Cecilia

I’ve always loved [name]Cecilia[/name] because it was my great-grandmother’s name. Her nickname was Cici, which I wouldn’t want to use. [name]Do[/name] you think [name]Cecily[/name] would be a natural nickname? For example, it’s natural to call a [name]Sophia[/name], [name]Sophie[/name]… but this is a little different, no? The pronunciation is just a little different, so would it not come naturally? The nickname [name]Celia[/name] really doesn’t appeal to me, but I love [name]Cecily[/name]. [name]Do[/name] you know of any other nicknames for [name]Cecilia[/name]? Also, do you think it’s getting too popular? I’ve heard about a lot of people considering it. My favorite combo is [name]Cecilia[/name] Tilley [name]Rose[/name], I just looove it!

I absolutely adore [name]Cecilia[/name] Tilley [name]Rose[/name]! (I was sorely tempted to swipe it at first, because [name]Cecilia[/name] honors for me, Tilley honors for me and [name]Rose[/name] does as well, it’s a family surname for me). Since there are already 4 [name]Cecilia[/name]'s in my family, I decided to use [name]Cecily[/name] since that’s not in use in family. I can see [name]Cecilia[/name] nn [name]Cecily[/name] but think it’s not exactly an obvious one and may have to be taught to a good number of people. If you don’t like Cece/Cici or [name]Celia[/name], there are a few more options: [name]Celie[/name] (seel-ee), [name]Lia[/name] [name]Cilka[/name] ([name]Silk[/name]-ah), [name]Cilla[/name] & [name]Sisel[/name]/[name]Zisel[/name]. Hopefully something there appeals, [name]Cecilia[/name] Tilley [name]Rose[/name] is just to die for and I’d hate to see you toss it just because there are no nicknames that appeal to you! You could even just nickname her things not related to her name: [name]Honey[/name], [name]Nonnie[/name], whatever. Sometimes too, things develop that you never expected, like I doubt my parents thought that [name]Laura[/name] had any nicknames beyond the obvious [name]Laurie[/name]/[name]Lori[/name] so when my kid brother came along and christened me [name]Lola[/name], I think they were a bit surprised!

I love [name]Celia[/name] (it was my aunt’s name) and [name]Cecily[/name], and while I don’t consider them “nickanme names,” you could definitely use them for [name]Cecilia[/name]. People may assume that [name]Celia[/name] is the given name, but you could always explain! :slight_smile:

I think [name]Cecily[/name] is a name by itself and doesn’t need to be a nickname for [name]Cecilia[/name]. It could be. [name]Both[/name] names are so gorgeous!

I’m so glad you made a post about [name]Cecilia[/name], as I had been thinking about her too! I think [name]Celia[/name] or [name]Cecily[/name] could work as nicknames for [name]Cecilia[/name]. My husband’s grandmother’s name was [name]Cecile[/name], and she went by [name]Ciel[/name] (which itself means sky). Your combo is also beautiful!

Here’s my only problem with the lovely [name]Cecilia[/name]: [name]Simon[/name] & Garfunkel. The only [name]Cecilia[/name] I know is serenaded by everyone she meets (each new acquaintance of course thinking he or she is the first clever person to do so). If it weren’t for the song, [name]Cecilia[/name] would be one of my top choices. What do you think? Should I reconsider, despite the song?

I would definitely reconsider [name]Cecilia[/name]. The song is not that big a deal, isn’t on the radio often and if I mentioned “[name]Simon[/name] & Garfunkel” to one of [name]Simon[/name] or [name]Leo[/name]'s friends, I’d get a “huh, who?” sort of reaction. In another 20 years, how many youngersters are really going to know the song/ Plus, my BFF is a [name]Cecilia[/name], got sung the song and she lived. My name [name]Laura[/name], (my nickname [name]Lola[/name], too) are in songs, they were sung to me all the time and I lived too! It’s just not something I’d give much weight to. Far too pretty to shove off for that reason!

I agree with [name]Lola[/name]. Songs are an annoyance, but not a tragedy. [name]Just[/name] today at brunch the band broke into “Sweet [name]Melissa[/name]” and I waited for the inevitable “Hey, it’s your song!” I said, “Yup, sure is,” and the moment passed. No biggie.

[name]Cecilia[/name] is a great name. I prefer hearing someone go by [name]Cecilia[/name] rather than [name]Cecily[/name] if [name]Cecilia[/name] is the given name. The names are so close anyway…why not go by the given name? Most people probably pronounce [name]Cecilia[/name] with three syllables which is the same number as [name]Cecily[/name], so you wouldn’t be shortening the name all that much. If you like [name]Cecily[/name], then you could certainly make that the given name, too.

Cessie (SESS-ie) is a cute nn for either [name]Cecilia[/name] or [name]Cecily[/name]. [name]Cecily[/name] is one of my very favorite names followed closely by [name]Cecilia[/name]. I know a [name]Cecilia[/name] who goes by Cessie and another [name]Cecilia[/name] who goes by [name]Cissy[/name]. The women at my grandmother-in-law [name]Cecilia[/name]'s board and care home used to call her Cece (CEE-cee). They called her La Cece kind of like The [name]Donald[/name] as in what [name]Ivanna[/name] used to call [name]Donald[/name] Trump. I thought it was hilarious!

My great aunt is Lucielle and EVERYONE calls her [name]Sealey[/name] (i have no clue how she spells it though)…I think it works just the same for [name]Cecilia[/name].

PS - To me the song isn’t reason enough to abandon the name. I always wanted a song with my name (yeah…I got it from Mambo #5…not exactly my cup of tea, but its still fun to hear) My mom’s name is [name]Roxann[/name] and she was in high school when the song came out, she said she hated it in highschool because people would sing it down the hallway to here and she was pretty shy. But now we just laugh at it. And its acutally my ringtone when my mom calls me. I think its cute. :slight_smile:

I have a niece named [name]Cecelia[/name] [name]Isobel[/name] [name]Rose[/name] - very close indeed! Anyway, I do adore both [name]Cecilia[/name] and [name]Cecily[/name] as stand alone names, and [name]Cecilia[/name] Tilley [name]Rose[/name] is just endearing. Tilley’s light and playful feel in the middle balances the classic [name]Rose[/name] and sophisticated [name]Cecilia[/name] perfectly, in my opinion. My niece usually goes by Cessie or [name]Celie[/name]. She used to get [name]Lily[/name] occasionally, for some reason, but she now has a baby sister named [name]Lilian[/name], so that nn is out of the window!