Casper, Otis, Wilkie, Whit, Harlan, Ellis, Kit, Sinclair

Ok, first off, I really love Casper. It’s vintage and unique without sounding weird and I just like how it sounds. Apparently Casper was also one of the three magi who brought gifts to Jesus? Cas is a cute nickname. I cannot talk my husband into it! I realize many people might think of the friendly ghost but I also don’t even hate that. I loved the movie growing up! So tell me, what do you think and how do I talk my husband into it! This will be a brother to James and August.

Also, Otis is a name my husband really likes but it’s like my mind goes blank when I hear it. What do you think of when you hear Otis? I guess I think of the Milo and Otis movie… I’m really trying to fall in love with the name because I actually think it’s probably pretty similar to our other names/pretty cool and not super common. But I just don’t have an opinion!

These are a few of my other names: Wilkie and Whit are nicknames for William (But we already used a nickname for William in a different kid so husband says no). What other name could Wilkie come from? Kit could be a nickname for Kingston (has family significance, maybe used in the middle spot). Harlan is a family name. Ellis is nice but I don’t know if I LOVE it. Sinclair is cool but it needs a nickname and I can’t think of any good ones.

Rolf is a family name that I’m being pushed to consider but I hate it. It makes me think of vomiting. But I don’t mind the nickname Rollie. What do you think of when you hear Rolf? Maybe I could use it in the first name spot but use Casper as a middle and call him that?

So…those are my big challenges. Any opinions would be super helpful! Thank you!!

The name [name_m]Otis[/name_m] personally reminds me of a dog name similar to the name [name_f]Molly[/name_f] and [name_u]Max[/name_u], I do see the appeal in O names though, if your husband has a hard time in considering [name_m]Casper[/name_m] maybe the name [name_m]Castor[/name_m]? You can still use “[name_m]Cas[/name_m]” as a nickname, For [name_u]Sinclair[/name_u] I like the nickname “[name_m]Clay[/name_m]“, the name [name_m]Rolf[/name_m] is cute, but alternatives is [name_m]Rollo[/name_m] and maybe going with the original name [name_m]Rudolf[/name_m] and “[name_m]Rolf[/name_m]” as a nickname

Sorry if the answer so robotic! I wanted to answer all of the ones I could help with :blush:

1 Like

Casper- Is amazing. Maybe try [name_u]Jasper[/name_u] or another variation of [name_m]Casper[/name_m] that your husband would like.

Otis- Is cute but strong. Maybe [name_m]Casper[/name_m] [name_m]Otis[/name_m] and you both get what you want.

Wilkie- Again other version of [name_m]William[/name_m] like Wilhem, etc. It also reminds me too much of [name_f]Selkie[/name_f].

Kit- Kristoph, [name_m]Atticus[/name_m], [name_m]Patrick[/name_m], [name_u]Beckett[/name_u], [name_m]Charles[/name_m], the basic [name_m]Christopher[/name_m] (or with a K).

Harlen- Reminds me of [name_u]Harley[/name_u]. I like it.

Ellis- Boring

Sinclair- [name_m]Clay[/name_m], [name_f]Clairy[/name_f], [name_u]Clair[/name_u], Airy, Ink

Rolf- Vomit. I like the [name_m]Rudolph[/name_m] suggestion.

1 Like

I think I would let [name_m]Caspar[/name_m] go, as hard as that might be just because your husband doesn’t sound into it.
[name_m]Otis[/name_m] is nice but feels insubstantial somehow next to [name_u]James[/name_u] and [name_u]August[/name_u].

Not too sure about [name_m]Wilkie[/name_m] full names (I guess [name_m]Wilkes[/name_m] but that’s not got a great association). I would probably also eliminate [name_u]Ellis[/name_u] if you aren’t that into it.

I like [name_m]Harlan[/name_m] with your older boys and the family name aspect is cool. [name_m]Kingston[/name_m] is also nice and would make a nice middle. [name_u]Sinclair[/name_u] could also be cool maybe with nn [name_m]Clay[/name_m]? The only one I know just went but [name_u]Sinclair[/name_u].

I would suggest [name_m]Otto[/name_m] and [name_m]Roland[/name_m] to you as well.

1 Like

I absolutely love [name_m]Casper[/name_m] and [name_m]Otis[/name_m]! [name_m]Casper[/name_m] is one of my top names at the moment and like you, I don’t see an issue with the Friendly Ghost link. I love that it’s vintage and fresh and that it’s like [name_u]Jasper[/name_u], which I also love, but less common.

[name_m]Otis[/name_m] has a really similar vibe as [name_m]Casper[/name_m] to me actually. Like you, I think of [name_u]Milo[/name_u] and [name_m]Otis[/name_m] which I loved growing up, and also of the show Sex Education (the main character is [name_m]Otis[/name_m]).

I actually think [name_m]Casper[/name_m] [name_m]Otis[/name_m] or [name_m]Otis[/name_m] [name_m]Casper[/name_m] would both be gorgeous and would go so well with [name_u]James[/name_u] and [name_u]August[/name_u], as would both [name_m]Casper[/name_m] [name_m]Kingston[/name_m] and [name_m]Otis[/name_m] [name_m]Kingston[/name_m]!

I dislike [name_m]Rolf[/name_m] as well; it makes me think of [name_m]Rolf[/name_m] [name_m]Harris[/name_m], the Australian entertainer who was convicted of sexual assault. Not an ideal association… [name_u]Ellis[/name_u] is fine although not a favourite; I feel similarly about [name_m]Harlan[/name_m]. [name_u]Sinclair[/name_u] is kind of cool but I’d only use it in the middle. And I like Wilkie and Whit and adore Kit.

[name_f]My[/name_f] vote would ultimately go to [name_m]Casper[/name_m] [name_m]Kingston[/name_m] closely followed by [name_m]Otis[/name_m] [name_m]Kingston[/name_m]. And if Kit is a first name option, I think Kit Sinclair would be brilliant.

1 Like

[name_m]Otis[/name_m] (otitis) externa of the ear. [name_m]Can[/name_m]'t get behind that name. [name_m]Just[/name_m] reminds me of that sorry
[name_u]Ellis[/name_u] is classic
[name_u]Love[/name_u] [name_m]Casper[/name_m] and also [name_u]Jasper[/name_u]
[name_m]Wilkie[/name_m]? Not sure about that either. I do like [name_u]Willoughby[/name_u] though which I think is handsome.
I am not sure I like [name_m]Rolf[/name_m] either, reminds me of Rolf Harris but I do love [name_m]Rafferty[/name_m] and RAF which I think is charming.
[name_u]Sinclair[/name_u] is lovely but it sounds a bit feminine to me, perhaps the [name_f]Claire[/name_f] bit.
[name_m]Kingston[/name_m] is lovely think [name_u]Kingsley[/name_u] is too.
Harlan is ok but I think there are better contenders like Huxley or Henley. So all in all I would probably go for something like
Caspar Kingsley or
Ellis Kingsley/Kingston

1 Like

I love [name_m]Casper[/name_m] and it’s on my list too :slight_smile: I like the nn [name_m]Cas[/name_m] and think it goes great with [name_u]James[/name_u] and [name_u]August[/name_u]. Would your husband consider [name_m]Castiel[/name_m]/Caspian/Cassius/Cassian?

Otis - I like this and think of one of the main characters in the Sex Education series (Netflix) - however, depending on where you live, the ‘t’ might be dropped, so it would become oh-iss which isn’t nearly as nice! What about [name_m]Otto[/name_m]?

Wilkie - Wilkins is all I can think of.
[name_u]Kit[/name_u] - [name_m]Christopher[/name_m]?
[name_u]Whit[/name_u] - [name_m]Whitman[/name_m]?

Ellis - I really like this, and the nn’s [name_f]El[/name_f] or [name_u]Eli[/name_u] (ee-lie)

Sinclair - to me, this sounds like a surname - [name_m]Clay[/name_m]? But it isn’t really a natural nn.

Rolf - really dislike, even as a middle - I think of [name_m]Rolf[/name_m] [name_m]Harris[/name_m] immediately and that’s not a good connection! If you like [name_m]Rollie[/name_m] as a nn: [name_m]Roland[/name_m], [name_m]Ronaldo[/name_m], [name_u]Arlo[/name_u]?

1 Like

Casper - I have never really loved this name but I appreciate it for others. I slightly prefer [name_m]Cassian[/name_m] Or [name_m]Cassius[/name_m]

Otis- I actually have a name crush on [name_m]Otis[/name_m]. I think it’s kind of punk rock cool and can picture a little toddler with a band tee and some rocking sunglasses. I also really like it paired with your sons names

Wilkie / [name_u]Whit[/name_u] is sweet. Feels very US southern . I like it as a nickname for [name_m]Wilkinson[/name_m], [name_u]Whitney[/name_u],

Harlan - I LOVE [name_m]Harlan[/name_m]. I have some great associations and think it’s underused and under appreciated.

Ellis - I really like [name_u]Ellis[/name_u] and it was on my list but DH vetoed it as he felt it was too soft and romantic feeling( which is what I love about it)

Sinclair - I like this name ! It’s not one I would have ever come up with but now that I hear it I totally like it! I went to school with a few people with this surname - one went by [name_f]Sinny[/name_f] and one was “The [name_u]Flair[/name_u] [name_u]Clair[/name_u]” which totally suited them as they were the captain of every team and scored the most point in lacrosse

Kingston is cute for a middle name ! I don’t like it in the first name spot. [name_u]Kit[/name_u] is an adorable nickname for it and I love that it has family significance

Rolf- not a fan of this name at all . It could be short for [name_m]Raphael[/name_m] , [name_m]Ronald[/name_m] , [name_m]Roland[/name_m] ,[name_m]Roald[/name_m]

Overall with [name_u]James[/name_u] and [name_u]August[/name_u] I would pair
[name_m]Harlan[/name_m] [name_m]Casper[/name_m]
[name_u]Sinclair[/name_u] [name_m]Kingston[/name_m]
[name_m]Otis[/name_m] [name_m]Wilkie[/name_m]
[name_m]Roland[/name_m] [name_u]Francis[/name_u] ([name_m]Rolf[/name_m]) (Roffey) ([name_m]Rollie[/name_m])
[name_u]Ellis[/name_u] [name_u]Whit[/name_u] / [name_u]Ellis[/name_u] [name_m]Kingston[/name_m]

James , [name_u]August[/name_u], [name_m]Harlan[/name_m]
[name_u]James[/name_u], [name_u]August[/name_u], [name_m]Otis[/name_m]
[name_u]James[/name_u], [name_u]August[/name_u], [name_u]Sinclair[/name_u]
[name_u]James[/name_u] , [name_u]August[/name_u] and [name_m]Roland[/name_m]
[name_u]James[/name_u] ,[name_u]August[/name_u] and [name_u]Ellis[/name_u]

I think you have a great list ! If I were to make a suggestion for you I would add [name_m]Fisher[/name_m] / [name_u]Forest[/name_u]

1 Like

I love love love [name_m]Casper[/name_m]! I go back and forth between [name_m]Casper[/name_m] and [name_u]Jasper[/name_u]! Both are variations of the same name, so both are sometimes used as the name of one of the wisemen!

1 Like

I know a 14 year old boy named [name_m]Wilkin[/name_m] if you need a first name for [name_m]Wilkie[/name_m]! [name_f]My[/name_f] faves are [name_m]Casper[/name_m] and I love what people have also suggested for this like [name_m]Castor[/name_m] & Hasper. If you don’t like [name_u]Ellis[/name_u] have you thought about [name_u]Elias[/name_u] or [name_u]Elliot[/name_u] which are sort of similar. [name_m]Rolf[/name_m] is definitely a hard one, maybe going with a [name_m]Raphael[/name_m] that you call [name_m]Ralph[/name_m], that’s kind of close. [name_m]Otis[/name_m] is ok I do think of dogs and a character from a netflix show! [name_u]Love[/name_u] [name_u]Kit[/name_u] & [name_m]Harlan[/name_m]!

1 Like

Caspar sounds like a perfect little brother for [name_u]James[/name_u] and [name_u]August[/name_u], but if your husband doesn’t like it, you’re not going to talk him into it, especially if it doesn’t have a family connection. I think [name_m]Otis[/name_m] is a little too strong phonetically with the other boys names you’ve already decided on. The only “[name_u]Kit[/name_u]” full name that I’m aware of/ doesn’t seem ridiculous to me is [name_m]Christopher[/name_m], but that feels a bit long. [name_f]My[/name_f] favorite of your list (other than [name_m]Caspar[/name_m]) is [name_u]Ellis[/name_u], but again if you don’t love it, it probably isn’t the right name. [name_m]Can[/name_m] you get a long list from your husband that you can whittle down?

1 Like

I love [name_m]Otis[/name_m], but sounds like you’re not super into it. I also like [name_u]Ellis[/name_u]. I would go with your gut on [name_m]Rolf[/name_m].

A few ideas for [name_m]Wilkie[/name_m] and [name_u]Kit[/name_u]:

Willis
[name_m]Wilmer[/name_m]
[name_m]Wilfred[/name_m]
[name_m]Wilmot[/name_m]
[name_m]Kristof[/name_m]
[name_m]Atticus[/name_m] ([name_u]Kit[/name_u])
[name_u]Christian[/name_u]
[name_m]Clement[/name_m]

1 Like

[name_u]James[/name_u], [name_u]August[/name_u] and [name_m]Christopher[/name_m] nn [name_u]Kit[/name_u] would be a great set. I like all of your names but it sounds like you need something that you and your SO both like. I also think [name_u]James[/name_u] and [name_u]August[/name_u] are rather soft sounding and traditional so would look for a good match for that. [name_m]Casper[/name_m] is great but more ‘out there’ than [name_u]James[/name_u] and [name_u]August[/name_u].

[name_m]Christopher[/name_m] nn [name_u]Kit[/name_u]
Christoph
Christop
Christian
[name_m]Thomas[/name_m] nn [name_m]Tom[/name_m]/Kit
[name_m]Nathaniel[/name_m] nn [name_u]Nat[/name_u]
[name_m]Edward[/name_m] nn [name_m]Ned[/name_m]
[name_m]Edmund[/name_m] nn [name_m]Ned[/name_m]
[name_u]Elliott[/name_u] nn [name_u]Kit[/name_u]
[name_m]Lucas[/name_m] nn [name_m]Luke[/name_m]
[name_u]Miles[/name_u]
[name_m]Theodore[/name_m]
[name_u]Theo[/name_u]
[name_m]Matthias[/name_m]
[name_u]Sullivan[/name_u] nn [name_u]Sully[/name_u]
[name_u]Emmett[/name_u] nn [name_u]Kit[/name_u]
[name_m]Arthur[/name_m]
[name_u]Elias[/name_u]

Also what about [name_m]Casper[/name_m] nn [name_u]Kit[/name_u]? [name_m]Casper[/name_m] [name_m]Otis[/name_m], [name_m]Casper[/name_m] [name_m]Wilkie[/name_m], [name_m]Casper[/name_m] [name_m]Whitman[/name_m], [name_m]Casper[/name_m] [name_u]Kit[/name_u], [name_m]Casper[/name_m] [name_m]Rolf[/name_m] are all fun.

1 Like

Kit short for Kittrick ??

1 Like