Cate/Kate??? And middle names?

I have chosen my future daughters name.

[name]Kate[/name]/[name]Cate[/name].

It is so beautiful and has that glow in my brain. I have always loved it, but didnt know if it was my favourite. But it sooo is now!

I like it better than my name, [name]Isabella[/name]. [name]Bella[/name] just seems so boring and [name]Kate[/name] sounds so cute and fun.

I like [name]Cate[/name], but I also like [name]Kate[/name]. I have no idea of the spelling!
Please answer the questions below about the name!

Middle names that would go well with it?

[name]Do[/name] you like the name?

Which spelling [name]Cate[/name] or [name]Kate[/name], and do you know any others?

[name]Do[/name] you like middle names that your parents just like, or names that are named after someone special?

[name]Miley[/name] for a middle name?

Thnx,
[name]Bella[/name]

[name]Hi[/name]!

*[name]Kate[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name], [name]Kate[/name] [name]Isabella[/name], or [name]Kate[/name] [name]Jessamine[/name]

*Yes, it’s very cute. Personally, I would prefer it as a nickname for [name]Catherine[/name]/[name]Katherine[/name], but [name]Kate[/name] is one of the prettiest nicknamey-type names.

Which spelling [name]Cate[/name] or [name]Kate[/name], and do you know any others?

• I would use [name]Kate[/name] because people generally assume it is spelled with a K. If it is [name]Cate[/name], people will usually misspell it. She will have to tell everyone how to spell it. It would not be that difficult to say “[name]Cate[/name] with a C,” but it would be easier not to have to bother with that all the time.

[name]Do[/name] you like middle names that your parents just like, or names that are named after someone special?

• I really like giving middle names after someone special, and I did that for my kids… but I think if a parent is in love with a particular name they want to use as a middle name – then that’s super special too.

• Since [name]Miley[/name] happens to be your sister’s middle name, that would be very special. [name]Kate[/name] [name]Miley[/name] flows well.

I love the name [name]Kate[/name] too! I think it’s one of the few traditionally nickname names that works very well on it’s own. My little cousin is named [name]Kate[/name] [name]Alexandra[/name] and her name is adorable on her- we call her [name]Kay[/name], [name]Katie[/name] and [name]Kate[/name]-Monster (like in Avenue Q, the musical)!

A longer middle name definitely goes best. Something like [name]Kate[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name], [name]Kate[/name] [name]Evangeline[/name], [name]Kate[/name] [name]Melinda[/name] or [name]Kate[/name] [name]Isadora[/name] would be beautiful.

Yes!

I think the [name]Kate[/name] spelling is preferable. It’s the most accepted spelling of the nickname and I think using it will avoid confusion. To me, [name]Kate[/name] with a K just looks right. Though this is a matter of personal preference- neither spelling is “correct” since [name]Catherine[/name] and [name]Katherine[/name] are both acceptable spellings of the full name.

I prefer middle names that honor someone or something (like a literary character, a historical figure, etc) rather than using a name that “sounds good”. But that’s just me. My kids will have middle names honoring someone special in my life, but I don’t think having a middle name that your parents just loved for the sound/flow is a bad thing.

[name]Kate[/name] [name]Miley[/name] doesn’t flow very well, and [name]Miley[/name] is kind of trendy in any event.

[name]Hope[/name] that helps!

Well, I think both [name]Cate[/name] and [name]Kate[/name] have plus points. I think [name]Cate[/name] looks softer, more elegant, and is more unusual (I always meet Kates, never Cates), however if you plan to use the full name [name]Catherine[/name]/[name]Katherine[/name], the K spelling seems more interesting and spunky to me (also, I love the nn [name]Kitty[/name], which doesn’t really work as Citty).

I do like [name]Cate[/name]. I actually prefer it to the full [name]Catherine[/name], even though I would normally caution against using a nickname as a full given name. I don’t think there are any spellings other than [name]Cate[/name] and [name]Kate[/name] which have the same refined and classic feel.

If you’re going for just [name]Cate[/name], I think a long middle name is in order, preferably three or more syllables. Something unusual would compliment the classic [name]Cate[/name] well, too, and vowel names are the easiest flow-wise.

Some examples :
[name]Cate[/name] [name]Alethea[/name]
[name]Cate[/name] [name]Arabella[/name]
[name]Cate[/name] [name]Eloise[/name]
[name]Cate[/name] [name]Emiliana[/name]
[name]Cate[/name] [name]Iphigenie[/name].

If I’m honest, I don’t think [name]Cate[/name] [name]Miley[/name] flows well, and I don’t really like [name]Miley[/name] at all. It has no history or meaning behind it, and I think names are somewhat empty if all they are is a string of nice but meaningless sounds.

Personally, I like middles that have special meaning. That could be using the name of someone important to you, but there’s no point using the name of someone you love if you really dislike it - you can still honour them through a different name, maybe one which shares the meaning as their name, or is related sound-wise (e.g. [name]Louise[/name] becomes [name]Lucy[/name], [name]Susannah[/name] becomes [name]Rosanna[/name]). Letting your parents choose a middle would, I’m sure, be another great option, as I imagine they would be flattered that you trust their judgement so much and feel a special connection with their granddaughter because they helped to name her.

Special meaning could also be a name from another source, though - the name of a constellation because you love astronomy, a name from your favourite song, the name of the place you and your partner honeymooned, a name from your heritage, a spice name because you’re a chef, anything like that.

[name]Auburn[/name]

I do like [name]Cate[/name] and its better than [name]Kate[/name] because its unique, really.

I prefer [name]Katherine[/name] -> [name]Kate[/name]/[name]Kitty[/name]

Plus is [name]Miley[/name] had meaning for you [name]Katherine[/name] [name]Miley[/name] flows better. But if you insist on [name]Kate[/name] as the full name (I do think it’s a nickname that can stand alone) then I agree a long middle name is more appropriate.

I love [name]Cate[/name]! I actually really like the name [name]Cecilia[/name] [name]Cate[/name] (nn CiCi), but my DH hates [name]Cecilia[/name] (very sad). Although I’m usually a stickler for using the most common spelling, I love the way [name]Cate[/name] looks over [name]Kate[/name]. Plus, I think I’m just sick of “K” names – the whole “using K in place of C on traditional C names” has ruined the letter for me. I can’t help but think of the Kardashians every time I see a K name now. :frowning: