Caspian šŸ‘‘

Caspian currently sits below 700th in the US and below 500th in the UK, but it ranks a lofty 25 on Nameberry :hushed: Predictions suggest itā€™s going to leap up the charts over the next few years.

In your opinion, would naming a child Caspian in, say, the next five years come across as faddish or like the parents had been swept up in a trend? Would the appearance of jumping on a bandwagon put you off using it for an actual child? Iā€™ve liked it since reading Narnia in the 90s and the books are very meaningful to both me and OH, but itā€™s hard for a name to continue feeling special when everybody else has the same idea :sweat_smile:

Also, would you say the Nameberry ranking is artificially inflated by users who like the name but arenā€™t considering genuinely using it for a baby? Is Caspian on your list?

TIA!

2 Likes

I do not think [name_m]Caspian[/name_m] is a popular name IRL. Itā€™s important to remember that a name that ranks in the 500-700 range could have only a few hundred babies given that name per year. Nameberry rankings are based on the number of clicks/views a name receives. It doesnā€™t reflect real world popularity at all.

2 Likes

[name_m]Caspian[/name_m] isnā€™t popular for me, and I donā€™t think itā€™s popular IRL. I love [name_f]Narnia[/name_f] to an great extent, and I made a little speak of delight seeing the title of this post. [name_m]Caspian[/name_m] for the win! :anchor::sailboat::crossed_swords:

1 Like

Not popular or faddish imo! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

Incoming essay (I can never help myself with Caspian) so Iā€™ve hidden it :sweat_smile:.

Summary

Caspianā€™s rising popularity is one of the only downsides to the name imo, but also something that really bugs me. Very much influenced by my own name, Iā€™ve always wanted my kids to have beautiful, unusual names that stand out in a good way. Iā€™m fully aware top 600 (I live in the UK) isnā€™t all that popular, but Iā€™m a ways off having kids and canā€™t predict how high that will rise. And I understand ā€˜trendinessā€™ taking away a bit of the shine and specialness, especially coming from a previously unpopular choice. In a (selfish, definitely illogical) way, I do want people to know Iā€™ve loved [name_m]Caspian[/name_m] forever and not just heard it, liked it, and jumped on the bandwagon.

As for Nameberry rankings, Iā€™m less bothered by it. For one everyoneā€™s spread all over the world, and Iā€™m primarily concerned about popularity where I live. Also [name_m]Caspian[/name_m] is on loads of lists, but not necessarily the name for everyone, even those actually naming children. And vice versa, Iā€™m someone with [name_m]Caspian[/name_m] at the tippy top of their list, but nowhere near being able to consider naming actual kids.

That being said, I think if youā€™re close to having children, just go for it. Caspianā€™s still unusual, and has so many other positives, it would be a shame not to use it. [name_m]Caspian[/name_m] hasnā€™t budged from my #1 spot,even though thereā€™s so far to go to even maybe get to use it, it breaks my heart a little sometimes. So if I was in the position to actually have a [name_m]Caspian[/name_m] in the near future, I wouldnā€™t hesitate.

1 Like

I would say the NB will be very different to real life stats! Either way, [name_m]Caspian[/name_m] feels established enough with literary ties and similar sounds to classic names that it doesnā€™t come across as ā€œtrendyā€. Iā€™ve only.encountered one [name_m]Caspian[/name_m] :slight_smile:

1 Like

I love Caspian, ever since reading the Chronicles of Narnia series as well, and yes itā€™s on my list.

Definitely!!! I have NEVER met a Caspian before, or ever heard it mentioned anywhere either but Nameberry.
I think it sounds fresh and exciting.
X

I understand the desire to not seem like you are a ā€œbasicā€ namer, but give your child a name you love.

1 Like

[name_m]Caspian[/name_m] is a name Iā€™d consider to be a very ā€˜Berry styleā€™ name, which is why I think itā€™s popular on nameberry. In real life, I donā€™t think itā€™s popular, as not every in real life has style. Iā€™ve never met, nor heard of a [name_m]Caspian[/name_m]. If you named a child [name_m]Caspian[/name_m], i donā€™t think it would be seen as fad-ish or following the trends.

Thanks all! Pleased to see Iā€™m probably being paranoid :laughing:

@clair.de.lune hehe I feel this way about it too! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts::shield::lion:

@Myosotis thank you so much for the essay, you have completely captured how I feel about it! I think youā€™re right, it would be a shame not to use something that was so meaningful if given the opportunity :heart: Also agree that thereā€™s an illogical impulse to ā€˜proveā€™ oneā€™s reasoning behind the name choiceā€¦ @Victory55 your phrase ā€˜basic namerā€™ made me chuckle, I think my concern with popularity is more whether the child themselves will feel they have a ā€˜popularā€™ name but of course thereā€™s a sort of vanity in the decision making process too!

@southern.maple itā€™s true, and itā€™s hard to actually envision what a ranking number actually means in terms of the population. Looks like Caspian is more likely to be in the 200s than the 700s in years to come but youā€™re right, thatā€™s still not exactly top ten!

@Greyblue @XxIzzixX @LeafTree glad to hear my suspicions confirmed :sweat_smile: Iā€™m still getting used to NB popularity vs ā€˜realā€™ popularity and I suppose being around people with similar taste and interest in names is always going to skew the stats.

4 Likes

I know one little [name_m]Caspian[/name_m] in real life, and, while itā€™s definitely popular in namer circles, I feel like itā€™s more likely to stick around as a usable but unusual but somehow familiar name rather than disappear and look faddish with time.

1 Like

Thanks! Thatā€™s a really good take.