Catherine versus Katrina

[name_f]Catherine[/name_f] has been on my list for as long as I’ve had a list–it’s my middle name and was the first name of both my aunt, who I was named after, and my great-grandmother, who she was named after. I love its endless nickname potential, its strength and history, and its meaning to generations of my family. I would definitely consider it for a future daughter’s FN or MN.

On the other hand, I’ve been really loving [name_f]Katrina[/name_f] lately. They’re obviously variants of the same basic name, so I certainly couldn’t use both, and I think it would still be a form of honoring the family name, although maybe not quite as strong as directly passing a name down through the generations. [name_f]Katrina[/name_f] has some of the same nicknames but has a little more spunk and flair.

I feel like my general taste is kind of split, which you can see if you look at the top tens in my signature: I really do like names that are extremely classic and traditional, some might even say a little boring (like [name_u]Michael[/name_u], [name_f]Anna[/name_f], or [name_f]Mary[/name_f]), but I also like names that are a little bit more different (like [name_m]Quentin[/name_m], [name_u]Rory[/name_u], or [name_f]Aoife[/name_f]). In terms of the latter names, I think [name_f]Katrina[/name_f] follows along more with the type of names I like outside of basic classics.

I think these two styles can definitely be melded in an individual name combo or in a sibset, but now I feel so conflicted between these two [name_f]Catherine[/name_f] variants! So: what do you guys think? What are your thoughts on these two names and any pros or cons of each one?

I would go for [name_f]Catherine[/name_f]. [name_f]Katrina[/name_f] just makes me think of [name_f]Hurricane[/name_f] [name_f]Katarina[/name_f].

I agree with @elenajeanine. [name_f]Catherine[/name_f] is a lovely classic but I know so many that it doesn’t have any spark for me. I think the family significance is definitely important but it sounds like you would also get that from [name_f]Katrina[/name_f]. I really like [name_f]Katrina[/name_f], always have. I knew a super sweet little girl named [name_f]Katrina[/name_f], who would be 17 years old now. I actually had [name_f]Katrina[/name_f] on my list for a long time and I still really like it, I’ve just grown to like other names more.

On the hurricane note, I’m honestly quite sick of hearing about it. [name_m]Andrew[/name_m] was also a devastating hurricane. [name_m]How[/name_m] about [name_f]Maria[/name_f], which was much more recent. Both of those names are fine but bring up [name_f]Katrina[/name_f], and it’s blacklisted. The hurricane happened almost fifteen years ago… the only people who will associate [name_f]Katrina[/name_f] with the hurricane are adults. [name_m]How[/name_m] many children can name a hurricane that happened 15+ years before their birth?

I love [name_f]Catherine[/name_f]! It’s beautiful and evergreen. But I do see the appeal of [name_f]Katrina[/name_f] – it is certainly far less common and it does have undeniable flair! Personally, for some inexplicable reason, I prefer the look of the [name_f]Caitriona[/name_f] spelling, but I suppose it doesn’t really matter.

Overall, though, I love sweet, simple [name_f]Catherine[/name_f] most. But you really can’t go wrong either way! :slight_smile:

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] there.

I prefer [name_f]Catherine[/name_f]. It’s a simple elegant classic. And I really like the ‘C’. The nn [name_f]Cate[/name_f] with a ‘C’ looks so much sleeker than the ‘K’ for some reason. Then again, I love [name_u]Kit[/name_u] & [name_f]Kitty[/name_f]. I guess that you could do [name_f]Catherine[/name_f] nn [name_u]Kit[/name_u] or [name_f]Kitty[/name_f] still. With [name_f]Katrina[/name_f] you could do [name_u]Kit[/name_u] or [name_f]Kitty[/name_f], but not [name_f]Cate[/name_f]. Obviously only [name_f]Kate[/name_f]/[name_f]Katie[/name_f] would make sense. Why not [name_f]Catrina[/name_f]? That looks nicer to me. Or even better, [name_f]Catriona[/name_f]! But that’s a bit more difficult. Definitely as a sister to [name_f]Aoife[/name_f] though. ;).

Are you in the U.S.? I’m not sure, but [name_f]Katrina[/name_f] may have a bad stigma here because of the hurricane. Probably not a big deal outside the U.S.

[name_f]Hope[/name_f] this helps. :slight_smile:

I prefer [name_f]Katrina[/name_f], I’ve never liked the [name_f]Catherine[/name_f] spelling (my choice is [name_f]Katherine[/name_f]).

I prefer [name_f]Catherine[/name_f] myself. My first association with [name_f]Katrina[/name_f] is the hurricane, unfortunately. I like [name_f]Katerina[/name_f] more.

I like both, what do you think of the spelling [name_f]Catriona[/name_f]? I went to school with a [name_f]Catriona[/name_f] ([name_f]Katrina[/name_f]).

I think I like [name_f]Katrina[/name_f] slightly more, but [name_f]Catherine[/name_f] is lovely.

I think I’m split like you. [name_f]Catherine[/name_f] is a lovely, classic name that I think will always be in style. [name_f]Katrina[/name_f] is beautiful too, and has a bit more spunk to it. However, I do think because hurricane [name_f]Katrina[/name_f] is still impacting that area of the US and it’s a more unusual hurricane name, it’ll forever be linked to that storm. That being said, I know a couple Katrinas who were born before the hurricane. They do often get comments about it but it those would fade away after a first impression. I think I’d still slightly lean towards [name_f]Catherine[/name_f]. [name_m]How[/name_m] about [name_f]Katarina[/name_f]?

[name_f]Catherine[/name_f] and [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] have always been my two favourite girls name. They are just so classic, timeless and versatile. I was able to use [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] but not [name_f]Catherine[/name_f] (He didn’t like it- sob sob). From the [name_f]Catherine[/name_f] variants, I love [name_f]Catriona[/name_f] but not [name_f]Katrina[/name_f] simply because the [name_f]Catriona[/name_f] spelling is just so beautiful. I know the pronounciation is the same. Both names are beautiful, so is [name_f]Caitlin[/name_f], [name_f]Caterina[/name_f], [name_f]Cate[/name_f] etc. I think when all boils down, I prefer c spellings.

I’m a huge fan of [name_f]Catherine[/name_f] or [name_f]Katherine[/name_f].To me [name_f]Katrina[/name_f] will always be a hurricane. Have you considered [name_f]Cassia[/name_f] or [name_f]Kassia[/name_f]?

I much prefer [name_f]Catherine[/name_f] and it’s also my preferred spelling. My second daughter was ALMOST [name_f]Catherine[/name_f] [name_f]Elise[/name_f]/[name_u]Eloise[/name_u]. I just love the nickname [name_f]Cate[/name_f] and the history of [name_f]Catherine[/name_f]/[name_f]Katherine[/name_f]. My husband ultimately said no because it’s too popular and he knows too many. I am a big stickler for names that are too popular and overused (I have a very popular name for my generation) but [name_f]Catherine[/name_f] is one of the few that doesn’t bother me. I have NEVER met a child named [name_f]Catherine[/name_f]/[name_f]Katherine[/name_f] or [name_f]Kate[/name_f]/[name_f]Katie[/name_f] nowadays so that helps too.

[name_f]Katrina[/name_f] sounds too much like ballerina to me. I just find it insubstantial. Yes, the hurricane is also not a great association but I do agree that children aren’t going to think of it.

What about:
[name_f]Karena[/name_f]/[name_f]Karina[/name_f]
[name_f]Cathleen[/name_f]/[name_f]Kathleen[/name_f]
[name_f]Carine[/name_f]/[name_f]Karine[/name_f]

I don’t know, I’m in the South (US) so all I think of is the hurricane. [name_f]Catriona[/name_f], or even [name_f]Catrina[/name_f] would be better [name_f]IMO[/name_f], but I don’t like K names in general. I do really like [name_f]Catarina[/name_f] and [name_f]Catalina[/name_f] though.

Personally I’d go midway and choose [name_f]Catherina[/name_f]. You can’t go wrong with [name_f]Catherine[/name_f] or [name_f]Katrina[/name_f] though.

I prefer Katrina… even though there is the hurricane connection. It’s a gorgeous name- i’ve never met a Katrina who wasn’t beautiful and an artist.
Catherine is nice, and a safer bet. But Katrina has much more of a spark for me.

Both names are beautiful but I prefer Catherine.

Catherine is a beautiful, classic name. I would go for it! It feels so timeless. Always a fresh choice!

Also, I forgot to mention that I’ve had a recent crush on the name Katia (Cah-tee-ah), which I think would be a gorgeous option that is similar. :blush:

I love Katrina! :revolving_hearts: I don’t live in the USA, so I’m very sorry if I’m being insensitive to anyone who was affected by the hurricane, but I really think it is time to move on from the natural disaster connection. I understand previous posters concerns about that association, however, every year hundreds of names are given to hurricanes, cyclones and storms.
Catherine is a good classic name, but it doesn’t have Katrina’s charisma, in my opinion. Katrina is a gorgeous name - unexpected, elegant and powerful! :heartpulse: