Centaurs

Okay, so I’m planning out a story about a girl who’s recently discovered she has strange abilities. Her mom finds out, and tells her the family secret—they’re the protectors of the last centaurs around. Her mom sends her to the “Reserve” for a year so she can learn to handle her powers and decide whether she’ll agree to run the Reserve when her grandmother, the current person running it, retires. Here are the characters I need names for:
The main character-drawn to horses all her life, she’s outdoorsy and adventurous, not afraid to get her hands dirty, but she still likes dresses. She’s independent and confident, but she makes a lot of decisions without thinking.
The Trio-
Centaur kids who’ve grown up on the reserve. Two boys, one girl. The (slightly) younger boy is a firecracker, the girl is calm and sarcastically superior, the (slightly) older boy is less energetic, but more brave and bold. His ego gets him in a pinch sometimes.
I haven’t started brainstorming names yet, I wanted to see what you all thought.

The main character sounds exactly like one of my friends [name_u]Delaney[/name_u] ([name_u]Laney[/name_u]). I can’t think of any other names for her because she’s just so [name_u]Delaney[/name_u]. For the other characters here’s some ideas:

Boys: [name_m]Zeke[/name_m], [name_u]Jayden[/name_u], [name_m]Jacob[/name_m], [name_m]Trent[/name_m], [name_m]Archer[/name_m], [name_m]Kaiden[/name_m], [name_u]Carter[/name_u], [name_u]Ryan[/name_u], [name_m]Preston[/name_m], [name_u]Tyler[/name_u], [name_m]Winston[/name_m], [name_u]Devon[/name_u], [name_u]Tristan[/name_u], [name_m]Ryder[/name_m],
Girl: [name_f]Emily[/name_f], [name_f]Renee[/name_f], [name_f]Jenna[/name_f], [name_f]Tiffany[/name_f], [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] ([name_f]Lizzie[/name_f]/[name_f]Liz[/name_f]), [name_u]Ashley[/name_u], [name_f]Ivy[/name_f], [name_u]Devyn[/name_u], [name_f]Isabelle[/name_f], [name_f]Kristen[/name_f], [name_f]Hannah[/name_f], [name_f]Lana[/name_f], McKenzie

[name_f]Hope[/name_f] I helped or inspired :slight_smile: Good luck!

Centaurs

Okay, so I’m planning out a story about a girl who’s recently discovered she has strange abilities. Her mom finds out, and tells her the family secret—they’re the protectors of the last centaurs around. Her mom sends her to the “Reserve” for a year so she can learn to handle her powers and decide whether she’ll agree to run the Reserve when her grandmother, the current person running it, retires. Here are the characters I need names for:*
The main character-drawn to horses all her life, she’s outdoorsy and adventurous, not afraid to get her hands dirty, but she still likes dresses. She’s independent and confident, but she makes a lot of decisions without thinking.*
The Trio-
Centaur kids who’ve grown up on the reserve. Two boys, one girl. The (slightly) younger boy is a firecracker, the girl is calm and sarcastically superior, the (slightly) older boy is less energetic, but more brave and bold. His ego gets him in a pinch sometimes.*
I haven’t started brainstorming names yet, I wanted to see what you all thought.

What an AWESOME Plot! :smiley: Please let us know when we can start reading it!

For the Main Character it might be cool to have a Name which has something to do with Horses or Centaurs. Here are the three I think really fit her well in order of best fit:

Pipini - Lover Of Horses.
[name_f]Eowyn[/name_f] - Horse Lover.
[name_f]Philippa[/name_f] (Nickname [name_f]Pippa[/name_f]) - Lover Of Horses.

The Name [name_f]Rosamund[/name_f] means “Horse Protection”, which would be PERFECT, except that [name_f]Rosamund[/name_f] really doesn’t seem to fit her personality. It DOES really suit the Girl Centaur though, IF you want to use “Human” Names for the Centaurs. It might be more fun to choose/create a set of “Naming Traditions” for your Centaurs. For example, they might all have Names which come from the Botanical Names of Plants, or the Female Centaurs might all have Names ending in “Y” while the Male Centaurs’ Names all end in “X”! These are just examples, but I hope you get the idea?

If you want “Human” Names for the Centaurs then here are some suggestions:

Younger Boy - [name_u]Rory[/name_u], [name_m]Rafferty[/name_m], [name_m]Malachy[/name_m], or [name_m]Brandt[/name_m].

Girl - [name_f]Rosamund[/name_f], [name_u]Meredith[/name_u], [name_f]Valerie[/name_f], or [name_f]Jacqueline[/name_f].

Older Boy - [name_m]Gideon[/name_m], [name_m]Leon[/name_m] or [name_m]Dion[/name_m].

[name_f]Hope[/name_f] I’ve helped in some way! :slight_smile:

What an AWESOME Plot! :smiley: Please let us know when we can start reading it!

For the Main Character it might be cool to have a Name which has something to do with Horses or Centaurs. Here are the three I think really fit her well in order of best fit:

Pipini - Lover Of Horses.
[name_f]Eowyn[/name_f] - Horse Lover.
[name_f]Philippa[/name_f] (Nickname [name_f]Pippa[/name_f]) - Lover Of Horses.

The Name [name_f]Rosamund[/name_f] means “Horse Protection”, which would be PERFECT, except that [name_f]Rosamund[/name_f] really doesn’t seem to fit her personality. It DOES really suit the Girl Centaur though, IF you want to use “Human” Names for the Centaurs. It might be more fun to choose/create a set of “Naming Traditions” for your Centaurs. For example, they might all have Names which come from the Botanical Names of Plants, or the Female Centaurs might all have Names ending in “Y” while the Male Centaurs’ Names all end in “X”! These are just examples, but I hope you get the idea?

If you want “Human” Names for the Centaurs then here are some suggestions:

Younger Boy - [name_u]Rory[/name_u], [name_m]Rafferty[/name_m], [name_m]Malachy[/name_m], or [name_m]Brandt[/name_m].

Girl - [name_f]Rosamund[/name_f], [name_u]Meredith[/name_u], [name_f]Valerie[/name_f], or [name_f]Jacqueline[/name_f].

Older Boy - [name_m]Gideon[/name_m], [name_m]Leon[/name_m] or [name_m]Dion[/name_m].

[name_f]Hope[/name_f] I’ve helped in some way! :slight_smile:

I love the suggestion of [name_f]Rosamund[/name_f] and it fits so well because of its meaning. But I also agree that it doesn’t fully fit the character description. But [name_f]Rosie[/name_f], [name_f]Rose[/name_f], [name_f]Rosa[/name_f], [name_u]Romy[/name_u], [name_u]Rory[/name_u], [name_f]Sara[/name_f], etc. might as a nickname!

[name_f]Hope[/name_f] I helped :slight_smile:

Thanks Klaryan! :slight_smile: I actually think your suggestion of [name_u]Delaney[/name_u] is a terrific fit soundwise, especially because of your [name_m]Friend[/name_m]! :slight_smile:

I really love [name_f]Rosamund[/name_f] for the MC, I think people are gonna call her [name_u]Rory[/name_u]. I’m thinking about [name_u]Drew[/name_u] for Girl Centaur, and for the Boys I’m liking [name_m]Archer[/name_m] and [name_m]Malachy[/name_m] (Malachai?), but I could definitely be swayed either way on those. Maybe something more nature-ey? I don’t quite know yet. You guys are definitely inspiring some things.

So glad we could help! [name_u]Rory[/name_u] as a Nickname for [name_f]Rosamund[/name_f] works really well with the personality you described - [name_m]Tom[/name_m] Boy yet Feminine! :slight_smile: [name_m]Archer[/name_m] is perfect for a Centaur and I love [name_m]Malachy[/name_m]. The more usual spelling is [name_m]Malachi[/name_m], which might work better for the Older Boy if you like, as [name_m]Malachy[/name_m] sounds/looks more playful for some reason to me! Anyway, they are essentially the same, just different Nationality’s spellings, and both mean “Messenger” I think. All the best with your book! :slight_smile:

Thanks a ton again! I’m working on it for [name_u]July[/name_u] Camp NaNoWriMo. You mentioned earlier wanting to know when you could read it—I could probably PM it or a link to you guys when it’s done. That is, the first draft. By the time it gets all edited and tidy, you’ll probably have forgotten about it.

:smiley: Sounds AWESOME, thanks! :slight_smile: