Change the name or not?

My husband and I have settled on a name for our girl due in a few months.

The problem? Apparently my family doesn’t like the name [name_f]Nadine[/name_f]!

We purposely have been letting people know what name we chose because people always seems to have comments about my sister’s name choices for her kids ([name_f]Penelope[/name_f] [name_f]Esmie[/name_f] and [name_m]Simeon[/name_m] [name_m]George[/name_m])… and we wanted to give them time to adjust. We did this with our first daughter, [name_f]Clarisse[/name_f], and everyone loved her name.

However, we were not expecting the grimaces.

So - two questions I guess:

1. What do YOU think of the name [name_f]Nadine[/name_f]? (sister is named [name_f]Clarisse[/name_f])
  2. Would you stick with the name or look for a new choice in light of the clear family opinion?

*We also considered [name_f]Camille[/name_f], [name_f]Matilda[/name_f], [name_f]Tiffany[/name_f], [name_f]Paulina[/name_f], [name_f]Sabrina[/name_f], [name_f]Celeste[/name_f], and [name_f]Noelle[/name_f].

(For what it is worth, my mother loves Nadine)

[name_f]Nadine[/name_f] sounds like and Arabic name to me. I don’t know if it really is though. [name_f]Clarisse[/name_f] and [name_f]Nadine[/name_f] don’t go well together. You have [name_f]Celeste[/name_f] as one of options, what about [name_f]Celestia[/name_f]? [name_f]Clarisse[/name_f] and [name_f]Celestia[/name_f] have the same initials, and if your family isn’t Arab/Muslim they will find this name more Western. I recommended [name_f]Celestia[/name_f] because I happened to like it

Not a fan of [name_f]Nadine[/name_f], agree with above on Arabic roots (I know a couple Lebanese nadines). Not sure if you are Arabic or not, but her sisters name is anything but. Of the others you chose, and given her sisters name, I would prefer [name_f]Celeste[/name_f] or noelle.

I know a [name_f]Nadine[/name_f] who is in her 80s so it always feels old ladyish to me and I don’t personally like it. If you love it though, go with it! I doubt your family would be so rude as to comment once she’s been named. From your list I love [name_f]Matilda[/name_f] nn Tille and [name_f]Noelle[/name_f].

I know a [name_f]Nadine[/name_f] who is in her 80s so it always feels old ladyish to me and I don’t personally like it. If you love it though, go with it! I doubt your family would be so rude as to comment once she’s been named. From your list I love [name_f]Matilda[/name_f] nn Tille and [name_f]Noelle[/name_f].
[name_f]Nadine[/name_f] is the [name_m]French[/name_m] form of the Russian name [name_f]Nadia[/name_f]…what do you think of [name_f]Nadia[/name_f]? I prefer it over [name_f]Nadine[/name_f].

[name_f]Nadine[/name_f] is not my style, but if you like the name then you should go for it. It’s not like it’s some sort of weird made-up or misspelled name so I don’t think there’s any real reason not to use it if it’s your favorite. It might not be very similar to [name_f]Clarisse[/name_f], but I don’t think it matters, they still go nicely together. I don’t really think kids’ names need to be all matchy-matchy anyway. Quite frankly no-one else’s opinion matters in the end but yours and your husband’s. Once your daughter is born your family will associate the name with her and that will make them like it anyway. And for what it’s worth, I don’t think [name_f]Nadine[/name_f] sounds Arabic at all.

I actually really like [name_f]Nadine[/name_f], I don’t know about the U.S. but in my country it is sort of 80/90 ish although it was never that widely used so it doesn’t feel dated to me. I also like pp’s suggestion of [name_f]Nadia[/name_f]. I think [name_f]Nadine[/name_f] and [name_f]Clarisse[/name_f] go very well together. [name_f]Nadine[/name_f] is more [name_m]French[/name_m] than Arabic to me.

I also like [name_f]Matilda[/name_f], [name_f]Sabrina[/name_f] and [name_f]Noelle[/name_f] with [name_f]Clarisse[/name_f]. [name_f]Camille[/name_f] and [name_f]Celeste[/name_f] are lovely but very matchy with [name_f]Clarisse[/name_f] (starts with C, seven letters, ends in e). [name_f]Tiffany[/name_f] and [name_f]Paulina[/name_f] feel very dated to me while [name_f]Clarisse[/name_f] is more timeless imo.

I’m not a huge fan of [name_f]Nadine[/name_f], but I don’t hate it. It goes okay with [name_f]Clarisse[/name_f] I think. I like your other choices of [name_f]Sabrina[/name_f] and [name_f]Celeste[/name_f] (though I would go with [name_f]Celestia[/name_f] or [name_f]Celestine[/name_f]). I also like the suggestion of [name_f]Nadia[/name_f] a lot, especially how it goes with [name_f]Clarisse[/name_f].

Actually [name_f]Nadine[/name_f] is [name_m]French[/name_m]. We chose because [name_f]Clarisse[/name_f] is [name_m]French[/name_m] as well, and both have two syllables with the second syllable stressed.

I’ve never heard it related to Arabic before and that is interesting. I wonder if that a factor in people’s dislike.

For what it’s worth, my family is from [name_f]Italy[/name_f] and [name_f]France[/name_f], and I am married to a man from the Philippines.

[name_f]Celestia[/name_f] would never work, but [name_f]Celestine[/name_f] might. Husband vetoed [name_f]Nadia[/name_f] a while ago because it is Russian and sounds less attractive in his accent.

What I am getting from the responses is that we probably should change the name. [name_f]Nadine[/name_f] isn’t getting much love online either!

Maybe we will reconsider [name_f]Matilde[/name_f], [name_f]Matilda[/name_f], [name_f]Pauline[/name_f] or [name_f]Paulina[/name_f]. I see your points about c-names and the datedness of [name_f]Tiffany[/name_f].

I don’t mind [name_f]Nadine[/name_f], but it is a little ho-hum. Have you considered [name_f]Sabine[/name_f], or even [name_f]Nina[/name_f]? [name_f]Sabine[/name_f] is a little more sleek, yet it’s similar. [name_f]Nina[/name_f] is a cute alternative.

I think [name_f]Nadine[/name_f] is a fine name! I definitely don’t understand why people are thinking it’s Arabic. It’s definitely [name_m]French[/name_m] and goes very well with [name_f]Clarisse[/name_f]. If you love it then it’s the name you should use. [name_m]Don[/name_m]'t second guess yourself because some strangers on the internet don’t love it as much as you do. Your family will grow to like it once they begin to associate it with your daughter. I absolutely think you should use it!

[name_f]Matilde[/name_f] and [name_f]Matilda[/name_f] are beautiful!

[name_f]Nadine[/name_f] isn’t bad. I prefer [name_f]Noelle[/name_f] or [name_f]Celeste[/name_f]. I think [name_f]Celeste[/name_f] would look weird with [name_f]Clarisse[/name_f] though. If you really like [name_f]Nadine[/name_f], then go with it, because it’s not weird or difficult for people to pronounce or spell, and I’m sure it would grow on everyone. Plus, you have your mom’s blessing. :slight_smile:

I think [name_f]Nadine[/name_f] goes well with [name_f]Clarisse[/name_f]. Too bad we can’t trade family preferences – I’ve had several people in my family mention the name as a suggestion, and it’s just not my style at all.

Not my style… It’s an old lady in mg mind. But I guess that makes it vintage?
I prefer [name_f]Nadia[/name_f], natasha, [name_f]Nora[/name_f], [name_f]Sabrina[/name_f], [name_f]Celine[/name_f], [name_f]Camille[/name_f]
[name_f]Clarisse[/name_f] and [name_f]Camille[/name_f] go great together!

Anyway, this is why I didn’t reveal my name. If you love it, don’t let others talk you out of it!

I dislike [name_f]Nadine[/name_f]. I prefer [name_f]Camille[/name_f] and [name_f]Mathilde[/name_f].

I’m shocked at the hate for Nadine. Don’t change your plan!! Nadine is without a doubt my fav girls name and funny enough Celeste is my other favourite name so we have similar styles. Two syllable French names are gorgeous. They’re elegant and sophisticated without an extra Ella or Esia tacked on to the end so they’re not frilly.

Nadine sounds perfect with Clarisse for the reasons you mentioned. It’s old fashioned but not associated with any decade because it’s never been hugely popular.

For what it’s worth I track Nadine on nameberry and I’ve seen other threads where the feedback is skewed very positive.

Love love love the name.

I think it is a lovely name. In the end, you are the one who has to love it, to write it and say it every day. The rest of the family will come around.

I’ve never heard of the Arabic connection to the name [name_f]Nadine[/name_f]. It is a [name_m]French[/name_m] name and it goes so well with [name_f]Clarisse[/name_f]. I can definitely see two sisters with these names! I think it’s a very nice name, and if it’s the one that you and your husband want, then I say go for it. Everyone else will learn to love it too!

I completely agree with this!