Celtic Names Poll

See the results of this poll: Which is your favorite?

Respondents: 88 (This poll is closed)

• Seamus Maybick : 32 (36%)
  • Ewan Maybick : 31 (35%)
  • Colin Maybick: 25 (28%)

I love [name_m]Colin[/name_m]! I couldn’t see myself using it, but for someone else it’s just lovely. I do like [name_m]Seamus[/name_m], but I would be worried about the pronunciation issues because most likely people won’t know that it is pronounced [name_u]Shay[/name_u] -mus not Sea-mus. [name_m]Hamish[/name_m] another name that has that problem.

Some suggesitons:
[name_u]Aidan[/name_u]
[name_m]Kellan[/name_m]
[name_u]Dillon[/name_u]
[name_m]Kiernan[/name_m]
[name_u]Fionn[/name_u]
[name_m]Ronan[/name_m]
[name_u]Brennan[/name_u]
[name_m]Tadhg[/name_m]
[name_m]Callum[/name_m]

I love [name_m]Seamus[/name_m]! Yes, you are going to have to help some people with pronunciation, but it is a name that could well be worth the trouble. I also think it is going to pick steam soon (but not rise to stunning popularity), so I think you might regret not using it when other do so successfully. I think it will take over when [name_m]Sean[/name_m] left off, and surprising though it may seem, I have met Seans who said they had to help people through spelling/pronunciation issues.

I voted for [name_m]Colin[/name_m], but seamus was a close second. I think if you’re really worried about pronunciation I’d go with [name_m]Colin[/name_m]. It’s a really handsome name. I think you’d have more people familiar with seamus than [name_m]Ewan[/name_m]. I’ve come across [name_m]Ewan[/name_m] many times and STILL have to remind myself ‘you-in’ not ‘eww-an/eee-wahn’

1 [name_m]Ewan[/name_m] - A rare Celtic gem
2 [name_m]Colin[/name_m] - distinguished
3 [name_m]Seamus[/name_m] - I don’t like the back-to-back “[name_u]Shay[/name_u]-[name_f]May[/name_f]” sounds

[name_m]Seamus[/name_m] is by far my favorite, it’s so handsome to me and has a distinguished sound to it.

I love [name_m]Seamus[/name_m]!! It’s on my list but hubby won’t consider it. It’s a refreshing choice. Yes, you will likely have pronunciation issues along the way but worth it for a great name!

I love [name_m]Seamus[/name_m]! Unfortunately my husband does not. If you both like this name you should go for it! I think that pronunciation issues will become less common very quickly.

I voted for [name_m]Colin[/name_m] but I think [name_m]Seamus[/name_m] and [name_m]Ewan[/name_m] would be fine depending on where you live.

[name_m]Ewan[/name_m] gets my vote. I just can’t get on board with [name_m]Seamus[/name_m]. I always see “semen” when I see this one. Sorry.

Oh, I love [name_m]Seamus[/name_m]! I think that [name_m]Harry[/name_m] [name_m]Potter[/name_m] helped bring this name into the mainstream a bit more. [name_m]Ewan[/name_m] would be my second choice. [name_m]Colin[/name_m] is a little boring in comparison (though my 7 year old daughter is currently trying to persuade us to choose [name_m]Colin[/name_m] for baby #4, so it must be getting more popular with the younger crowd!)

My favorite Celtic boys’ names are [name_m]Ciaran[/name_m] (or [name_u]Kieran[/name_u]) and [name_u]Rhys[/name_u].

Thanks everyone! This is our first child & we’re finding it to be a really hard decision! All input is appreciated!

I feel your pain – it was impossible to choose a name with our first! Especially with boys names – ugh!! I do like the name [name_m]Seamus[/name_m] – my brother’s name is [name_m]Sean[/name_m], so I’m familiar with the prn. issues (although, it still boggles my mind that people mispronounce these names – they seem so well-known to me), but if you love the name, I think it’s worth it. That said, I voted for [name_m]Colin[/name_m]. It’s always been a favorite of mine and with your last name, it just sounds like the perfect little British boy. Not that that’s what you’re going for, but it holds a certain charm. :slight_smile:

My fave is [name_m]Seamus[/name_m] by far

This was incredibly hard because I love both [name_m]Seamus[/name_m] and [name_m]Ewan[/name_m]. I ultimately ended up going with [name_m]Ewan[/name_m] because I think it sounds better with Maybick.

[name_m]Seamus[/name_m]. Hands down. If I had an Irish surname, this would have been my top pick.

As for pronunciation, I assure you that the name is worth it. I was an aide to a little boy by the name, and people only ever had to be told his name once. It was memorable, and I think that there is a frame of reference for pronunciation via the familiar [name_m]Sean[/name_m].

ETA: I live in the Midwest, so it’s not like we’re the height of cultural awareness here, but very few people pronounced it wrong, even reading it for the first time. Also, consider that most people just ask how to pronounce a name these days, rather than butcher it. People are used to it, with all the deliberate misspellings, obscure, and/or names from other cultures.

I think you should go with [name_m]Seamus[/name_m] because you both love it.

Thanks, everyone. We really do like [name_m]Seamus[/name_m]!

I voted for [name_m]Ewan[/name_m] but honestly, I love all 3. [name_m]Colin[/name_m] and [name_m]Seamus[/name_m] are both quite common where I live so I am used to them. I am hearing people use [name_m]Ewan[/name_m] a bit more but just love it. You can’t lose w/ any, all really great choices! I wouldn’t let the pronunciation issues turn you off…[name_m]Seamus[/name_m] is not that bad. Once you told people once, they’d get it.