey[/name]… not a big deal. Plus, I don’t think there are many little girls being named [name]Carrie[/name] these days so the likelihood of your son having a peer named [name]Carrie[/name] is pretty low. But maybe some of his peers’ mothers would be [name]Carrie[/name]? Oh well, I think it’s general knowledge that [name]Carrie[/name]/[name]Carey[/name]/[name]Cary[/name]/[name]Karrie[/name]/ etc. is androgynous.

ETA because I apparently missed the title, I LOVE Nolan! So that gets my vote, but I don’t think Cary for a boy is bad.

Thanks for the feedback everyone!