Caspar vs Caspian

[name_m]Caspar[/name_m] vs [name_m]Caspian[/name_m]… DH has his preference and I have mine. Which do you prefer and why?

We had our NT scan and it certainly looks like this little one is a boy! We won’t know for sure until our next sonogram in about 5 weeks but since we have 2 girls, I’m going to have fun concentrating on boys names for now.

Oooh, I’m so torn! On the one hand, I [name_f]LOVE[/name_f] [name_m]Caspian[/name_m], and 98% of that is probably because of [name_f]Narnia[/name_f]. :slight_smile: But on the other hand, I’m not gutsy enough to use it up front. I would be more likely to use [name_m]Caspar[/name_m] up front, and I [name_f]LOVE[/name_f] it, and its connection to [name_u]Christmas[/name_u], but I don’t love it quite so much as [name_m]Caspian[/name_m] (ironic, huh?). I think I like [name_m]Caspar[/name_m] better with your girls, but Vitalia, [name_f]Laurel[/name_f], and [name_m]Caspian[/name_m] is perfect (in fact, it might actually go better stylistically than [name_m]Caspar[/name_m]!), as well.

Out of curiosity, which is your preference? :slight_smile:

@ash, you crack me up! My preference is [name_m]Caspar[/name_m], though I love them both. [name_m]Caspian[/name_m] doesn’t feel as rooted for me. It’s only appeared in the last 10 years or so really as a name people use. My fear there is it sounds a bit trendy and may jump (probably not crazy high, but still) in popularity. While [name_m]Caspar[/name_m] has been used for ages, sparsely, and holding steady in that range. When I see the graph and the line shoots straight up for popularity for [name_m]Caspian[/name_m] it sends a red flag. [name_m]Even[/name_m] though its still a rare name. If that makes sense…

My pick is [name_m]Caspian[/name_m]. [name_m]Caspar[/name_m] reminds me of [name_m]Casper[/name_m] the ghost. [name_m]History[/name_m] and popularity of a name don’t matter to me.

[name_m]Caspian[/name_m]. [name_f]One[/name_f] is a prince, the other is a ghost. No contest.

I agree with this if I’m being honest, but go with your gut!

[name_m]Both[/name_m] great, though [name_m]Caspian[/name_m] has a few more options for more modern nicknames (i.e. [name_m]Cas[/name_m] or Caz as well as [name_m]Ian[/name_m])? I think the connection with [name_m]Caspar[/name_m] the Ghost will be very difficult to shake, might get teased for it. But,I think it also depends on what the MN will be?

I like both equally.
[name_m]Caspar[/name_m] is very traditional and though the thought of the ghost does come up… I think it is a good association to have in childhood as he is a loving friendly kind person.
[name_m]Caspian[/name_m] whilst literary and geographic, I agree is very trendy.

In all honestly, I’d rather have the [name_m]Caspar[/name_m] association (and yes I did read all 7 [name_f]Narnia[/name_f] books in childhood as I had the complete collection)

Edited for privacy.

My boss’ name is [name_m]Casper[/name_m] (with an -er) and my husband’s best friend has the surnamed [name_m]Kasper[/name_m]. Although the initial thought is always “the friendly ghost,” both men have very much made the name distinctly theirs and the association is long since forgotten. I’d say go with [name_m]Caspar[/name_m] because it’s fresh and bold, and likely will become more commonly known as a name than a ghost moving forward.

I like both a lot :slight_smile: though with the [name_m]Caspar[/name_m] spelling, I always say “cass-PAAAARR” in my head in a haughty voice, for whatever that’s worth!

I love [name_m]Caspar[/name_m]! It’s an underused gem. “[name_m]Casper[/name_m] the Friendly Ghost” doesn’t bother me at all; I actually think it’s cute. In any event, [name_m]Caspar[/name_m] makes me think first of the Three Wise Men.

[name_m]Caspian[/name_m] has a pleasant sound, but…I don’t know. It seems very “now,” by comparison. I have to admit it also gives me the same uncomfortable feeling I get when I meet kids with names obviously culled from [name_f]Star[/name_f] Wars, Tolkein, or anime. If I could live another couple hundred years, maybe I’d have the same reaction to [name_m]Caspian[/name_m], [name_f]Katniss[/name_f], and Anakin as I do to other invented names like [name_f]Vanessa[/name_f], [name_f]Wendy[/name_f], and [name_f]Olivia[/name_f]–that they’re just names, rather than fandom enthusiasm crossing too far over into real life–but I’m not there yet.